Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Elite Samurai Hunter

OniLolz
polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
OniLolz polycounter lvl 13
Hello guys!
EDIT: Not really a samurai. Just an adventurer/hunter.
I will make a fantasy hunter. His best friends are a baby dinosaur and a green flame:)
Last Update:
Well, finished!
Hunterbeauty.png
Hunterfrontback.png
HunterSpec.png
I recreated the face. I wanted it to look more serious and angry.
SjIua.jpg
Some of my references:
Mqyb3.png

WIP
z3P6T.png

PS: I really have problems with doing bandages.Does anyone have a tutorial or tips to do it in Maya or Zbrush?:)

Replies

• vikk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vikk0 polycounter lvl 6
    Hey oni, nice concept and modeling so far.

There are some issues on the anatomy, the thumbs look in a bad position, and there is no much definition on the forearm, also the wrists. I think you didn't finished the fists, so there are somethings to fix, like the thumb nail, its really little and looks kinda deformed (as if someone smashed it).

Yeah, bandages are difficult for me too, I hope someone have a good tip for u (and me too)

I'll look forward on this, good luck
  • OniLolz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vikk0:: Yeah, the hands are not finished, soon I'll fix that!

A small update:
    Blocked his equipment:)
    M8MMI.png
  • OniLolz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update:

CHrPi.png
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    good stuff man! I think you should find some reference of a real person that fits the look in the face you are going for because at the moment you are lacking a lot of structure in the face. Yes I know he is anime-ish but there still has to be rules that are followed when it comes to anatomy.

You could buff out his latts a bit more so they show in the front. And you could probably check into the abs a bit more and also the connection of the tricep into the back.

Keep up the good work man. Reminds me of this.
  • OniLolz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @jeremiah_bigley: I agree with everything you said. His face is bothering me too; It's not finished, I just didn't know what to do with his face (design), out and started doing his equipment.

The connection of the triceps into the back is weirdo too. Soon I'll fix that!

Thank you:)

edit: This Blade Master is awesome!
  • Sebeuroc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebeuroc polycounter lvl 13
    The face jumps out at me at feeling a bit off. It looks like his mouth is too wide and his eyes are a little high on his head. Also his pecs are too high and his clavicles should form more a a horizontal line and less of a V shape.

Maybe you just haven't gotten to it yet, but don't forget to add buckles on the belt or armor straps. If you put those on it will add a lot.

Critiques aside, the overall design is pretty cool. Keep working!
  • OniLolz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Sebeuroc: Oh yeah, I didn't forget the buckles:)
    It has a lot of stuff that I didn't put.
    I agree with the mouth and clavicles. I still have much to do with the body.

Thank you!

Last update of the day:

qAXd3.png
  • OniLolz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Today's update:
    Fixed the face a little bit and did some stuff...I'm too lazy in this one:(
    rKfdD.png
  • OniLolz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One more update:
    Did the bandages, the pouch and tweaked some stuff
    EFOwb.png

Obs: I don't even know why I wrote "Elite Samurai Hunter" in the title of the thread :poly124:
  • madmuffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    madmuffin polycounter lvl 7
    No one has brought this up yet, but where are his nipples?
  • Free_Fall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Free_Fall polycounter lvl 8
    Real men don't need nipples
  • OniLolz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @madmuffin: He has no nipples because my workflow is weirdo and this kind of stuff I put in the end :poly121:

One more update:
    Now I think it's getting cool :)
    6qcLA.png
  • OniLolz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update:
    Still have to change his hair, add more detail in some stuff and do his weapons :)
    xOzh1.png
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    its a good sculpt, but theres a couple of things that jump out to me...

the jaw line needs work; it needs more definition, especially when its becomes the chin; the chin is too rounded and blends with the jawline too much. the head might be too small also

although the pants are a good start, im not agreeing with the folds they form, more pant leg folds are really straighter at some point of tension or they zigzag at joint areas, i suggest looking up more references for pant folds that are of that type.

the ankle area looks a bit weird, especially the heel/achilles tendon area

the biceps are looking a tad like a parenthesis shape, maybe tweak those a bit

also a sideview would be nice

i hope this helps out, good luck!
  • Seirei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Regarding to the newest version of the face:
    1326376923015_6199889.png

I realy like how it looks now. The new assets also look realy well done. I'll keep an eye on that one. :)
  • vikk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vikk0 polycounter lvl 6
    Yeah, you improved a lot on the body. The face still bother me out... What references are you going for the face? Maybe you could have it based on someone's face. ^^
    And oh hell, the thumbs are still weird IMO!!! :O Idk if its the position, but it looks like if it is on the same height of the little finger...also, their are bad sculpted and too curvy to inside of the hand without an definition of the phalanges.

Keep updating :) Gluck
  • OniLolz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @garriola83: I agree with you. the head is a little bit weird and needs definition, but the size i think it's pretty cool since it's stylized and the "flow" is ok.
    I agree with the pants, the folds are a mess:( The ankle is very ugly too.
    Thank you!

@Seirei: Thank you man!

@Hboybowen: Yeah, I know. :(

@vikk0: Yeah, the fingers really need some adjustment.
    Thank you!

Update:
    OMFG! I don't know how to do his hair!Does anyone know how to do a good hair blocking?

The ears are very wip, btw.

Jg4ml.png
    5n8gK.png
  • OniLolz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updaaaate:
    I really need to fix his face..
    hH6Us.jpg
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Looking really cool, man - Really digging the armour.

