Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] - Mattias Van Camp - environment / 3D artist

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
MaVCArt polycounter lvl 8
i recently finished my portfolio (but for one more piece of work that is still WIP, but is incoming shortly), and am now officially looking for an internship :) i'm gonna hold off on sending around applications until I can put that final piece of work on there, so for now I decided to post it on here to get some feedback on both the design and the quality of the works :)

I read somewhere here that someone found it annoying not to know what's coming, so I took the liberty to post some of the images on my site

also one very important thing to note: i'm still a student, and the limited amount of works on the site is due to the inadequate quality of my early works, which is something most of you will understand i'm sure :)

edit: forgot my link!! hahaha

http://www.mattiasvancamp.com

subway01.jpg

Replies

• MaVCArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *bump* some feedback or at least an opinion on this would be greatly appreciated :) don't mean to aggrovate anyone by bumping this, so sorry if I did
  • Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    I like the folio layout, but I think the images need to be taller, the bars make it too busy imo, taller images will healp break it up. With regard to content, you could add wires to the props, along with polycounts and texture breakdowns. keep it up dude.
  • Kozak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Regarding the mobile light tower model:

It would be helpful to show the texture maps for this model. It could be wrong, but it seems you used separate textures for the different pieces, and there's some mismatch in resolution. There's also a few areas would benefit from bump mapping (wheel caps, gas canister).

The model has a few very hard edges that give it an unpleasant "CG" look. Especially the supports near the ground and the containers for the gas canister and the fire extinguisher.

Finally, it's not clear at first what the model actually is. To clarify, it'd be nice to show a shot of the light tower in both an expanded and collapsed orientation.
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    +1 with Walrus.
    I want to know, what's the place holder? Is it temporary?
    Also, buttons on the bottom right are away of the canvas, which is a little detail to fix. And, don't forget to put visually your e-mail address somewhere, it's easier for us.
  • MaVCArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    first of all, thanks for the great critiques, i have already implemented them in my html files on my computer, and i'll upload them as soon as my internet is off smallband again ^^ (i'm thrilled I can even get polycount to load)

so here come the replies:

@walrus, thanks, yes you're completely right, i'll implement that, very good suggestion

@kozak: i'll add the maps :) yes there are some resolution issues that i couldn't seem to solve, perhaps because I went a bit overboard on texture resolution in the main parts of the generator (the yellow parts). it's true that the model has some very hard edges and there are still mistakes in there, but as a learning experience it taught me a lot. also, probably the only reason why I put it on my portfolio is because it's the best prop I have at this moment, at least as a seperate piece. I haven't had the time to do anything else unfortunately.

@megalmn2000: yes the placeholder is temporary, i'm working on a piece right now that should be finished by the day after tomorrow, sunday at the latest :) and yes I noticed the buttons. it's weird, they looked fine on my desktop but were suddenly messed up when I opened the site on my laptop. and then when I opened it on my desktop again, it was messed up there, too...
  • MaVCArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i managed to update a bit of my site, hadn't have time to include the suggestion I got regarding design though.

new stuff: wires/maps and extra information on light tower, extra information on team work projects, pdf/word download of resume.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Good stuff man! Good luck in your career, you have loads of potential!
  • MaVCArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks HP! that's a huge compliment coming from you! :D i really appreciate it :)
  • MaVCArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I updated the site, removed the bars on the content images. I have a problem with this though, it seems the page is all of a sudden devoid of information. I tried putting text below the images, but that doesn't really work too...

does anyone care to give some suggestions as to how to present my content on my index page?

http://www.mattiasvancamp.com
  • David-J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    David-J polycounter lvl 11
    Cool stuff. For now I would remove the placeholders, what's the point at this moment if you don't have work to put there. It's just distracting in my opinion.

One thing confuses me. In both of your works you are posting the time that it took you to make it. And for both you have one week. For one asset and for a whole environment, with multiple assets, textured, with lighting and even FX you have the same amount of time. I found that very hard to believe.
  • MaVCArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    David-J wrote: »
    Cool stuff. For now I would remove the placeholders, what's the point at this moment if you don't have work to put there. It's just distracting in my opinion.

One thing confuses me. In both of your works you are posting the time that it took you to make it. And for both you have one week. For one asset and for a whole environment, with multiple assets, textured, with lighting and even FX you have the same amount of time. I found that very hard to believe.

well actually it's true :) I put in the light tower description that it took me a week, while working on school assignments at the same time.
    the whole environment took me about a week, not working on anything else at all, and working long days from early in the morning until very late in the evening. so there's actually a big difference in time distribution
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    MaVCArt wrote: »
    well actually it's true :) I put in the light tower description that it took me a week, while working on school assignments at the same time.
    the whole environment took me about a week, not working on anything else at all, and working long days from early in the morning until very late in the evening. so there's actually a big difference in time distribution

Spend another week on them then. They definitely need a lot more polish overall.
  • MaVCArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights wrote: »
    Spend another week on them then. They definitely need a lot more polish overall.

I agree that some more polish is warranted, but unfortunately I don't have any time left to do all that. my school assignments are piling up and frankly the week i spent doing this set those assignments back quite a bit.

the important thing though is that I learned a hell of a lot about environment art while working on this, which, in the end, is really the important thing.
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    I might think you should take away the buttons on the bottom, they looks a bit random.
    It's better if you put them on the appropriate sections.
    Ex : PDF and Word icon on the resume section, Facebook & LinkedIn icons on the contact section. And don't forget to finish the Mustang! Only the high poly looks unfinished.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Try and sharpen your images a bit, especially the Cryengine screenshots come across as blurry to me.
  • MaVCArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @xoliul: they do, but I got them directly from the editor with the screenshot command. if you know a way to take a sharper screenshot, please share because i honestly don't know how :) there's a high res screenshot command, yes, but for some reason they come out really weird.

@megalmn2000: thanks, I left the network buttons, but I darkened them and made them interactive with a mouseover event, so they don't stand out as much. I did remove the pdf and word file buttons though, but I left them on my resume page.
    I also removed the placeholder for now, like you suggested :) there's gonne be something there very shortly, probably this weekend.
  • MaVCArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bumping this again, since I delivered this for my examn two days ago, and the feedback was relatively positive.

also, my site now has a facebook like and send button on every page, so please like!

feedback is still appreciated :)

www.mattiasvancamp.com
  • Darkmaster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darkmaster polycounter lvl 11
    This is some good work! I won't rehash too much of what has already been stated above, but I think that you need to do a sweet breakdown of the subway environment! It is definitely your strongest piece on your site, so really showing us your process, and showcasing your standalone props will really take this to the next level!
  • MaVCArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @basicaly everyone:

I really have spent much attention to all of you comments, believe me, but I just haven't had any time to implement them :) I just don't want to come across as a person that doesn't spend any time on other people's feedback, because I really do use your feedback :)

@DarkMaster: yes, that was one of the comments on my examn, and as soon as my examns are over i'm going to set about upgrading everything and putting together a breakdown :)