Home Technical Talk

3DS Max 2012 Anti-Aliased Wireframe + Edged Faces in Viewport

Hello everyone, just simple question here. Hopefully this hasn't been asked before.

I've seen some tutorial videos beforehand where the user has had their wireframe and edged faces view in the viewport with anti-aliased lines over their mesh.

Does anyone know how to change Max to do this? I've managed to get Anti-Aliased Wireframe only in the viewport, but not with the mesh still visable underneath.

Thanks in advance. :)

Replies

• T.Bull
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    T.Bull polycounter lvl 13
    Customize -> Preferences -> Viewports -> Configure Driver -> Enable Antialised Lines in Wireframe Views
  • terrybuchan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah that's what i did but it doesn't work in edged faces mode as well. Only in the wireframe view (F3). But the wireframe and edged faces view doesn't have antialised lines.
  • T.Bull
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    T.Bull polycounter lvl 13
    Ok, strange.. it does it for me... you know on what viewportdriver he was working on? Or on what one you are? DirectX or Nitruos? And did you put up the Samples to 2x, 4x or 8x?
  • terrybuchan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The default is set to Nirtruos and i changed it to DirectX. I ticked the box and changed the samples, and the wireframe only view works great, but not the edged faces view for some reason. Furthermore, not sure if it's rellevant, but once i change the sample number (2 4 or 8) i believe, click ok and then go to change it to something else, it seems to revert back to 'None' in the window. But the ticked 'enable antialised lines in wireframe views' box still remains ticked.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    Hey terrybuchan,

Did you end up finding a solution ?

I'd also love to know if anyone has had any luck with Viewport AA using Direct3d!
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    You can force it in your driver settings iirc
  • Butthair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Butthair polycounter lvl 11
    Just to clear anything up, you would need to switch to Direct3D and restart Max. Upon opening, the viewport should already look a bit different - Max should set wireframe AA to x2.

I have this working atm - I changed the samples from x2 to x8 and by default it had "Enable Antialiased Line in Wireframe Views" which does AA for shaded and wireframe viewing modes.

Under Viewport Configuration > Lighting and Shadows, I have "Illuminate Scene with: Scene Lights", everything else is off - no hardware Shading, no AO, no shadows, etc.
  • InSAN3FranK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just following what Butthair have said, its only work for me if I start 3dsmax2013 in "Administrator" right click on the icon of 3dsmax2013.exe and choose start as administrator after it works. The ony problem I notice its my edges, now got a bit tickier, after added anti-aliazing