Home Technical Talk

Rendering Wireframe on model using Mental Ray in Maya problem

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Ricky polycounter lvl 12
Hey, i'm trying to render the wireframe ontop of my model using Mental Ray. I know it can do this, and i've made it do this before, and still can, but there's a problem.

I can only get it to render on a Lambert Shader, but most tutorials say you can do it to any shader. I want to render it over a Phong, but any main shader apart from Lambert just causes Maya to crash immediately when told to render.

Can anyone tell me why this is happening please?

Replies

• pinkbox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Look up contour render settings. You have to enable contours in the render settings and also enable it in the shader your using
  • MadnessImport
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you applying a Lambert to a model then switching it from the drop down menu? That could cause Maya to crash in Various weird ways

Use a contour simple shader and make sure you have the settings enabled in the render settings window
    kapok5.png

And since that image may not be there forever [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGNskDIm8uk"]Contour Rendering with Mental Ray - 02 - YouTube[/ame] heres a helpful video
  • Ricky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ricky polycounter lvl 12
    Hey thanks for the help guys... after a while i've found the problem. The wireframe will not render on any shader other than lambert it you have all of mental rays features turned on aswell. It only support the basic features that are on by default to allow it to work it seems, which is odd but i guess they advanced features are not required if just rendering for the mesh anyway.

In terms of how i applied the shader i already knew how to do it, my problem was just that only lambert would then render it and other shaders would just cause a crash. As i've now said, it turned out you cannot render wireframe on models if you have all features like final gather and global illumination set to on for some reason.

Thanks again ^^
  • pinkbox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    uh yeh duno why it crashes but... the best i could do was use the MIA material. which is a mentalray mat which is prob why it doesnt crash. i've been using that since it came out for all my shaders so never came across the problem you have..
    also by using the mia mat it let me render with global illum and final gather.
    the mental ray carpaint shader worked no probs either.

another thing to do it just render the contours with hide source checked and then overlay in photoshop over your original render

WTF now ive just tried the blinn and phong again while typing this and it worked without crashing :/ very mysterious
  • pinkbox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ah ha! i figured what causes it to crash!!

dont enable Importions
  • Ricky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ricky polycounter lvl 12
    xD Ah right cool. So do MIA shaders work regardless then still? That's handy to know. And cool ok i'll keep that in mind, Importions cause it. I figured our that it was one of these options late last night and couldn't be bothered to sit and try each one indervidually to figure that out at the time so handy you did ^^

Thanks for the help guys :)