Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Ancient temple pond

Hello, I'm about to start working on a UDK environment, based on a concept from http://www.voidart.co.uk/ .

I hope this project will provide me with experience and a better work flow in many areas, such as creating a water shader, adding atmospheric effects, figuring out a good balance between solutions like tiling textures and mesh paint compared to using unique textures.

The budget I've been given is 4x 2048x2048 materials, 50k tris and trying to keep 256px/m.

My planned asset list is:
Modular wall straight,
modular wall corner,
floor tiles x3,
roof tile,
column,
broken column,
pillar x2,
stairs 2x,
round door,
lanterns,
statue,
vegetation,
and various small objects.

In the concept itself the cultural style of the architecture is rather vague, and I'm thinking about going towards a slightly more Mayan/Incan inspired style, so that I can find more references to help me in the detailing.

All kinds of feedback are highly appreciated and I intend to post progress almost every day so that I can get efficient feedback and thereby be able to include all your feedback.

The concept (used with permission from http://www.voidart.co.uk/ ):

F08.jpg

Blockout in UDK:

blockot02.jpg

My moodboard:

moodboard01.jpg

Thanks for reading and please give feedback!

Replies

• cdevens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cdevens polycounter lvl 7
    Looks like you have a good start, looking forward to seeing more.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    I know this is a blockout so I don't want to come off overly critical this early on, however from what I see I would change the texture you're using for the stone. I'm hoping that it is merely a placeholder for now as the concept is much smoother. Also, notice how the stone is different on the main floor than the stone that borders the reflecting pool as well as the stonework used on walls and pillars.
  • Sorken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus wrote: »
    I know this is a blockout so I don't want to come off overly critical this early on, however from what I see I would change the texture you're using for the stone. I'm hoping that it is merely a placeholder for now as the concept is much smoother. Also, notice how the stone is different on the main floor than the stone that borders the reflecting pool as well as the stonework used on walls and pillars.

Don't worry, the current stone texture is just a random material that came with UDK, that I applied cause I was bored with the blue squares.
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron polycounter lvl 13
    Man, that is a fantastic concept. Wish I was working from it.

Looks like a good start to me, but something about the scale feels off. Maybe it's the camera being at a lower angle than the concept but the whole room and the size of the pool seems like it's too small.
  • deadpixl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    deadpixl polycounter lvl 9
    Awesome concept. I agree with Norron, the pool in your scene looks smaller than in the drawing? Can't wait to see what you do with this!
  • Illusive
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusive polycounter lvl 8
    yeah the scale of this looks a little off, the pool especially
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marq4porsche polycounter lvl 9
    This is a great concept, I can't wait to see more. I'll hold my crits until I see the water in so I can judge scale better and these are placeholder textures anyways.
  • Sorken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First off, thanks for all the feedback!

Small update, hopefully much more to come soon. I've been busy with getting up to speed with UDK and finding a maya/mudbox work flow for materials. But now I feel I can focus more on actual content creation.

So first of here is a slightly adjusted blockout (changed the placeholdertexture ^^:

blockout03.jpg

And a floor material:

floor01.jpg
  • Beanwright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It might just be the angle, but it seems like there's not enough spacing between the stairs into the pool and the central structure in the pool. Might just be me though. Solid start otherwise. :)
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    No you're right in some regards. I took the ref and his latest screenshot and overlayed them in photoshop and certain shapes do not match the original picture.

I suggest continually comparing your work in Photoshop and making sure every shape is in the exact same position etc cause it'll help you out later. It's a nice piece to make, I kinda wish I found it before you.
  • Sorken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small progress post. I got a bit carried away by the material editor for a while, but now I'm back on filling the scene with props. I made, among other things, two mesh paint shaders for my walls and floor.

blockout04.jpg
  • snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    I love the concept and it's looking good so far.
    I'll hold off criticisms as everyone has made the main points already, but I would ask why you've gone with an Mayan/Aztec theme?

The concept looks more eastern, like Tibetan, Indian or Thai and personally I'd find that much more interesting to look at than yet another South American ruin in UDK.
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Nice so far, as mentioned above you have some scale issues going on. The circle wall stone area needs to be wider and the scale between wall and pool needs to be checked.

An i agree with SirCalalot on the theme. Go for the concepts actual theme and it will look a whole lot better.

Keep it up anyway!
  • Ex-Ray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ex-Ray polycounter lvl 12
    Good start, if you want to match the concept exactly you may want to adjust the camera's FOV in UDK to something wider.

Also it may be worth while, basing it off the scale of the steps, placing an average height person in the concept which you can then extrapolate some approx measurements of the scene.
  • Sorken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the nice words guys! Will post an update shortly.
    Regarding what a lot of you say about the theme I agree; South America is out the window since some time back. It came quite naturally, I started to look more at the concept and more or less forgot my mood board, so don't worry.

I will look more into the scale and the camera FOV to see if I can get it closer, but now the deadline is drawing near and I need to get all stuff in there as well.

