Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[PORTFOLIO] Emma Smith

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
ladyknowles polycounter lvl 7
Hi polycount people!

Here's a link to my portfolio:

http://ladyknowles.carbonmade.com/

I am half way through my second year on my Games Design Degree, and have just updated my portfolio. I'd love some feedback on the work so far...Just some ideas of what I'd like to know..

- What were your first thoughts when you saw the page?
- Are the categories suitable?
- Is the standard of work good for someone at my stage (I'm 19)
- Are there any projects I could set myself which would really improve my portfolio - I.e. I know my stuff is really colourful, should I do some thing totally different style?
- Is the about me ok? Do I have to upload a CV?

Also, I'm not looking for work, just curious. I know it's good to stay on top of these things and have a kickass portfolio when I finish in 2013, rather than laze about like an ass.

Replies

• jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    My first thought seeing the page was... :/ hmmm Carbonmade. I have been seeing Carbonmade more and more. And the porfolios sort of start looking like carbon copies of each other. I specifically can think of 2 other 3d artists who have the exact same theme as yours. I don't know the limitations of carbonmade... but, I would try to make it look a bit more original if you can.

Catagories are fine... Might change the "Various Projects" to "Assets" instead. Projects sound large to me. And they were all pretty singular. For some reason I thought of Various Projects as the reject pile. Only reason I clicked on it was because it had the most interesting thumbnail. :P

Age has nothing to do with it. There are 12 year olds in 3rd world countries that are kicking both our asses. :P The correct question is, Can my work get me a job? Or... How does my work hold up against the professionals who have a job.

Um... I don't know if it matters that your stuff is colorful. Just do what you like to do. Do it bad ass and get hired for it.

Your about me... doesn't need your age. No one cares (sorry if that sounded bad.) If anything, it is hurting you. If someone is looking at you for freelance they could potentially look down on your age. Or try to take advantage of you when it comes to what they pay you because you are young. Talk professionally, don't let on that you are a student, don't let on that you are young, and you are always always super busy with other projects. ;)

Now aside from what you asked... I think you could get some more complex pieces. All of your stuff is small and fairly simple. Bigger projects are more impressive and will land you a job better than a million tiny props and some modular walls.

The quality of what you are doing, though simple, is still really good. So just just keep practicing. ;)

Edit: forgot to say that I would take out your portal drawing, the monsters inc, and the character design piece. They are your weakest pieces in your 2d. If you were to just have the others in there, I would have pinned you as a pretty solid 2d artist. ;) Not that you aren't... but everyone has good and bad art. You only want to show your best.
  • ladyknowles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow jeremiah_bigley, you guys never fail to amaze me with your long posts :D I love this forum so much..

I agree with everything you've said, especially about the big project. Haven't really had a chance to do anything bigger yet, since in September, I had only made a box in Maya xD I'm really buzzing to start something big...Might have a chance because we're making a fully playable level in UDK when I get back to uni, doing the art for it in one module and the design in another.

I thought you'd say that about the age. I'm more just curious, because I'm the youngest in my class by far. It makes sense what you said, I'll change my about me now.

Could I be cheeky and ask you to look on my deviantart, see if I should put any of my other 2d stuff on there in place of the ones I should remove? Here's the link:

http://teenagephoenix.deviantart.com/

Apologise for the cheesy name.
    Thanks for saying the quality of my stuff is good. Since coming to polycount, my confidence has increased a bunch :)
    And thanks for the comment about the 2d artist, before coming to uni I didn't even know how stuff was made in 3D for games, so it's been a big turnaround!
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    My first thought seeing the page was... :/ hmmm Carbonmade. I have been seeing Carbonmade more and more. And the porfolios sort of start looking like carbon copies of each other. I specifically can think of 2 other 3d artists who have the exact same theme as yours. I don't know the limitations of carbonmade... but, I would try to make it look a bit more original if you can.

For the free ones it's a little limited but you basically have up to 5 projects and then x amount of images you can have to spread between them (which is a fairly decent amount), then you get 2 themes (black or white) and you can sort your 5 projects in 3 ways (2 of which look like you kinda need more projects to pull off (it's a shame there isn't a vertical one for characters)). Lastly in the projects you can choose to have a scroll down list of the pictures or 2 more complicated routes. If you want bigger picturesand more stuff you need to pay $12/month which is quite a step up from free.

