Home Technical Talk

3Ds Max/ Zbrush: Industry vs personal workflow

polycounter lvl 12
Online / Send Message
HAWK12HT polycounter lvl 12
Hi all, After reading, watching and searching on Zbrush workflow I am facing the point of decision making on the subject of workflow when using Zbrush and Max together.

I am going to prefer making low poly with enough details than importing to Zbrush for more stuff to get Normals and other maps. I dont want to end up wasting time using optimisation and simplyfying mesh. Its just me I dont like computer do calculations for me and give me a mess to deal with. I have used optimization thing before and I really hate them.
I am using UDK so I love my grid setup in Max, I am new to Zbrush and havent found precise calculation thing yet.

Compared to what experts in Zbrush are doing.
Making super high stuff, importing in Max using Polycruncher, sorting out messed up vertices, edges, Unwrapping etc.

I know in arts there is no right or wrong way and patience is the key to victory, but i dont have time as a luxury at hand and would like to know what u guys think before I fully commit myself into Painting stuff like a pro :D.

Replies

• cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Hi all, After reading, watching and searching on Zbrush workflow I am facing the point of decision making on the subject of workflow when using Zbrush and Max together.

There's theory, and then there's practice. The latter should give you a good indication of how the process works, which should then give you a better indication of when you may (or may not) want to use such methods. It's not something that should require a full commitment or a lot of time; small tests and experiments will suffice.
    Its just me I dont like computer do calculations for me and give me a mess to deal with. I have used optimization thing before and I really hate them... Compared to what experts in Zbrush are doing.Making super high stuff, importing in Max using Polycruncher, sorting out messed up vertices, edges, Unwrapping etc.

It may be worth noting that the automatic calculations (decimation master, meshlab, polycrunch, etc) are not meant to create the final product (at least for a game asset). Depending on your system and level of detail put into the sculpt, they may not even be needed. When people use them with a sculpt, it's generally just to make the file lighter so that there isn't as much data to load and process while retopologizing and baking maps. The topology is a mess, but it's only the surface that matters for the high-poly. Then manual retopology kicks in, which is actually a pretty straight forward and quick process now with plenty of tools dedicated to speeding things up.

It still may sound like extra work or an extra step you don't want to waste time optimizing (which really isn't a waste of time as it can be an important process with real-time assets), but if you want to sculpt then you may be stuck with having to optimizie things regardless. Your base mesh may need control loops to hold its shape, and will need evenly distributed (square-ish) faces to help maintain consistant behavior in areas where you want to sculpt. As a result, the mesh created for sculpting can often be different than the final mesh used in the game.

What kind of assets were you looking to create? (Characters, environmental props, textures?)
  • poopipe
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    make full res version using whatever techniques work for you
    build low res version around it
    bake maps

any other way of working just results in you repeating yourself or getting crap results in my experience
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Hi ty for response, Stoned I am now lol oO I forgot about the part where u have to make ur mesh full evenly spread quads before exporting to Zbrush. Yes you are right Cryrid I have to put down my theory into practise :) eventually. My intention is to make environments Modular style so kinda worried in terms of grid snapping and units (size in UDK) if I straight up do it in Zbrush.

This kinda reminds me of good old days when i first started out in 3D, trying to make a perfect car model which I did after 4th attempt :D.

Thanks guys.
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    @Poopipe I wish I can do that lol, I start from low and work to high. But this time I want to get down and dirty with Zbrush. Thanks m8 for feedback.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    the reason I work that way is that if you attempt to sculpt a basemesh and then re-use it later for the final result you'll generally find one of the following happens..

1: You have a bad basemesh for sculpting because it's not even enough and you have to retopologise in order to get a decent high res - which then means your low-res mesh is out of synch and you have to build a new one anyway
    2: your basemesh doesn't fit the shape of the high res very well and you have to build a new one anyway anyway

basically - you'll end up rebuilding something which is a pain in the arse and wastes time.

There's no reason not to use a basemesh built in max or whatever - just don't spend time making it the right shape when you can chop it about in zbrush much more quickly.

With characters i'll usually build the body out of zspheres (then sculpt it obviously) then accessorise at full res using max/zbrush/whatever .
    Once that's done I'll retopologise (i use wrapit as a rule) based on the final shape , unwrap and do my bakes

for environment type stuff then a max basemesh would be the sensible way to start so's your proportions etc are correct - I'd just say don't expect to re-use it for your lowpoly later
  • Gestalt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gestalt polycounter lvl 11
    For anything organic I just start in Zbrush and rough out a form with dynamesh or whatever works. It's a good idea to GoZ it at some point into a modelling program to get the scale set. I export a decimated version to build a low-poly from using 3dcoat (or any modeling application).

For anything hard-surface, modular etc, the grid is very very important and usually you can get most of the form with basic modeled geometry (like walls and basic forms like that). If you can get the form that way (and don't need to bake any form) then you can do a lot with NDO2 and photoshop to get the surface details and pretty much skip high-poly work.

If you are doing a clean hard-surface that needs precision and has a lot of complex form, then model it high-poly/subd in a modeling app. Zbrush can do hard-surface but for the most part if you want any precision you're best off modeling by hand.

