Home General Discussion

Maya Tendacy to Crash throughout the Years

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
dproeder polycounter lvl 5
Hey everyone. I've used Maya since 2005 or so. I started with 5.0 and have used 6.0, 7.0, 8.5, 2008, 2009, 2012. All 64bit. The ONLY version that didn't crash constantly was 2008. Ive used it primarily for that reason, and now I am behind on the tech. I just started using 2012 student edition....its so buggy. My UV Editor window won't open, The Work Area View Port is laggy (ex. I'll move a vert, and I have to rotate the camera slightly to see the result), and crashes multiple times per day.

Does anyone have any similar experiences?

Replies

• Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Same system along the way? Never had that experience with Maya TBH... with Max though... ;)
  • dproeder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sometimes the same system, Sometimes not. Ive had 2 desktop throughout these years.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Do you actually use any of the new features? If not, why not use 2008?
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Ah, one thing about 2012 is, it opens maximized, but isn't really maximized. Mine gets very laggy when it is like that. So I scale the window down, and maximize it properly. That gets rid of all of my lagging.
    But, for me, 2009 was the least buggy.
  • MadnessImport
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    With 2011 there was a bug or error at every turn and i could reproduce them if needed too!

2012 i have no problems it rarely...Crashes and some windows are still slow loading up
    Im using a 2-3 year old Dual core Vaio
  • pinkbox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    have you installed the lastest updated or service pack for maya2012? that might fix some bugs
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Joopson wrote: »
    Ah, one thing about 2012 is, it opens maximized, but isn't really maximized. Mine gets very laggy when it is like that. So I scale the window down, and maximize it properly. That gets rid of all of my lagging.
    But, for me, 2009 was the least buggy.

I hate that. Blender does it too. Drives me nuts. Whats wrong with a program opening properly maximised!!
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Yeah, Andreas, no idea. I've tried, well, every darn thing I can think of. Looked everywhere online, too, and, nothing. So, whatever. I've just given into helpless submission at this point. Hopefully by 2013 (due any moment now, probably), they'll have this error fixed.
  • pinkbox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    they'll prob anounce 2013 soon but release more like april/may :S

2012 has been the most stable for me of the recent releases. 2010 and 2011 being worse.

also post up your pc specs. i know they've changed the interface since 2010 so maybe thats causing a slowdown for you
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    My UV texture editor takes upwards of 5 seconds to select anything on a clean, freshly imported model. Problem existed in 2011 and still exists in 2012.

If 2008 is the "stable one", maybe I'll try to dig up a demo and see if that wants to work for me.
  • fmnoor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fmnoor polycounter lvl 17
    Have only had issues with 8.5 way back in the day. I dinked out really heavily at work with the Maya 2012 trial and it was rock solid - especially the viewport and UI.

Most issues I've had with Maya though, usually resolved with rolling back a video card driver update
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    At work we are using 2011, crashes all the fing time. Happens to everyone at work.

Generally see it when you try to undo an operation, that is the biggest one. Like undo an edge loop, merge, boolean, extrude, bridge. You know, basic modeling tasks >:/
  • Rai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15
    2012, loves to crash on basic face cuts.. I just want to go back to 2008, but the pipeline is 2011/2012. =/
  • dproeder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai wrote: »
    2012, loves to crash on basic face cuts.. I just want to go back to 2008, but the pipeline is 2011/2012. =/