Just so that this post won't be no new images; here is a monkey-lamp. Update of the entire scene will come tonight.

ape01.jpg

And once again; thanks for all the feedback!
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's a nice monkey.
  • Sorken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, update time! Lighting is still very wip and bad, but at least the assets are getting along. Next in line is to make the final pros; the last pillars around the door, the broken pillar, proper textures for the roof. After that its time for proper lighting.

Feedback is as always very appreciated!

blockout05.jpg
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    your water has ripples, in the concept it doesnt move. im liking where this is going :)
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is looking really nice.

As @Jungsik mentioned though, your water shouldn't be rippling as it probably hasn't been disturbed for a very long time.

If you're looking to add some more movement in the screen, how about a couple Coy Carp swimming around in the pool? The intense colour of the water should obscure them nicely, with their silhouettes just about visible when they move beneath the surface.

Apart from that, you're pretty much on top of things or in the process of doing so :)
  • Sorken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik wrote: »
    your water has ripples, in the concept it doesnt move. im liking where this is going :)
    SirCalalot wrote: »
    As @Jungsik mentioned though, your water shouldn't be rippling as it probably hasn't been disturbed for a very long time.
    Yes, I will definitly tone down the ripples in mine, main reason I added them was to make sure it read as water.
    If you're looking to add some more movement in the screen, how about a couple Coy Carp swimming around in the pool? The intense colour of the water should obscure them nicely, with their silhouettes just about visible when they move beneath the surface.
    I'll put fish on my "to do if there is time list" for sure. It would add some nice interest.

Now for a small update. All major meshes are now more or less in. Next up is the roof and the final walls and floor, and then its time for proper lighting.

blockout07.jpg
  • Serith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Serith polycounter lvl 9
    I really like where this is going. Great start. A few things I noticed are your stairs are looking a little droopy on the sides. You could probably vary each step level up some. I can tell that your cylindrical columns have model definition in them, but you could probably exaggerate the modeling some more to help break up the silhouette of the pillars. You might consider adding some additional bevels to that pokeball looking design on the door (haha, for lack of better description), seems a little hard edged right now. Your tree roots/branches are a little unrealistic, (not that big of a deal) but I'd add some more smaller branches branching off of what you've already made. And finally, it's hard to tell the difference between the stairs in the water and the rug on top of them, they look like 1 object. Overall great scene. I can't wait to see how this finishes! Oh, and one final final note. The constraints you're using seem a little lowball, especially for an interior room shot. Don't be afraid to make your scene awesome by breaking those limits.
  • Sorken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Serith wrote: »
    I really like where this is going. Great start. A few things I noticed are your stairs are looking a little droopy on the sides. You could probably vary each step level up some. I can tell that your cylindrical columns have model definition in them, but you could probably exaggerate the modeling some more to help break up the silhouette of the pillars. You might consider adding some additional bevels to that pokeball looking design on the door (haha, for lack of better description), seems a little hard edged right now. Your tree roots/branches are a little unrealistic, (not that big of a deal) but I'd add some more smaller branches branching off of what you've already made. And finally, it's hard to tell the difference between the stairs in the water and the rug on top of them, they look like 1 object. Overall great scene. I can't wait to see how this finishes! Oh, and one final final note. The constraints you're using seem a little lowball, especially for an interior room shot. Don't be afraid to make your scene awesome by breaking those limits.
    Thanks for the feedback. I will look into fixing both the stairs and the pokeball. The tree has been bothering me a while, hopefully some more geometry, better AO and smaller branches will fix it. The constraints I'm using is based on that this is part of a school task. Sadly that also means that it has an impending deadline, so not sure when I'll be able to fix all that, more on that below.

Small update with hopefully some improved lightning. I'm trying to get more contrast into it but so far I'm not achieving what I'd hoped for.

Tomorrow is deadline for this piece, but I will no doubt keep working on it when I get time, which hopefully should be in 2 weeks. Ill try to get lightning better before deadline, and adding the last few small props. And don't be shy to let me know what you think of the fog ^^.

blockout08.jpg

And I must say thanks for all the feedback that helped me get to this point, hopefully I'll have time to look into all those suggestions that I have not had the time to try yet in the future.
  • Serith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Serith polycounter lvl 9
    Ah, good old deadlines. Well, besides my notes, I think you've got a great piece on your hands. Well done!
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    haha damn no wonder, i was thinking you were working really fast, One thing i would try to accomplish when you do start working on it again, is that I think the main focal point in your environment should be that statue, give it more of a ivory feel to it like in the concept !
  • Warotic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha pokeball door. great job on the floor
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like this scene, it's solid and well implemented.

Right, now to nitpick at some very minor details (as that's why we all post our work here) :P
    Some points to consider if you fancy trying to mimic the concept a bit closer:

F08.jpg

The contrast (as you have already mentioned yourself) in your scene is lower than that of the concept. Your scene has a fairly uniform lighting in comparison, where the original image has darker shadows and richer highlights.
    Try lowering the diffuse bounce intensity of the light, so that the shadows are less illuminated (World Properties > Lightmass > Diffuse Boost, I believe). Then with this lowered, up the intensity of your main scene light.
    Try also adding Bloom into your image to accentuate that contrast on the statue (World Properties > WorldInfo > DefaultPostProcessSettings).