If you want to use Zbrush for modular pieces I'd make the low-poly piece first, have it snapped to the grid and ready to go, use Zbrush to add details that don't change the form, and use the original low-poly for the bakes and as the final mesh. There are many ways to go about detailing a low-poly without changing the form of the mesh (NDO2, per-pixel painting, baking from a high-poly, etc).
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    umm im lost again oO. I agree what u say poopipe and i just saw maya to Zbrush and guy did the same thing i want to (make modular asset) but daium he had to adjust it so many times in Zbrush to actually work on it.

Yes I loved the method you mention Gestalt , make low poly and add normals like nuts bolts as separate layers in Photoshop, It gives me more control of what i want to add, but that is an easy way. I have done that before. I am working in 3D arts for long time and I wanna go full on with Zbrush and Kevin Johnstone has inspired me alot with his work for Gears.
    Also I have just found Grid in Zbrush which is great news lol but have no clue and no forums that mention if this grid spacing is exactly like in Max/ Maya/ UDK. like 1 unit = 1 UDK unit.

Neways a long road ahead of me to learn this Zbrush, but i am really upset not many people are into Hard Surface using Zbrush, hence not much info. But hey I might share my knowledge once i get there :P. lol

Try and fail, dont fail to try
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    I'd just say don't expect to re-use it for your lowpoly later

What u mean? If i make High res (decimate it use GoZ to bring in Max) than use it to bake on lowpoly. How it can not be reused again once things are baked? oO
  • poopipe
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    if we're talking a brick wall then it'll be fine but if you're adding lumps and bumps and so on then the basemesh won't be the right shape to get a decent end result
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    yea obviously you dont want to add arm sticking out of your wall when there is no arm on Low version lol. My intention is carved out details like from Victorian and ancient era, which u can make easyily with using Alpha maps in Zbrush compared to making them in highpoly by hand lol.
    The only hurdle is that you want to make your low poly in even Quad spacing in order to make it work Zbrush correctly. Correct me if im wrong on this one.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    The only hurdle is that you want to make your low poly in even Quad spacing in order to make it work Zbrush correctly. Correct me if im wrong on this one.

It helps. It doesn't have to be perfectly spaced, and the more you subdivide the less it will probably matter. Consistency will probably be the more important thing if you expect to sculpt across a surface (if one area is dense and another has much wider faces, trying to sculpt across it may look like the stroke stepped down a subdivision level. There are times when you may even want to do this on purpose, if one area of a model just isn't going to need the same amount of detail as another).

It really doesn't even have to be all quads truth be told. It's just more of an ideal, but isn't always needed to get the job done.
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    A ha, Thanks Cryrid for insight. I too was wondering that it cant b that bad if u have some tris.
    So today i have finally finished all Kevin Johnstone's posts and came to realise that what i am looking for needs to b modelled super high in Max than Zbrush than Decimate or Polycruncher and Low poly. Sigh I will miss Low poly stage first lol. But on a possitive note I get my pefect units I want (scale, measurements etc).

I am ready to jumpl from a plane with closed eyes (with ofcourse Parachute)

I believe in English you say it as "Leap of Faith" ? XD
  • Shuriken UK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAWK12HT wrote: »
    Hi ty for response, Stoned I am now lol oO I forgot about the part where u have to make ur mesh full evenly spread quads before exporting to Zbrush. Yes you are right Cryrid I have to put down my theory into practise :) eventually. My intention is to make environments Modular style so kinda worried in terms of grid snapping and units (size in UDK) if I straight up do it in Zbrush.

This kinda reminds me of good old days when i first started out in 3D, trying to make a perfect car model which I did after 4th attempt :D.

Thanks guys.

HAHAHA, I think that might be where you and me share a problem! Smoking weed, and trying to make game levels and 3D Models while your stoned out of your face! Its a lot easier when your making music stoned, because music allows you to be more spontaneous with the production, and be experimental, get carried away by a vibe, trail off into a new tune entirely. With 3D Modelling though, maybe its cos I'm a beginner 3D modeller, but an experienced "music man", everything becomes so much more confusing, and I forget what I just did, so I do it twice without realising! Yesterday I made another UV map when I didn't even need to... With music though, I've made a lot of tunes with friends, and when your sharing a spliff, the whole room is just ALIVE with ideas. We can make like 6 tunes in a day, locked in the studio for about 10 hours, nothing but ganja and a lot of tea & coffee. I could never do this with 3D modelling though...
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    hahahahahah lol, Ahem I meant it in a "so to speak" manner when I said "Stoned" not as in real, I dont even drink tea lol. But hey you dont have to worry about Modelling so much as Im sure you will find good support here and well I would love to help you when I can in ur modelling skills while you are not "Stoned" :P lol
  • Shuriken UK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAWK12HT wrote: »
    hahahahahah lol, Ahem I meant it in a "so to speak" manner when I said "Stoned" not as in real, I dont even drink tea lol. But hey you dont have to worry about Modelling so much as Im sure you will find good support here and well I would love to help you when I can in ur modelling skills while you are not "Stoned" :P lol

Thanks man I'll keep you informed then, cos I'm also using UDK, concentrating mostly on the "ins & outs" of asset creation right now! Used to make maps for the UT games, but always wanted to work on something that could be more than just a map or a mod. As in a game or some kind of interactive movie.