Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

James Vs Reality

Not sure if this is the just for game art pimping so if it is mods I apologize and please just move it to a suitable part of the forum.

Almost 2 years back I got to do a creature for an indie film called James Vs Reality. If you like crazy Syfy style cheesy movies and have 25 mins spare give it a watch if you want to just see the work you can skip ahead to around 16:50. I did the modelling, Texturing and shaders for the creature.

Let me know what you think and if you like it feel free to pass the link on

thanks

Malc

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCNLphlmopQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCNLphlmopQ[/ame]

Replies

• Razgriz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razgriz keyframe
    This is possibly the cheesiest thing I have ever seen - but the creature work is pretty great! Well done, too bad those dorky actors are interfering with the awesome monster.
  • Beelzeboss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LOL if you found it cheesy it is doing its job well. Glad you liked the creature
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    Wow. Lol? I really don't know what to say to that. I guess the bum at the beginning threw me off for a while. Really like the creature. You should so post some high-res renders of this thing...

and maybe some break down shots! PLEASE!
  • Beelzeboss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks I will go through what I have and see what is worth posting I think I have some progress shots knocking around
  • Beelzeboss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok I have just had a quick look I will drop some progress stuff here sorry about the lack of order and chaos It was finished well over a year ago and some is still on my old laptop and this is all chucked together.

As far as the workflow I don't have many renders for now so I will do a mini write up of my experience.
    So to start this beast I blocked out a rough mesh in max and took this into Zbrush and used transpose to really shape it and try and get a feel for the proportions.
    Once looking roughly right I took it into topogun to retopologize and then did a back and forth with the directors to get the silhouette close to what they wanted.
    At this point I was going to use Mudbox initially because I prefer it for texturing and would have liked to have stayed in one app but my Laptop at the time was a piece of shit and it just couldn't handle it so I worked in Zbrush for the sculpting which I prefer anyway.
    I went back and forth evolving their design we tired various ideas during the course some stayed and some changed but the directors were great to work with they may come with an idea you can suggest something that you think worked better and they would listen. Sometimes I would have to knock up a quick concept in Zbrush so it could be conveyed quickly the tripod feet was one of these they had a rough idea of what they wanted and I suggested an almost cone shape which would open up but they didn't feel it would work so I did a quick mock up Zbrush is great for that can show an idea in minutes.
    Once the overall design was down and the feel of the creature was there I did my final retopo and unwrapped the model I reporjected the details onto the new meshes and sent this over to the director so he could start his animating While I went into detailing the model. I couldn't push this as far as I would have liked because I just couldn't get the resolution out of my Craptop but because there wasn't going to be any super close shots it wasn't really needed and we could get away with a lot.
    Once this was done it was a back and forth getting the textures down this didn't take too long but setting up the shaders in vray did as I had to wait for each render which was a little painful when you are making small changes. There was also a bit of teething getting the displacements to work over multiple UV tiles and Material IDs in Vray.
    From here until the end of my work it was just a bit of back and forth getting exactly what they needed for the shots.

Lessons learned don't do movie work on a shitty laptop and if you are doing a full time job during the day and this at night don't expect to sleep much

Hmmm can't seem to post pics I will restart my browser and try again
  • Beelzeboss
  • Beelzeboss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK I had no joy uploading pictures so I made a google plus album I hope this works for everyone not a great deal in there put at least gives some WIP shots

https://plus.google.com/photos/102643687789731384550/albums/5701506861438448561?authkey=CK6M2rX3ss3Kdw
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    Wow! Great models and i took a look at your google+ album very inspiring
  • Beelzeboss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks Jungsik
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    That was great, the creature is better than some big productions i've seen recently. The cheezy acting and humor were great, i especially liked the fat bearded mental patient.
  • Beelzeboss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats a HUGE compliment thanks I am glad people seem to like it we were never sure if people would get that it is intentionally cheesy and silly or even get that humor.

the bearded guy is JV Williams he is great 2shit just got real". He did an intro on the DVD which was pretty funny