Home Technical Talk

(3DS MAX) Material Help - Opacity Map Confusion

I'm trying to achieve this look: (Just taken to serve as an example from google)

3408023858_19ce068bcd.jpg

Layering Text/Logo over a Vans paint job. So far I've attempted UVW Unwrapping the Van, loading MR 'Car Paint' into the Diffuse Channel, then loading my logo into the Opacity Channel (Saved as both png/gif).

Cheers

Replies

• SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    I think you got something wrong there, the Opacity channel makes things transparent(or not depending on the opacity value)
  • Cdawilliams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter wrote: »
    I think you got something wrong there, the Opacity channel makes things transparent(or not depending on the opacity value)

I was experimenting having read something in a tutorial - I managed to get the logo to appear along with the Paint but it was grey and lost all its original colour.

With my unwrap, I made every transparent then saved it was a gif in hope that would only show the logo and ignore the rest of the unwrap texture.

Is there a method of achieving what I'm after? Spent 4 hours yesterday racking my brains as to how to do it.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I i understood you right you could do this for example:

- Add a mix map to your Diffuse Slot
    - Add your carpaint material in one slot
    - Add your overlay(the text) to the other slot
    - Add your overlay to the mix amount slot and Under Bitmap Parameters change Mono channel output too Alpha
    - Done

Edit: For more complex things you should consider looking at the composite map and play around with that it´s really easy ;)

overlay.PNG

I used the Carpaint Material as base, added the paw(png image with alpha) and another image with text(png with alpha too)
  • Cdawilliams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was experimenting having read something in a tutorial - I managed to get the logo to appear along with the Paint but it was grey and lost all its original colour.

With my unwrap, I made every transparent then saved it was a gif in hope that would only show the logo and ignore the rest of the unwrap texture.

Is there a method of achieving what I'm after? Spent 4 hours yesterday racking my brains as to how to do it.

You, Sir, are my hero. Thank you!

I was just about ready to twin Falcon Punch both monitors.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No problem just make sure to take a look at the Composite Map too ;)

Edit: Another pair of monitors rescued!:poly142:
  • Cdawilliams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll experiment with that now - This was exactly the look I was going for.

Before your response I had settled with adding black to the background of the logo, loading it into the diffuse channel and adding Reflect/Refract to the Reflect Channel. It worked but doesn't yield as good a result as the method you just showed me :)

[EDIT] My Composite looks different to the one in your screenshot - Not sure if its because I'm using 2012
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My Composite looks different to the one in your screenshot - Not sure if its because I'm using 2012

Make sure you're using Composite Map, not Composite Material. Very different controls and results.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eric is right i used the Composite Map in the Diffuse Channel not the Composite Material.
    Just pick a standard material and add a Composite Map in the Diffuse and you get what you see in my Screenshot.