Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Moonshire - WoW Inspired environment

Environment Video:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqrLRk8g8js"]UDK WoW Inspired Environment - Moonbrock - 1080p - YouTube[/ame]

Original post:
Hello guys ! After lurking here for about a year or more I desided to actually post something since I'd love some feedback and perhaps some help.

Currently making new environments for my portfolio so I can delete everything that on it atm since most of it is horrible :)

Decided to do one Hand painted environment as a start.
Ill put together a texture sheet for my textures later on, I seem to keep going back and handpaint over as I get a bit better haha :)

I'll struggle most with lighting and colors in my scene

Here is some of my houses:

house1_new.png

house2_new.png

Replies

• Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    This is looking kinda cool!, Any texture break downs or wireframes we can see?
  • MattFall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated my original post with new images of some of the houses.

Got most of it in UDK at the moment so I'll post screens from that soon, I just cant seem to get my lighting looking good like at all, been at it for 2 days lol. So hopefully you guys can help me out with that :D

Got a few more renders of some models (rendered these out in marmoset):
    I can also post texture sheet once I'm done if anyone wants to see them, noticed alot of them needs to be redone and cleaned up. Anyway pics !

house3_new.png

house_tower.png

Barrel.png

fences.png

lamps.png

bridge.png
  • dissonance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i'm really liking the color scheme you have going.
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Wow . . . these are really nice! :] I like the textures, and the shapes you have going on are really interesting too. Your renders are kindof hard to see though - I would try using a lighter background or something.

As for lighting, I've been learning a lot about that lately too, and here is some advice people gave me: Turn on self-illumination for your textures (between 50-70%, but you should totally experiment what value is best for you) and light with a warm directional light from the front. You can add a fill light too, if you want, like a weaker, cool one. Not sure if you know all this already, but this advice was really helpful to me! :)

I would love to see the texture sheets.
  • Andy H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andy H polycounter lvl 8
    Really inspiring, love the bridge! Are these self illuminated or with lights in UDK?

Edit: Jessica posted while I was typing. :)
  • MattFall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Jessica :)

Ill remember that for future renders, most of these images are also scaled down around 50-60% - not sure if people would like massive images :P

Yea I've done pretty much what you've said but it still comes off as really bad looking, taking a few screens now so should be up soon :)
  • MattFall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tried for like 2 days to get it to look good during full daylight, but it just didn't work out, so I've now ended up with semi night environment. Ill try find my backup for the full daylight one so we can work on that too :P
    (sized these down a bit too hope that's okey )

and excuse some of to overused bloom, especially to the right, no idea why that's happening
    comments and crits very much appreciated, no matter how harsh it is :)

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png
  • Tokoya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tokoya polycounter lvl 7
    Ill be watching this thread, I love the overall look of the village and your textures have a good style, youve captured the WoW style for sure
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marq4porsche polycounter lvl 9
    I'm liking it so far, you've really got the wow feel in your textures and modeling. I think it's a bit too dark though and it is kinda hard to read because everything feels the same color wise. Looking forward to more progress.
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Toss in some fog for atmosphere and it's going to look awesomer
  • jsargent
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jsargent polycounter lvl 5
    I would put some nice chunky wooden beams along the top of the roofs in the first pics. Other than that it looks really really nice :)
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    Assets on their own look good, especially that bridge to me. Which I think means your weak points here are lighting and concistency in the big picture.

For the lighting if it's nighttime use a strong moon light to create some slight shadowing here and there for example.

The water is looking out of place in my opinion because of its realistic look.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    There's no value separation right now. The trees should be a darker or lighter value than the house, etc.

Like ParoXum says there is no focal point with the lighting.

The individual assets are looking great. I really like your modeling on the bridge. It reads well. Some killer lighting will really help solidify it all together.
  • MattFall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks so much guys !
    @Tokoya and marq4porsche - thanks :) Yea ill work more on my contrast and colors.
    @Gannon - I will and thanks :D
    @jsargent - odd that you mentioned it, I already have the beams for the buldings made, but I took them off before exporting since i wanted them pointy, but ill definitely try that out :)

@ParoXum jeffro - Thanks you ! Ill definitely do all of that :) I'm having problems lighting up my entire village with just a Dominant directional light and a skylight + alot of pointlights around the place, most of the time I loose all my shadows and when baked it goes really dark and just dont look good. Already fiddled with Bounce lights , Indirect light scale.

Anyway todo:
    stronger lighting (focal point)
    Get house roof back their beams
    Fix water
    Fix color on trees and value
    Heightfog and perhaps fog planes
    New skytexture

Thanks again, really helpful !
  • MattFall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Guys ! Sorry for the slow update on this.

I kinda got stuck on how to improve my environment in its current
    state, even with the feedback, so I just deleted my entire map and started over :P

I also buildt a few new models for it so Im going to leave these here and
    post images from the semi finished envrionment in my next post.

Banners.png

books.png

pillows.png
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    You're not making very efficient models for all things with transparent textures. You can easily cull a low of empty texture space, and even remove some triangles.
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    Wow looks amazing! (pun intended?)

