Home Technical Talk

[3DS Max] Allocating Bitmap Memory Failed (when trying to render UV templates)

EZ eveyone, its my 1st post here! Anyway I've just finished modelling and unwrapping a syringe I've been working on. Its fairly hi-poly, so I wanted to make the UV map fairly high res too. I want to export the template as a 4096 image, but every time I click "Render UV template", I get the error message thats shown in the thread title. It doesn't pop us as an error dialog though, it only appears in the little "message box" at the bottom of the screen (near the max-script field).

It cant have anything to do with RAM memory, since 4Gb should EASILY be enough to render a 2D image consisting of nothing but white/green lines on a black background. I dont think it could have anything to do with HDD memory in the temp folder either, since I have over 3Gb free space, and I cant see how this simple task would require so much data to be written to the temp folder. Its just a simple UV map lol, not even a texture with more than 5 colours...

Anybody know why I'm not able to render this at the resolution I need?

Thanks in advance

Edit: I've been getting this problem a lot more lately. Now its even happening when I try to render a UV map HALF the size of the said UV map. How long before it tells me I'm not even allowed to render a tiny 1024 map!!??

Please help!! I cant do anymore texturing until this is fixed!!

Replies

• Butthair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Butthair polycounter lvl 11
    Is this UVW being applied to the hi poly model?

How many polies is there? Are their any modifiers also applied to the model? Does the model have more than one UVW modifier? Is the UVW set to Map Channel 1? Are they merged as one object, or multiple objects?

Could we get some pictures? :)
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nfrrtycmplx polycounter lvl 18
    Butthair has great questions.

When I have error messages I don't understand, I always use the rule "when in doubt, reset xform and collapse stack"

if that doesn't work -

Make a new box primitive and in the sub-object mode of that box click "attach" and attach your suspicious objects to that box... delete the polygons of the box and try again.

This will "clean" the mesh and was a trick told to me by a great max wizard named "Jeff Hannah"... great guy.

Anyway, if that doesn't work...

Can you render any resolution? If you can render a 1024 but not a 4096 then it most certainly could be a memory issue... not that the map is too big, but maybe your ram is busted?

Also, if you're running windows 7, 2 gig of your ram is used for that... (my understanding of windows memory usage is minimal, but if you look at the min spec for running windows 7, it says "2 gig of ram"... so... )

Can you render a 4096 of any other object? like if you create a new object and just try to render the UVW template, does that work?

And again, Butthair's questions are great questions and will help us to resolve your issue.

Good luck!
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    There used to be a stupid RTT resolution limit on older max versions, coud it be this ?
    http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=5581766&linkID=9241177
    Ah yeah, also i think i had this once because i was displaying a shitload of high res maps in my scene and pushed the system too far. If you're displaying several maps, try to clean your materials/cut the texture resolution in the driver configuration ?
  • Shuriken UK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK guys, heres all the details you asked for:-

-I'm using Max 2011

-The model is fairly low poly. It only has 586 polygons.

-The only modifiers (apart from editpoly) are two "Unwrap UVW's". One for the texture map, and one for the lightmap.

-The model was all one object from the beginning. I started off with a tube object, then worked around that to get a hollowed out syringe. It was one of the most fiddly things I've ever tried to model (especially unwrapping it because of how dense & close together some of the faces are, EG the pump, that was a nightmare!). I probably did things the ULTRA long way round lol.

-I dont have any other materials or maps in the scene. Its just the syringe all on its own!

-Yep, strangely enough, I CAN render it at 1024 (but thats way too small for the detail I'm after). I think my RAM's okay though, I can still play modern games with ease, like Skyrim, Deus Ex 3, Crysis 1, UDK etc.

-I tried applying a Reset Xform to the model, but it didn't work. However, I've just found out what Xform is all about and I might be able use that to fix the limbs of my legoman that stretch like crazy I rotate them! I'll try that out later!

-I just tried that trick was suggested, where you create another object, attach it to the messed up object, then delete it. I dont think Max was happy about that though. It froze completely and just died on me. It does that every time I try it (after ending the 3dsmax process and loading it up again). Damn man, it seems like I might be screwed here...

Heres my specs:-

-XP Pro 32 bit with SP3 (32bit lol, I'm old at)
    -3.0 GHz dual core
    -4 GB RAM (but I'm only allowed to use 3GB cos 32bit users ain't cool enough I guess lol)
    -XFX Radeon HD4870 with 1GB VRAM

Heres some pictures too:-

hhh.jpg

iii.jpg

jjj.jpg

kkk.jpg

Sorry, I know the views aren't great, but I had some trouble getting good angles and fitting it into the viewport lol. The red and blue is one "multi-subobject" material, which is made of two TGA images which are nothing more than flat colours. I just tweaked the opacity in max for the tube, theres no alpha maps or any kind of masks going on, just bog-standard solid colours.

The only reason I'm using those two TGA's is because I read somewhere (maybe here) that in order for UDK to recognise a model has more than 1 texture channel, you have to just choose "dummy textures" in max which act as place-holders for UDK or something. It worked with a Katana I made, which was the first time I learn't about multisubobject materials for UDK usage.

