Home General Discussion

Emptying your mind

admin
Offline / Send Message
System admin
Hey guys,

Curious to hear thoughts on this one.

Does anyone else find that, when working on a project (any project, could be art, music, design, whatever) that you think about it constantly, even when you aren't actually 'doing it'.

I've recently noticed that my mind starts up at 100mph as soon as I start formulating a project idea; immediately I'm thinking 'How am I going to texture this' 'How could I model that bit'... non-stop, feels like my head is gonna explode sometimes.

The interesting thing is, that those thoughts are often semi-useless when you're not actually at the computer or in front of your project, because in my case, I tend to think things through or say 'ok I'll do it like this', and then in practice it goes an entirely different way. Everything usually gets figured out, or I'll scrap an idea and come up with a better way.

I'd actually love to be able to just 'switch-off' or 'empty my mind' when I'm not actually working, but it's not easy.

Anyone else get this?

Replies

• Noodle!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noodle! polycounter lvl 8
    I'm 100% like that. And it's most prevalent when I'm nearing a state of relaxation, say when going to sleep or relaxing in a bath as the brain frees up computing power.

But they're most definitely not useless, you're processing information and sorting ideas and they'll stick with you even if it's subconciously. It's just your brains way of taking care of all this new stuff.
  • dempolys
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dumbledore_pensieve.jpg
    problem solved.
  • PatrickL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatrickL polycounter lvl 9
    Meditation is essentially that. You shut off your brain, and just relax for awhile. Devoting 10-30 minutes every morning to a little meditation will do you a world of good.

I sort of wrote it off as hippy-commie-bullshit till last year, when I sort of fell into it by accident. It's good stuff. Helps with stress outside of work, and helps you focus during work.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Thanks guys,

Yeah I'm keen to find out a bit more about meditation. I know it's probably beneficial to a degree that these thoughts exist and as you say Noodle, they're most prevalent during relaxing times, but they do help. Sometimes a few thoughts appear that might be 'lightbulb moments' every so often.

I've just got to the point a few times recently where I've physically gotten a headache from my mind racing non-stop and it's kinda made me want to look into methods of relaxing properly or meditating. And before anyone comes in and says alcohol or weed... I don't drink or do drugs (not that I have a problem with those who do, but it's just a personal choice).
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    Try meditation, it's great. I'd always thought of it as some wishy washy 'fad' that only monks and hipsters do but after trying it i really like it. 10 minutes a day and while it isn't really a life changing difference you do notice being able to switch off easier, concentrate better and get a better nights sleep.

"get some headspace" is the book i read about it and i would recommend it.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Noodle! wrote: »
    I'm 100% like that. And it's most prevalent when I'm nearing a state of relaxation, say when going to sleep or relaxing in a bath as the brain frees up computing power.

This happens to me all the time, although if I've had a bad day it will usually be my brain going into overdrive listing all the things I haven't done that day and all the projects I'm behind on :poly122:
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    This happens to me. It's awesome, it's one of the biggest ways I digest the huge, overarching concepts that I need to understand as an artist, like perspective and color theory and anatomy. A billion little revelations leads to quite an increase in understanding.
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    Sports work for me, mind clear while doing and too relaxed to bother after.
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    A way to make it easier to forget about them is to carry a small notebook with you most of the time and take notes(or make drawings) when such ideas come to your mind.

It should be even easier to focus on something else like sports, meditation etc. it also gives you the chance to collect your ideas out of which some good ones can come.
  • Razgriz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razgriz keyframe
    If I'm working in a crunch to get something done, like 3-4 twelve hour days in a row, this starts to happen to me. I realized the other day, hanging out smoking cigars with one of my friends, that I was subconsciously trying to topologize everything on his patio. "This polygon goes here, I can optimize by welding there, etc". I also have dreamed about modeling, and solving mesh issues. When it starts happening, I view it as a sign that I've been working too much too long, and I need to take a few hours to chill out.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    it means you're uneasy, that is all. Try thinking about nothing, I know it sounds supremely deutchy but stop and just listen to what you're "thinking" about. Usually it's just chatter and through the act of sheer listening it'll fade away.

this happens to me all the time, but if you stop real quick and listen and listen to the thoughts like passing cars, they become what they really are passing Uneasy thoughts, if you keep thinking about them then it becomes, you thinking about thoughts.