I'm a little worried about your first thought, a lot of people advise others to just put stuff up on carbonmade or a very simple template just to get the art out there, and they would end up looking very similar. I'm wondering if people are going from thinking "websites should just show the art" to "this website looks like all the others!"
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    I'd guess this is a carbonmade issue, but the navigation is fucking awful. Click the street scene, have a look through your stuff, and because it treats image as a separate page, I've got to go back half a dozen pages just to see the rest of your stuff. A nav bar or each project's images on just one page would be an improvement.

That said, get a domain and your own site, it's not expensive and it makes everything a bit more professional looking
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This one is way better than this one.

Could probably add this one.
    And I am 50 50 on this one.

;)
  • ladyknowles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, I agree with what you's say about carbonmade.

My boyfriend is a web designer, so to be honest I have no reason not to make my own website and get a domain! Do you guys have any 'favourite portfolios' that you think are a good design? I have a few in my bookmarks.

@jeremiah_bigley Thanks for the choices, I'll change them now! I don't really like the floating island so I'll leave that one out.
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just because you are limited doesn't mean you can't be creative and make it unique?

It isn't perfect... but... you get the idea.
    Here is an example of someone elses... http://willhurst.carbonmade.com/

Untitled-4-1.jpg
  • Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    Hey Emma,

I agree with the others that the portfolio site is a bit same-y but remember, if you are going to make your own or at least tweak an existing design, the work is the most important so that should be front an center- show only your best work- if that means having 3 pieces instead of 10 then do it! you are judged on your worst bit of work.

Also as much as segmenting things is a good idea (2D, 3D, environment etc), don't make people go through a long-winded process to see your art, if you can, have it all on the same page with nice thumbnails that dont take you off of that page. you can split them up but keep them on the same page.

I like your work, your 2D stuff had some real gems in it, I particularly liked the third environment study with the purple flowers in the foreground. The portrait of the girl with the blue hair was a real standout to me. Some of it was weaker though, like the gremlin mask.

Of the 3D work, I think you need to work on lighting a bit more. In all of your work there is a consistent feel of everything being separate. In the mediterranian scene, everything feels like a completely separate house plonked down rather than an environment that has aged together as one piece. Also I noticed that the clothes on the washing line were all the same texture with different holes and colour swaps, in such a low poly / low spec scene you can afford to change it up :)

I liked the floor and boxes in the sci-fi scene, the wall was a bit sloppier- try to think about what every bit of it does, is it a vent? is it a button or is it just a bevel put there to look nice. Everything needs purpose and history- from there you can dirty up the textures based on that :)

I am not being mean though, you are good - I am just trying to give honest and strong feedback :)

Keep it up and keep posting - and good luck with the degree!

Chimp
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    Considering how many times we iterate that simple clean layouts are the way to go I am surprised that people are suggesting to "jazz" it up..

There is nothing wrong with the carbon made layout. It's functional and it works. You can click "work" link to always go back to the main gallery.

That said, I am concerned that your personal pieces lack some creativity and unique ideas. The sci-fi diorama is a missed opportunity I think considering how rich the subject matter is and the Mediterranean scene either looks unfinished or rather barren.

Artist are getting really really good these days, even those out of school. You need to fight hard to stand out with killer pieces.

Good luck!
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you missed the point of why we were saying to "jazz" it up. There is nothing wrong with having a clean and simple layout. And there is nothing wrong with the carbonmade layout. There is also nothing wrong with Photoshop filters for that matter.

But when I million people can use it at the click of a button and get the same simple clean results... then why not stand out a tad more?

http://carbonmade.com/portfolios/3d-modeling
    Let me know what page you make it to before you get bored...

I am sure plenty of those artists have killer pieces but nobody wants to sift through 800 portfolios with 4 different variations.

Another example are the templates on blogger...
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    Maybe if we were talking about an exemplary and complete portfolio, then we could nitpick the layout and presentation creativity. If your work is strong, your work is strong. That will make you stand out much more than any spiced up layout.

I think the critique should focus on the quality of the art pieces because her layout does more than an adequate job at displaying her work. Her priority should be looking at how to improve the actual pieces on her website. That will help her much more in the long run.
  • ladyknowles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Chimp Thank you so much for the reply...I agree indeed! My 3D work hasn't had time to mature yet at all and I haven't pushed myself to my best yet. My lack of planning and organisation skills contribute to this, I have a tendency to rush into things without thinking, and hence the finished product is sub par.

Thanks for saying you like my 2D :D Didn't think it would have had such a positive response to be honest!