Thanks for giving me the time of day! I hope I can get this fixed in the end.
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    You haven't been using Booleans have you? Booleans will seriously put some nasty Voodoo into your model.
    I've just found out what Xform is all about and I might be able use that to fix the limbs of my legoman that stretch like crazy I rotate them! I'll try that out later!

That should definitely fix your lego man...
    -I just tried that trick was suggested, where you create another object, attach it to the messed up object, then delete it. I dont think Max was happy about that though. It froze completely and just died on me. It does that every time I try it (after ending the 3dsmax process and loading it up again). Damn man, it seems like I might be screwed here...
    This says something. If it crashes everytime it is probably your object then.

nfrrtycmplx forgot one thing though. When you reset the xforms and that doesn't work, the manual reset xform (attaching to a new object) doesn't work... there are still some measures to be taken.

3. Export the object as an OBJ then reimport it. Make sure you check Keep UV Coordinates. Maybe even reimport into a new scene.
    4. Merge your scene into a new clean one and try all the options again.
    5. Under the Tools menu... there is a tool call "Snapshot." I don't know if this will keep your UVs but what it does is it creates a new mesh of the same thing. There have been times that nothing has fixed a model and snapshot worked for me.

Couple of other things to check:
    Click the "Remove Isolated Vertices" within editable poly.
    You could also use the "STL Check" Modifier to check your mesh for errors. Make sure there are no spikes :/

This is all assuming it is the model and not your system.
  • Shuriken UK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man, I'll try these suggestions out RIGHT now. I've just turned on the PC and I was gonna play Skyrim, but I feel like getting creative instead now. Also I wanted to try to recreate some scenes in UDK from a strange nightmare I had lastnight LOL.

I had to go and visit some1 at the hospital who had a baby, but then I had to leave for a few minutes and go to the canteen, after I got off the lift on the 2nd floor, the corridor it opened out into had a ceiling which was so low, you could only move around on your stomach, and at the end of the corridor was the canteen, which was full of psychotic mental patients, screaming, and throwing plates at me, and other strange sounds. It was like Jacobs Ladder or Silent Hill, but without all the blood, gore and monstrosities.

Hope I can fix this damn syringe!

Edit: Sorry it took a while, I had to take care of some... responsibilities. Anyway, I've tried EVERYTHING now, following any instructions to the letter, but it still doesn't work. I still cant render the bloody coordinates. God help me if I wanted to render something with more than 3 colours, (EG an actual scene in Rayfire), oh wait, I CAN render big scenes at high resolution and high settings, it just takes a very, very, VERY long time, plus a bit longer.

Maybe I could upload the model or the scene itself so you could have a play with it? Dont want to sound cheeky, but I dont know what I can do on my end. This thing took me so long to create (even though its relatively simple), its because I'm still "wet behind the ears" when it comes to 3D modelling. The UV mapping was SO horribly fiddly, I thought I'd NEVER get it finished. If you take my model ("go on, TAKE IT!") you'll see what I mean about the mapping nightmares, especially on the rubber pump thing inside the tube.

DAMN it man...
  • Shuriken UK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nobody willing to take a look at this model for me? Give it a little diagnostic rundown? Dont really wanna dash it into the fire...
  • JonathanLambert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonathanLambert polycounter lvl 6
    I could take a look at for you. I bet it's your computer, I've had problems RTT at 4096 on a machine with only 4GB of ram. Have you tried restarting your machine and closing all other programs and rendering @ 2048. Also, if you are hand painting the texture, you could render the UV template at a lower res and scale it to fit your 4096 photoshop file. Besides, I think 2048 is a little over kill for that asset unless it's for a cinematic and real close to the camera.
  • Shuriken UK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man, I'll upload the file. So, how would I use this "scaling up" method you mentioned? I thought the only way to determine the level of detail a UV map could have, was by choosing a resolution in the "render UV map" dialog (as in, it tells the "recieving program" how detailed the model is). So if I understand this correctly, it doesn't even matter what resolution I choose in Max? EG, if I chose the standard 1024, but I wanted 4096, all I need to do is go into photoshop and scale that up to 4096, THEN when I bring it into UDK or whatever, it will have a texture res of 4096?

LOL, I kind of love it, AND hate it when you THINK you've got something figured out, then you realise you were barking up the wrong tree! Scientists must get this all day long, since the days of the alchemists!

Yea the model was intended for a high detail cinematic in UDK. I wanted to do something like a video about nano machines, where the camera zooms in through the "chasis" of the syringe, right up to a stupidly high level of magnification, so you can see these tiny little nano-structures floating around. I was gonna have to fake the zooming in thing, so it zooms JUST through the chasis, then I make these nano machines spawn, starting at the size of a pixel, and eventually growing to the size of a full onscreen "character", giving the illusion that the camera had zoomed right in, but it was actually the models growing. That sounds WAY beyond my level of skill though LOL.

Anyway I'll upload the model right now and PM you when the links up.

File name: Syringe_HiPoly_S88.ASE File size: 509.83 KB

Thanks!