Yeah face cuts and the interactive poly split tool. Its a shame. Can't stay in 2008, because the world moves forward. Its like if someone still used CS3.
  • Rai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15
    At least I know Silo 2 loves me for modeling..
  • MadnessImport
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The regular split tool is waaay better than the new interactive one just turn up the snapping tolerance on the old one to mimic the new one. The old tool will freeze on you at random
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 14
    I agree with madnessimport. I've hardly used the new split tool, it just feels weird and not like the old one. I don't suffer from any crashes anymore though, even the split edge ring tool could cause maya to crash back in the day for me but not anymore. Same thing with boolean, although I don't use it that often so take my word with a grain of salt on this one. I didn't know that the old split polygon tool was removed from the menus until a friend told me that he had problems finding it, I've kept my tool shortcuts over the years and the tool is still reachable through shortcuts.
    Keep in mind that extra plugins/scripts/whatever could make the 3d program in question pretty unstable as well. We had some annoying problems with 3ds max at the last game studio I worked at mainly because of extra in-house tools.
    If you're suffering from a laggy viewport you should take a look at this thread, it might help;
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92072
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    What worked for me when using the new split tool is to commit to c an v snapping. Even if not needed I hover over the snap hotkeys. ( helps reiforce muscle memory )

when u get use to snapping the end on a vertice or edge. And when u get use to hitting enter to complete ( having the line still attached to the cursor threw me off at first ). Then I can not imagine going back to the old split.
  • dproeder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough wrote: »
    What worked for me when using the new split tool is to commit to c an v snapping. Even if not needed I hover over the snap hotkeys. ( helps reiforce muscle memory )

when u get use to snapping the end on a vertice or edge. And when u get use to hitting enter to complete ( having the line still attached to the cursor threw me off at first ). Then I can not imagine going back to the old split.

For some reason I haven't tried the snap hotkeys while splitting. Does X (snap to grid work too)? This could allow you to keep "contrain to edges" unchecked always.
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    dproeder wrote: »
    For some reason I haven't tried the snap hotkeys while splitting. Does X (snap to grid work too)? This could allow you to keep "contrain to edges" unchecked always.

No, x grid snap does not work for me with the new split tool? I suppose the grid as a snapping template might be useful for working to scale.

I think the best solution for a predictable split tool behavior is to just crank up the magnet:

Edge Snapping> snap magnets to 10.

I do not know why the Edge Snapping magnets preference has a default setting of 1? Because the magnet does not effect cursor position until you actually click...
    Its not as if the a high magnet setting restricts placement. ( just makes the tool behave predictable without requiring you to use a snapping hot key! )

Can't seem to find another tool that might be hurt with a high snap magnet setting either?

On the other hand, if you can not change the setting ( someone else's machine without yer own preferences? )
    And are stuck working with the default snap magnet preference...

Make sure yer cursor is as close as possible to an edge or vertex component and the snapping behavior will never fail to behave predictably. ( even if it slows u down :poly141: )

Try and confirm this whenever the split tool seems to be behaving unpredictable...
    by undo-ing the last failed point with the delete key and making sure that the cursor is reasonably close to an edge or vertex before using the c or v snap hotkey.

Within the tools steps... the resulting vertices are colored ( Green if successfully snapped on a vertex. Red if successfully snapped on an edge. Blue if the vertex is placed on a face ) Learning to expect the correct color will quickly make it easy to catch/correct a failed snap. Which in turn will help you to quickly condition yourself to place your snaps close to an edge/vert. Which in turn has led to stable a stable/effective split tool! ( for myself at least ).

The c or v work interchangeably! As does which component you click close to to assure snapping. ( in other words, It does not matter if you click the cursor down on an edge or a vert. Either will still allow you to successfully complete the snap on any edge or vert connected to that components neighbors )
  • eazy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eazy polycounter lvl 9
    ha, i was reading through and it made me feel more normal in that so many ppl share my love/hate experiences with maya. 2011 has been really great to me, but a month or so ago my uv texture editor started doing this:
    Capture.PNG

changing window sizes doesn't change anything :( can anyone help me find out how to get the rest of my buttons back?

oh, and the only time i get consistent crashes is if i use the bevel tool, so i've gotten into the habit of saving before i ever use it.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    think i had 1 crash in 3 months of using 2012, my main issue, is sometimes in the texture editor it wont let me overlap uv shells.

if to shells get too close together it will snap the one of moving back to it;s original position.

never found out why this happens, but if i just do a simple scale on the UV and undo it, i can overlap uv;s fine