Home Technical Talk

(Maya!) Another technical question pt.2

Hey guys,

Back with another question which has been on my mind for quite some time now:

I was wondering if there is some way to move multiple vertices at the same time in Maya and have them constrained to their respective edges, as one would be able to do in 3ds max?

Here is an example of what I might want to achieve in Maya, through Max:

CQdRy.jpg

Thanks in advance :).

Replies

• passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    ya unless im missing something maya doesn't have that, which is too bad since it is one of the best features of MAX.
  • MadnessImport
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Theres nothing specifically made to do that Buuuuuuut

wmf78i.png

If you set the scale pivot to the vertex in between the other 2 you can mimic that feature a bit.
    Worked for me

I tried using the Scale/Transform Along normals option but it only gave 50% of whats needed
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    l'd transform the two verts one at a time in local space myself.

then I'd get frustrated with maya , export to max and finish the job with proper tools ;)
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Yes, unfortunately Maya still doesn't have that feature. I really don't understand why Autodesk didn't add this (like many things Max users don't have). BUT, you could duplicate ur object, use Maya live into the other object, and then move each vert by hand. Or also, move the vert in an angle by changing it's axis, and setting it to the edge you want (select the vert you want - hold "w" + LMB, go to axis and set to edge)

If you feel like having a plugin, you can use draster NEX. They have features like constraint and also retopology tools.
  • pinkbox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you can slide verts on edges in maya. but have to do one at a time and sometimes its pretty fiddley.
    hold c and mmb on the edges you want to slide the vert on and then move the mouse along the edge.
    wish maya had more features like max :(