Keep up the amazing work!

The one thing that bothers me right now is the size of the trees are all exactly the same. Get some size differences in there and things will start to look really natural.

Also if it's a semi night scene I'd expect maybe some more sunset-ish colors... just a thought. Can't wait to see more of this!
  • MattFall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys.
    edit: Snader, I guess you mean my banners, where I could have modelled around the golden border to save some polys.

Thanks artquest, yea I changed the entire environment now, the trees have different size now and placed in layers so it looks better. taking some pics, hopefully up soon :D
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Pretty nice looking stuff.

These are the few small things I noticed:

1-the knot in the middle of the barrel is weird. too big, too centered. It just really draws the attention.

2-The ropes need to be one smooth group. Right now they have really sharp edges and look like cubes. (this is the worst offense imo)

3-on the blue banner at the bottom you can see the gold outline is stretched on the left side. If you turn that one edge it'll clean that up. (all banners could use an edge turn)

all in all not much to nitpick, I had to get pretty picky to come up with those crits.
  • shinobix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shinobix polycounter lvl 16
    my only crit are the banners. What you've done doesn't look like natural folds in the fabric. It looks more like texture smearing / shearing. I'd go back and revisit that part.
  • MattFall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So for some environment images :)

So far I've redone the entire map with a nice composition and layout. a good amount of new models.
    Fixed lighting to the best of my knowledge. also added specular maps (coloured) to most of my materials.

thanks for all the feedback, I noted them down, so I can be lookout for these kinds of stuff in the future, but i barrely finished this scene, so I most likely wont go back just for tiny updates. And they where my first cloth folds ever :P

I also barrely couldnt handpaint when I started this so learned alot :D

Sorry if these images are to big for some people when first loading!

moonbrock3.jpg

moonbrock4.jpg

moonbrock6.jpg

moonbrock7.jpg

moonbrock9.jpg

More images on my portfolio and new renders of those houses :)
    currently making a tiny video of it also so if people want ill put the link up here as well.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    looks a lot better as a scene, not buried in trees.

I'll just mention on the banners too. With the amount of polys used you really could just model the shape, even add a few tris to round the bottoms out nicely, and it would probably have better performance than including the alpha.

You'd really only need alpha for jagged edges, holes, etc...
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    You should replace the terrain rock spikes by actual static meshes with more definition/shape I think. Nice central piece.
  • tesher07
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That looks brilliant! A quick suggestion would be a campfire or something to add more lighting to the scene.
  • Tokoya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tokoya polycounter lvl 7
    Awesome update! Really nice amount of detail props, any chance of getting a glimpse of those texture sheets?
  • MattFall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys
    @Tokoya - Ill try put something together, bit embarassed to show them as I know my handpainting skills are still very limited :p
    @tehser07 - Yea Lighting is far from my strongest points, currently learning it.
    @ParoXum - Actually wow terrain got these small spikes some places and its generally buildt in the same way so that's why I decided to keep it like that :D
    @Baddcog - Thanks for that, does make sense :) I checked out some of the models from wow and they made their banners like this, so that's why I went with that approach, noted for the future!
    I updated first post with the super small preview video, nothing fancy and I was suppose to animate my bare trees and have floating books etc with Matinee but ugh :P
    link here: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqrLRk8g8js"]UDK WoW Inspired Environment - Moonbrock - 1080p - YouTube[/ame]
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    !!

that is freaking amazing haha
  • Sayanora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sayanora polycounter lvl 11
    ParoXum wrote: »
    You should replace the terrain rock spikes by actual static meshes with more definition/shape I think. Nice central piece.

I was about to mention this before I saw your post. Good call! Another thing I'd do is extrude some of those roof tiles out to add some depth. This will help quite a bit since the player will likely view them from below. Blizzard does this quite a bit in Diablo 3 too. Check out the rooftops in old Tristram for reference.

This wiki article goes into greater depth about what I'm talking about

http://wiki.polycount.com/ModularMountAndBlade?action=AttachFile&do=view&target=Modular_MountBladeMod_02.jpg

Really nice scene btw :)
  • Darkmaster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darkmaster polycounter lvl 11
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    So much good stuff, Great job!
  • Seirei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @MattFall great scene! It realy gives me that World of Warcraft feeling. And I kinda like this low poly edgy terrain somehow, maybe because it reminds me even more to the actual game, wich always had a blocky terrain. :D

and @Sayanora I love this tutorial! Such an awesome trick. Instantly favorited.
  • MattFall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ah more replies, Thanks guys :)

Thanks for that tutorial Sayanora, I was thinking about doing it similar to that and also add shingles/tiles at the end of my roofs sticking out, but i ended up keeping it low poly :P bookmarked anyway!

Thanks Seirei, yea I did go with a higher poly terrain at first with some soft hills, but it didn't look right at all, so ala spiky hills :P

and I've always wanted a mind=blown comment !
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Great job, especially on texture reuse and UV layout - from now on I'll just point people to this thread when I need to show proper techniques.