"if you spend your whole day thinking, you'll have nothing but thoughts to think about" -Alan Watts.

hope that helps man.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Bloody hell thanks Alberto, I think you're actually spot on!

I completely agree that some thinking is beneficial, and as I said, some of the best ideas and 'breakthroughs' pop up when you're away from your desk and thinking, but it'd got to the point with me where I'd be just thinking about it non-stop and it felt kinda unhealthy.

So I'm gonna take a load of this advice and definitely take some time out, it's been a while since I've felt truly relaxed and I know for sure it'll be a refreshing feeling!

Nice tip on the notebook too, Emar.

Thanks!
  • Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    I've been attending yoga classes for the past 3 years as a way to help with this. the combination of stretching, exercise, and focus on breathing really helps me to let go of everything that my brain keeps jabbering on about. I can't imagine a time in my life where I am more relaxed and more 'empty-minded' than just lying there at the end of the session with eyes closed and deep breathing lungs. You've got to take care of yourself, physically and mentally.

Also, a magic hat bottle cap told me last night "the universe ends where that thought originated"
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    I usually close my eyes, and force not to think about anything for 10-15 seconds. Just be awake and watch the blank screen (whatever you call it when you close your eyes and dont see anything, and dont think about anything.)

It works out for me.
  • nick2730
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    TeeJay wrote: »

Does anyone else find that, when working on a project (any project, could be art, music, design, whatever) that you think about it constantly, even when you aren't actually 'doing it'.

Oh absolutely. Find myself modelling around a problem, or noting a detail I want to capture, in my head even when I'm not sitting, working on a piece. Drives me nuts. Don't have a solution I'm afraid. Wish I knew how to switch off, hopefully something in this thread helps.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Andreas wrote: »
    Oh absolutely. Find myself modelling around a problem, or noting a detail I want to capture, in my head even when I'm not sitting, working on a piece. Drives me nuts. Don't have a solution I'm afraid. Wish I knew how to switch off, hopefully something in this thread helps.

We just told him the solution...
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    TeeJay, I do the same haha. Especially before falling asleep, although I'm not as bad as Razgriz dreaming about it xDxD I personally come up with a lot of my planning during these times, so that when I actually sit down to work, I know what to do.

However, sometimes a refresh is good, I agree! I second the meditation and sports (well I don't do sports, in fact I fail miserably at them, but even 30 minutes of stretches and whatnot to get my blood pumping does it for me!!)
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    Interesting side note for those that enjoy watching tv or movies before bed to unwind. I lost the link, but I read a study a while back that showed watching tv/movies before bed prevents you from getting as much REM sleep as you'd normally get, up to 75% less. Something about the way it stimulates your brain makes it take a lot longer for your alpha waves to do whatever it is they do for REM sleep. Reading is better for unwinding, but I think the best solution is just a meditative state, something like Nitewalkr suggested.

edit: second ravenslayer's yogging suggestion below, any kind of repetitive exercise that lasts 30+ mins is great for cleaning up your mind
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    jogging, especially the longer runs. i get to a point where i don't think about anything and just look around and keep on running.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Nitewalkr wrote: »
    We just told him the solution...

If only twere that simple, and one thing worked for everybody! :poly122:
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    it's been a while since I've felt truly relaxed and I know for sure it'll be a refreshing feeling!

when ever i have extra money i love putting together track bikes, super easy and super rewarding and relaxing hobby. Bikes overall. :) BIKES!