@Fuse I totally agree. The street is indeed barren and I can see in my head how it could look much better. Also agree with the wall in the sci fi scene, I think I was getting a bit too confident when I got round to doing the wall!

@jeremiah_bigley MY MY! You have succeeded in making me gawp at my screen again. So much so that I was sitting glued to my laptop while on the train home from London! And look, I did everything!
    Using photoshop on a moving train isn't the easiest.
    :
    34pxi80.jpg
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    This might seem odd, but I went to your site and it said "Go Away!" so I left. Subliminal anti-marketing at work.
  • ladyknowles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chris Holden went on my site. No need to live anymore, fan girl wish has been granted.
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome! Your stie feels tons better. :) More uniuqe less carbonmade. I like taking the time to help you because you are willing to listen and appreciative of the feedback that everyone gives.

Couple of things I am going to nitpick over... Try to keep your spacing between all the thumbnails the same. Some have 3 or 4 pixels and others have 10. And on the black title bars hanging over... try to make them all hang past the same amount after the end of each title. Particularly the one one Assets, Scifi Diorama, and Traditional are a bit long. And the one on Mediterranean Street doesn't have any overhang.

I had an instructor who pushed our presentations like no other. He would say... "2 students who have the exact same model could present them differently and the one with the better presentation gets the job." You have a pretty solid foundation for your website. Now it is just time to focus on your work. ;) Which btw... when are you starting your big project (maybe something with a highpoly cast onto a low)? :P
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Leaving in a minute so I'll just say this:
    textures are okay/good, models are very plain and simple. lots of boxes, no complex shapes.
  • ladyknowles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks so much Jeremiah, I'd still be a total noob (Not just a normal noob) without your help. I'll fix the gaps between the sections soon. Was a bit hard on the train, wasn't a very stable journey! I totally agree with your lecturer, I can't even begin to imagine how monotonous it much get looking at 100+ portfolios.

@Snader Unfortunately I agree. I'm a bit intimdated by modelling, maya's such a bitch.

Anyway, yes for my next project I'm going to stop erring on the safe side as always and try and go WHOLE HOG. I am trying to decide between these:

17.jpg

The vehicle on the left

boiler_room_by_ewkn-d3ca44l.jpg

Boiler room by the fabulous eWKn

Well+of+Souls+-+Hall+of+the+Beast+2.png

2000x722_314_Viriums_Extinction_2d_landscape_environment_concept_art_picture_image_digital_art.jpg
  • S2Engine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S2Engine polycounter lvl 10
    My vote goes to the vehicle, or some similarly focused but complex asset to model, so that when you go to your next environment you'll be well prepared to inject that level of polish into everything.
  • ladyknowles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah that was my thoughts exactly :) Thanks S2Engine!
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Something with different materials, I think, would be great. I know it would for me ;) So the motor hoover thingy, yeah!

I think it looks like you're on the right track with you stuff! It's great that you've gotten active here on the board to! Try to put up clear goals with every project and to let it get to big. Don't take shortcuts :)
  • Ikosan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I use carbonmade and like it tbh:S (http://ikosan.carbonmade.com/) You are very limited with what you can do with it, i pay the $12 cause i wanted video streaming from it for turn arounds. I've run websites through wordpress and my own domains and carbon made was just a relief, its all drag and drop and very artist friendly, plus I like the default theme (which admitedly is the only theme). Are employers really going to 'mark you down' for having a website layout which looks similar to someone elses? I'd say concentrate on your artwork and navigation before anything else
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ikosan wrote: »
    I'd say concentrate on your artwork and navigation before anything else

I think the quality work is just expected though. I crit her site because this was her weak point in her art. As said on another thread... the site is an extension of your art and portfolio. I, personally am just a a strong believer in presentation making or breaking your art. And if you are truely badass at what you do the it is a possibility that your website could not matter. But if you are not flat-out better than people here on polycount... having a nice clean sexy portfolio can go a long way and say a lot about the artist.

And I wasn't telling her to get off carbonmade... just to try and make it a bit more original. As of now... I don't really have a problem with the way she is presenting her work. It has come very far since the first iteration.
    S2Engine wrote: »
    My vote goes to the vehicle, or some similarly focused but complex asset to model, so that when you go to your next environment you'll be well prepared to inject that level of polish into everything.

+1

I would also go for the bike. ;) Sweet choices. Nothing like some original choice concepts to keep a modeling portfolio interesting.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    ladyknowles, why not just do em all? in order :)
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message