Home Technical Talk

Zbrush, Maya or Photoshop Help

Hi I am about to start modelling Egyptian jewellery and I wondered if anybody could give me some advice

as the attachment shows I have a chest plate and a bangle but I am struggling in zbrush to imitate the surface texture and pattern. would it better for me to create this detail through a Photoshop made height map or model it in Maya then import to zbrush.

I have tried just sculpting in zbrush and I cannot get it right any tips would be greatly appreciated

Replies

• bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    many ways of creating that effect...

if you want a really nice one, here's what I would do:

1 - do your uvs for your lowpoly
    2 - go to photoshop and create some quick shapes in color of what you need for those patterns in the uvs you made.
    3 - go to zbrush, apply the texture you made in your lowpoly with color, and sculpt what you want in a plane (not your model, but a 1x1 plane with uvs)
    4 - when your sculpt is done, frame it and grab the depth of your sculpt.
    5 - come back to your lowpoly model, export it to zbrush
    6 - apply a the displacement map (depth) you captured into your subtool
    7 - You're done.

I know many people do it by hand tho, it's up to you. I find this a bit faster.
  • parodice29
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the response but i am not 100% following you did you mean after you sculpt in the plane use MRGBZ Grabber to create an alpha then stamp the alpha on to the mesh?

if so thanks tried it, it worked well but I'm lacking experience so need some tweaking and I used projection master to sort that out
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    I wouldn't use projection master at all...

You can use MRGBZ grabber or just grab from document (alpha = depth), it's up to you.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    You could do a quick grayscale image in photoshop, load it as a texture and then mask by intensity. A few inflate deforms and it should be good.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    true, that works too, although I hate when the mask doesnt work quite right.