Still on lighting, you appear to be using a fairly cold light for your scene, I'm guessing white or slightly blue. Try putting a slight hint of yellow in it to better imitate sunlight and warm up the environment.

Next, materials - your current stone shader is darker and slightly more blue/grey than the concept which uses more of a white/yellow grey. This is making your scene seem colder as the white light is picking up all these blues. There is also less grunge and chipped detail on the stone flooring in the original, leading to a more smooth appearance. To bring detail back into the area, try scattering some leaves about the place like in the original.
    As mentioned by @Jungsik, the focal point of the scene is the statue, which is a different material to the stone, looking more ivory.

If you were worried about the water not actually reading as water, try adding in a SceneCaptureReflectActor and outputting that to a texture to be used as a reflection. There is plenty of documentation on that online.
    Making the water more reflective and possibly adding more lilies should eliminate the need to have it so choppy and distorted.

I hope that is encouraging rather than cutting! :D
  • z0ltan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    z0ltan polycounter lvl 13
    looking pretty good! My biggest crit would be, give it more greeeeen! I think SirCalalot was right on about the contrast. The white statue in the middle and darker outsides really draw the eye in and make you focus on the statue.

Also adding some of the larger damage detail into the floor tiles would break it up (like the damage at the bottom center of the concept). The ceiling could use some break up as well, make it a bit more interesting.
  • Sorken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Serith wrote: »
    Ah, good old deadlines. Well, besides my notes, I think you've got a great piece on your hands. Well done!
    Thank you!
    Jungsik wrote: »
    haha damn no wonder, i was thinking you were working really fast, One thing i would try to accomplish when you do start working on it again, is that I think the main focal point in your environment should be that statue, give it more of a ivory feel to it like in the concept !
    Definitely! I didnt look close enough on the statue and therefore made it rather marble-ish. Ill change it more towards ivory to fit the concept.
    The contrast (as you have already mentioned yourself) in your scene is lower than that of the concept. Your scene has a fairly uniform lighting in comparison, where the original image has darker shadows and richer highlights.
    Try lowering the diffuse bounce intensity of the light, so that the shadows are less illuminated (World Properties > Lightmass > Diffuse Boost, I believe). Then with this lowered, up the intensity of your main scene light.
    Try also adding Bloom into your image to accentuate that contrast on the statue (World Properties > WorldInfo > DefaultPostProcessSettings).

Still on lighting, you appear to be using a fairly cold light for your scene, I'm guessing white or slightly blue. Try putting a slight hint of yellow in it to better imitate sunlight and warm up the environment.

Next, materials - your current stone shader is darker and slightly more blue/grey than the concept which uses more of a white/yellow grey. This is making your scene seem colder as the white light is picking up all these blues. There is also less grunge and chipped detail on the stone flooring in the original, leading to a more smooth appearance. To bring detail back into the area, try scattering some leaves about the place like in the original.
    As mentioned by @Jungsik, the focal point of the scene is the statue, which is a different material to the stone, looking more ivory.

If you were worried about the water not actually reading as water, try adding in a SceneCaptureReflectActor and outputting that to a texture to be used as a reflection. There is plenty of documentation on that online.
    Making the water more reflective and possibly adding more lilies should eliminate the need to have it so choppy and distorted.

I hope that is encouraging rather than cutting! :D

Thanks for the feedback, it's in no way cutting! But sadly, as mentioned before, deadline is a few hours away, so I sadly wont be able to make all the changes id wanted to. That being said I'll do as much as I have time for, and the rest I'll get to when I move back to the piece in the near future!

Ill see what I can do the light and I'll go looking for that bloom for sure. The textures I'll leave for now and then instead go though them all when I get time cause there is a lot of things needing tweaking. Same goes for the water shader, and I'll have a look at getting better reflections in it. About the floor I'll do my best to find time to model some small stones to get in there.
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sounds like you're on top of everything.

Good luck with your hand-in anyway :)
  • Sorken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    z0ltan wrote: »
    looking pretty good! My biggest crit would be, give it more greeeeen! I think SirCalalot was right on about the contrast. The white statue in the middle and darker outsides really draw the eye in and make you focus on the statue.
    Also adding some of the larger damage detail into the floor tiles would break it up (like the damage at the bottom center of the concept). The ceiling could use some break up as well, make it a bit more interesting.
    I've reworkerd the lighting according to SirCalalot's feedback, hopefully it's better now. Ceiling and floor damage I've now put on my todo list when I get time.

Here is the final version for now. Thanks for all the feedback, then things I have not fixed yet I hope t be able to fix when I get back to this piece again! And once again, thanks for all the great feedback, I would not have gotten anywhere near this level without it!

blockout10.jpg
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, that looks sublime!
    Really good job!
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    nice! you could play with the fov / post processing a bit more to get the scene to seem more interesting.
  • dissonance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    for a second there, i thought you'd reposted the concept art.