In general, your anatomy isn't bad at all but I think what's happening is that you are floating in between "stylized" and "realism" by not really committing to either one. In my opinion, I would push your character's fleshy bits one way or the other by either embracing the harder edges that you are using to define muscles (like at the delts) or soften him up and go more "life like." If yo go for the second option, I think you need to consider more how his weight would fall off of his bones - which is definitely a problem you're having on his face, namely around his mouth and nasal folds. A problem with using anime as a reference and not FULLY going for that look is that features tend to fall flat - which is what is happening to your characters face.
  • zakhar2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zakhar2 polycounter lvl 6
    Idk if youre going towards realistic proportions, so im not sure this is gonna help but i made you a paintover. m9FKK.gif
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan Smith polycounter lvl 11
    I still think the face is holding this back. The ears need lots of work, the eyes and nose look good, i think the mouth may be a bit too wide. Experiment with pulling that in a bit. It may work, it may not.
  • OniLolz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Gav:Thank you man! You realized something I didn't. Your crits helped me a lot!
    @zakhar2:Thanks for the paint over! This was very useful!:)
    @Virtuosic: Yeah, that's what I did now. I really have problems with mouths :( Thank you!

Update:
    I recreated the face. I wanted it to look more serious and angry.
    SjIua.jpg
  • OniLolz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update:
    Bone sword!
    NFb61.png
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Looks like a sword made out of clay, you need to make that thing look metal and hard even though you're working in Zbrush. You'd probably be way better off doing creating a sword from scratch using sub-d in your 3d modeling software and just add the finishing touch in Zbrush. Good work so far though! :)
  • OniLolz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @chrisradsby: My intention was to create a sword made of a giant bone but the base is made of metal. But maybe the bone is looking like a little bit clay:(
  • Fnitrox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fnitrox polycounter lvl 6
    this is coming along nicely, but...why runes on a samurai?
  • OniLolz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Fnitrox:Hehe, he is not really a samurai. Samurai is one of my references to do his character and I didn't know what to write on the title LOL. He is a hunter/adventurer and his armor was collected along his adventure :)
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Check out the work by Paul Richards (and maybe Joe Mad's Battle Chasers) and look at some of the weapon designs - You could definitely have this weapon, but maybe consider having the blade be more of a shaved / chiseled bone with it's connection points to the hilt being more natural and bumpy :)
  • OniLolz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Gav: Thank you for showing these references! But I'm participating in a mini contest and do not have much time, then I can not make many changes in design =/ But if I have time, I will try to change some things. :)

Update:
    Finished the body retopology
    4EzZr.png
  • Dagon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dagon polygon
    It looks all good but long hair would really suit your Samurai Warrior similar to this: http://www.movienewz.com/wp-content/gallery/conan-the-barbarian/conan_the_barbarian_3d_05.jpg
  • OniLolz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Dagon: I can't see the image :(
  • vikk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vikk0 polycounter lvl 6
    Hey Oni,

Thats a lots of improvement huh! I like how far you did with him, but there is something that is annoying me. Well, his nose looks like if it doesn't belong to the face.....I don't know to to fix it, but I'd try another shape for his nose to look more aggressive
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    you might have too many loops on that low poly retopo. reduce the amount without harming the silhouette.
  • OniLolz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @vikk0: I will do some tweaking on the lowpoly :) Thanks!
    @garriola83: I don't have much time now, but I will reduce some loops on the arm that will be hidden by the armor. Thank you!

Update:
    Started the diffuse map, still VERY WIP. Armor not included:)
    G1OTY.png
  • specsowl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    specsowl polycounter lvl 6
    The sword looks a bit too much like a club and the area surrounding the sharpened bit look like they were just rubbed across rather than hewn in stone. Perhaps sharpening it up some will give a much meaner and deadlier look. Other than that, it's impressive.
  • OniLolz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @specsowl: Thank you for the advices!

Update:
    Oh man, I have only 3 days left to submit it and still needs a lot of work, especially on his hand, bandages and the sword :poly127:
    I had some issues with the hair, so I gave up for now

Diffuse only, no specular yet:
    SZngA.png
  • OniLolz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mvrfJ.png RUSH RUSH RUSH, two days left! Time to pose this sh*t and tweak some stuff
  • vikk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vikk0 polycounter lvl 6
    Great job. There are still some issues, but we can't just keep on perfection on one single model. We must always progress and the next model will be even better!
    I liked how you finished it, and how you defended your art style.

Wires and textures for us please? ^^
  • Kiel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks amazing =) I reaaly like the design, it looks better now with the bandana.
    Good work!
  • OniLolz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Kiel/@Vikk0:Thank you!

Well, finished!
    Hunterbeauty.png
    Hunterfrontback.png
    HunterSpec.png

Post Mortem
    Well, this was the first "next/current gen" character I finished, and I learned a lot along the process. First of all, I'd like to thank the community for all the support!:)
    The final result has a lot of problems,and I will mention some:

Design: I liked the design, but I couldn't really catch the "soul" of what I really wanted. It's not poor or ugly, but it's not awesome.

Poly Count: Too high for this character and the hands and shoulder don't have a good silhouette.

UV Space: I left too much empty space just to avoid seams.

Textures: It is good overall, but lacked love in some parts.

Again, thank you!
  • vikk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vikk0 polycounter lvl 6
    Well, since I'm looking your work from beginning, you made a lot of changes from your initial concept, and probably you gave up of his pets. But thats totally normal when you have a schedule to follow.
    So, congratulations, you've improved a lot and the final result is pretty smooth. There are some anatomy problems, but its nothing that troublesome. ^^
    The mesh is very clean, regardless the number of tris, I have nothing to say about the retopo. Pretty good.
    You've done well on textures too, and well, as I can see on your portfolio, you seems to be a new artist, so its a great start bro!
    NJ, Keep improving :)
  • OniLolz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @vikk0:Thank you very much! My next character will be so much better:)

Small update: Turntable video

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KD1vzNiCAEw"]Fantasy Hunter - Marmoset Toolbag - YouTube[/ame]