Home Technical Talk

small zbrushproblem

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
Hi I am sculpting throusers and I wanted to make a sewing line on both sides of the legs , so I start drawing on a side with simmety on and backface on , but altough the sewing comes perfect on the side I draw on the other side looks sometimes added some other ssubtracted and not simetrical why? and how can I do to obtain the simmetricity?

Replies

• Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    if you are importing a mesh into zbrush make sure its at 0,0,0 before you export it.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    it is centered in 0 0 0 ...
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    Try turning on posable symmetry. Sounds like you may have sculpted one side differently to the other before turning on symmetry

What it does is use the geometry of the mesh to mirror rather than the centre axis. This obviously means ur topology needs to be symmetrical
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    the sides are perfectly symetrical ... but it treats the other side like dunno opposite painting in deepness....
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    I'd double check in an external application to make sure the mesh you're trying to work on is truly symmetrical. Make sure L.Sym is on, and that there are no other meshes in the same subtool that would through off the symmetry of the entire subtool.

You could try using the resym options to fix the symmetry, or use S.Pivot to change the center point (disable l.sym in this case)
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    wher eI find this button? anyway the model is centered in 0 0 0 ...
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Transform Palette. It will also be on the right shelf.
    A model at 0,0,0 probably wont do much if that's not where the mesh's actual line of symmetry is. In otherwards if you have a person standing at 0,0,0 and their left arm is one inch longer than the right, he's not symmetrical.

What does the mesh look like lowest subdivision, front view, orthographic, polyframe on?
  • Butthair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Butthair polycounter lvl 11
    It's going to determine symmetry for the entire model, not specifically each each component or mesh, so be sure the entirety of the model is set symmetrically (or at least the parts you want).

L. Sym (local Symmetry) is located on the right side bar, or else under the Tranform menu.

ReSym is under Tool > Deformations. Be sure to mask the half of the model to reSym before you do so.
  • Beelzeboss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are your normals flipped on one side did you mirror the geometry when making the base. I would imagine that could cause the effect you are getting if the brushes push and pull based on the normal direction.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Beelzeboss wrote: »
    Are your normals flipped on one side did you mirror the geometry when making the base. I would imagine that could cause the effect you are getting if the brushes push and pull based on the normal direction.

I just tried that, for science. It produces a visual effect that is a dead give away to flipped normals and requires the extra step of enabling a double-sided display to counter, and interestingly the brushes still behave symmetrically either way.

Edit: And with backface-automasking on like mentioned previously, just ignores the flipped half altogether.