Home Technical Talk

triangulated mesh view

Hey all.
Does anyone have an idea of why I sometimes see the mesh in 3ds 2012 like the preview in the image attached.It's like the view of the mesh starts to look like this after a couple of hour I spend on the file working with 3ds.This triangulated look of every polygon sometimes gets very irritating to the eye.

Thanks! :)

Replies

• volaille
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    volaille polycounter lvl 12
    My guess is that your faces are not planar.

If so, you can easer change the triangulation or make it planar by hitting the "make planar" button.

Hope it will hellp
  • mukuluppal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Volaille but the faces are planar only.Tried the make planar button too.

"easer change the triangulation" ? Mind explaining this a bit.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks like the viewport is set to faceted mode or you're not setting the smoothing groups up properly. I'm having a little trouble understanding what exactly the problem is...
  • mukuluppal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mark Dygert - If you look at the image carefully,a single polygon shows TWO different shades of faces in forms of triangle.
    Basically when I start modelling it shows okay but after sometime or when i restart my file,this bug or whatever gets shown up on the whole model!
    I have no work with smoothing group,I use turbo smooth after my model is done and then refine it.However in an attempt to fix this issue i have tried using smoothing group to certain faces but whenever i go normal(as in when I apply smooth modifier)- the same problem arises again. :S
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    the faceted faces are not smoothed, the smooth ones are smoothed. if you want to see it smoothed apply a single smoothing group to the whole object
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    In 2012, this happens when your mesh does not have any smoothing groups. Apply one smoothing group per face and watch the magic happen! Or, apply a single smoothing group to the entire mesh and have it smoothed.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mukuluppal wrote: »
    Mark Dygert - If you look at the image carefully,a single polygon shows TWO different shades of faces in forms of triangle.
    Basically when I start modelling it shows okay but after sometime or when i restart my file,this bug or whatever gets shown up on the whole model!
    I have no work with smoothing group,I use turbo smooth after my model is done and then refine it.However in an attempt to fix this issue i have tried using smoothing group to certain faces but whenever i go normal(as in when I apply smooth modifier)- the same problem arises again. :S
    Oh I see what you're talking about now. So even if the quad face is perfectly planar the triangles still shows up even if its an invisible edge?

Did it ever work differently in other version? I always thought faceted view worked on tris not quads. To be honest I don't use it much, I normally have everything set to one smoothing group.

It might be a viewport driver issue. Have you tried reverting back to Direct3D?
    Customize, Preferences, viewport tab, choose driver.
  • mukuluppal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guys sorry to be such a lazy ass to respond so late but I had figured out how to fix it.And the solutions is exactly what poopipe and Prophecies.

Prophecies - how can one "Apply one smoothing group per face" :O

Mark Dygert - ya the triangles still used to show up.In earlier version though I never faced such a problem.
    I did try the driver thing before only and it didn't work.

well now we know the solution at least.Thanks guys :) :thumbup:
  • xXm0RpH3usXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xXm0RpH3usXx polycounter lvl 13
    try to add a "smooth" modifier on it, tick "auto smooth" and then change the threshold to 0
    did that work?
  • mukuluppal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xXm0RpH3usXx - Yeah thanks man.I already figured that out as mentioned in my above post.But thanks for the input :) .