Home Technical Talk

Way early stages of a project, planning out UDK scale metrics

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19
Figured a couple of you guys might be able to toss some pennies on the table here.

I'm currently planning out some technical back-end shit for an environment project that'll use UDK (surprising, I know). The set up will be for a street level environment, urban, third or first person.

Going off this thread here, I've come up with the image below. The two buildings are just sample ideas for 'types' of buildings.

Working within a given metric will never yield perfect world results, some scaling is bound to be off but I wanted to run this past you guys and see what you all thought.

Since I am using UDK, however, I am assuming player height is locked at 90u if I want to simply drop in and run around so I am working off that.

So... thoughts? Look about right?

I'll be updating the image below as I go along.

ls_planning.jpg

Replies

• m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    I think player height is actually 96uu, and I remember reading somewhere that the First Person Camera is at that height also so there will need to be some exaggeration for First Person, and probably quite a bit more for Third Person.

It would probably be better to do a mockup and see how it feels.
  • Butthair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Butthair polycounter lvl 11
    The standard US door is at a height of 6'8" to 7', where the average human is around 5'8" to 6'. Also, doorways within games are usually a bit bigger than this. Imagine trying to run through a door way while getting shot at, it may be a bit difficult (especially for one of those super-human types).

Many aspects of architecture are tweaked for the purpose of flow and camera angle. You say third/first person, just make sure you know how far the camera will be in third person (and I assume it's the standard cam for first person). Hallways, doorways, rooms/ceilings, spacing of pillars, are a few that I can think of where scale would be essential.

Taking for instance GTA 4, their doors and halls are a lot bigger and wide to make up for the slightly goofy movement of the player (primarily when turning). On the other hand, Half-Life 2 doors and halls were a bit more realistic, narrow and more confined, making close combat a bit dangerous.

As a preference, I'll tend to work in units of 16 in max (setting up the grid thusly). But anyways, there's some pennies.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    This is an early test I did months ago when I first had this project idea. If you look at the left image, my player is massively tall (Assuming I am standing in that pic, I can't remember).

Anyway, I lost the files because I am a smart, smart person.

shorpy_wip_early_01.jpg
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    96units tall, not 90. Hmm.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For me Source has it right...
    72 unit characters (6ft, 1.8m)
    128 unit wall tiles (10ft, 3.25m)
    96 unit tall door ways (8ft, 2.5m)

If you use 4pixels for every game unit you cover the 128 unit tile, that works out to be a 512px map. But in unreal you have to beef everything up because they beefed up the default camera height to 96 units.

UDK_SourceScale.jpg

I think when they originally had unreal characters they where roughly 6ft tall, but over time they grew to give you a sense that you where bigger and bulkier like a space marine, compared to puny human height (if the rest of the world was to scale). That makes things a little harder if you want to be real world relative to a hulking camera... so you end up kind of adjusting everything up 24 units?

That's just my observations based on my latest project that required me to be a bit more precise. I haven't done too many closed indoor environment in UDK before so take this all with a grain of salt. If it make sense and works for you, great roll with it. If not, forget it =)
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I think what I'll do is a suggestion from Snefer..

1uu = 1cm, then just run a pixel density of 256px per meter.
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Just in case you didn't know this, in UDK you can use the changesize command in the console to change the height of the point of view, combined with some fov tweaks you can usually change stuff around to your liking.
    I usually stick it as an automatically executed console command in kismet (along with the FOV change), when I realise I'm not satisfied with the scale of a scene and I'm too far in to scale everything.

Obviously I guess it's better to work at the right scale, but for a personal project it's probably not so important if you're staying in first person view.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's good to know about the height, thanks Bal!
    adam wrote: »
    I think what I'll do is a suggestion from Snefer..

1uu = 1cm, then just run a pixel density of 256px per meter.
    If it works, it works.
    2.56px per 1cm seems kind of low and hard to calculate, its not going to land you on a power of 2 as often as using 2px per 1cm OR 4px per 1cm

128uu x 2.56tx = 327.68px (256 or 512?)
    128uu x 4tx = 512px (512 it is)

It seems like going a bit bigger(4:1) and scaling down if necessary is better than trying to up res smaller texture sheets(2.56:1)?
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Hmm, interesting. I don't think I would be working in powers of 2 metric for this, though. I'd have to overlook that and adapt a metric-system metric.

1m, 2m, 3m instead of 64, 128, etc.

So 100cm/100uu = 256px

Keep this discussion going, as I still haven't decided where I'll land. I need to get back to my PSD file to write all this down.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I'll likely go with 4px per 1uu and work at double the resolution.

In-game: 128uu = 512px
    Authored: 128uu = 1024px
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's too simple... =P

1uu = 1cm
    4px : 1cm/uu (authored at 8px)

Switching to metric makes a lot of sense. I'm rolling with this unless someone comes up with something better. I have some re-engineering of my scene to work out... damn you lunch break for being over! I really want to mess around with this now =P
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The source scale system does look a lot better, I'll have change the udk height from now now.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19

UDK_SourceScale.jpg

For the Source side: When I see the height of the player next to the wall, then think that wall is going to have a 512x512 on it, all I can think of is how blurry it'll be (source does have a fairly low res compared to the standard today).

So, I'm not sure 4px = 1uu = 1cm is the right way to go, but rather 8px = 1uu = 1cm.

128uu/cm @ 1024px...
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nfrrtycmplx polycounter lvl 18
    How to use metric with the grid? I'm having a hell of a time with that myself.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Adam, I think you're right 8:1 is probably more in keeping with games today and especially the next round of hardware which artists should prepare for now.

With 8:1 you just need to be mindful of the dreaded down resing (at least in production). Don't draw 1px lines or use tiny fonts on a larger sheet that might be cut down latter bla bla bla... crap you already know and probably told me at some point hahaha.

@ nfrrtycmplx
    "Keep to the grid."
    I think you need to make sure your grid in max/maya/whatever matches the UDK grid.

So your grid works in MULTIPLES of whatever the UDK grid is set to.
    For example your grid will have lines every 8cm or 16cm to match UDK.

Which is different than POWERS of 2 where the higher you go the larger the leaps (256, 512, 1024, 2048, 4096 ...) instead of working in incremental distances (8, 16, 24, 32, 40 48, 56, 64 ...)

Luckily they have "1" on the grid so you can snap to odd numbers but on a very small scale so its also easy to fudge up unless you're zoomed in all the time. It seems like 8-16cm/uu are a good default grid spacing for both grids, what matters is that they match.

To set your grid in max:
    Right click one of the snaps buttons and modify the "home grid" to be 8, 16, 32 whatever works best in UDK for your project.

TL:DR
    Metric makes sense, 1uu = 1cm = 4-8px per 1uu
    Sync your grid to UDK, 8 or 16
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't forget about custom grid helper objects, they can be positioned and aligned like any other object. This helps when working vertically in perspective view. It's a pain in the ass to always switch from pers to front or left view just to use the vertical grid.

Grid objects can be found on the Create Panel > Helpers Tab, or Main Menu > Create > Helpers > Grid.
    3dsmaxGridObject.jpg
    The only down side is one grid object can be active at one time, select grid object right click > activate grid/activate home grid > or bind it to a key.

I went into home grids and snaps in a bit more detail here:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1098044#post1098044
    They've made working with snaps A LOT easier and more precise since I wrote that up, 2010 and lower you're stuck with the old snap system I complained about, which can be frustrating to use when you need precision.