Home General Discussion

Blizzard Student Art Contest

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
Not sure if this has been posted yet. But Blizzard has a pretty cool contest going on for students. Details about the mentorship and other prizes are posted on the link.

http://t.co/jFX5n0Fy

"Blizzard Entertainment’s university relations and World of Warcraft development teams are proud to present our first Student Art Contest!

We’re calling on all college and university students to submit an original environment piece fit for World of Warcraft. Using your creativity and ability to work within the WoW art style, create a small environment diorama. Required elements are trees, rocks, grass, and props, plus a small structure or shrine.

The final piece should be structured close to the example provided at right. We’re looking for lower poly count (e.g.: around 1,500 polys for a mature-sized tree).

Show us something that we’ve never seen before, but that still works within the World of Warcraft universe!

All entries must be received by January 15, 2012, and meet the image-formatting requirements (high-resolution JPEG no greater than 5MB in size) in the official rules in order to be eligible to win. Only current college and university students are eligible to win. Check out the official rules for more information. "

Replies

• Fomori
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Sounds like fun. Shame I'm not a student.
    I bet they get a very high volume of entries.
  • EmAr
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Cool and useful prizes. Can be a very nice opportunity to make new connections.

I think the Polycount "university" should be given the reputation it deserves for the sake of polycounters employed at Blizzard though :P
  • System
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    US/Canada Only?! Why?! The prizes are remotely delivered, I see no reason why they should limit it to North America. To limit the number of entries they have to sift through perhaps, I can see this being very popular.

In any case, a very cool little comp, may have a go at it anyway even though I'm not eligible.

Thanks for sharing!
  • Frump
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Student-only

Does it bug anyone else that students specifically get so many benefits? Student discounts, student art contests, internships and co-ops for students, etc. Not to take anything away, I was a student too, but people who are no longer students but haven't broken in have it just as hard, if not harder. Then they get shafted for all of this stuff as soon as they receive their piece of paper. Also the people who are just as deserving but decided not to go the paid art school route and are now excluded because they aren't enrolled. Seems like a lame place to draw the line, to me.
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • gibson543
    Offline / Send Message
    gibson543 polycounter lvl 13
    um do high school students count?

edit: nvm nope, not allowed :(
  • Saman
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Frump wrote: »
    Student-only

Does it bug anyone else that students specifically get so many benefits? Student discounts, student art contests, internships and co-ops for students, etc. Not to take anything away, I was a student too, but people who are no longer students but haven't broken in have it just as hard, if not harder. Then they get shafted for all of this stuff as soon as they receive their piece of paper. Also the people who are just as deserving but decided not to go the paid art school root and are now excluded because they aren't enrolled. Seems like a lame place to draw the line, to me.

The reason students get these benifits is because it's probably easier to prove that you're a student there than just saying that you have no industry experience and job. It's harder to allow you and people in your situation without excluding professionals. I'm with you on this, guys in your situation should if anything get chances like this.

Also never do competitions like this for the sake of the prizes, always do it for the exposure!
  • Gannon
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    If I had extra money I would take a class at a community college to qualify for this and the internship program.

Best of luck to everyone who applys. The competition's going to be fierce I'm sure.
  • e-freak
    US/Can only... Shame :/
  • Skillmister
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    Student-only

Does it bug anyone else that students specifically get so many benefits? Student discounts, student art contests, internships and co-ops for students, etc. Not to take anything away, I was a student too, but people who are no longer students but haven't broken in have it just as hard, if not harder. Then they get shafted for all of this stuff as soon as they receive their piece of paper. Also the people who are just as deserving but decided not to go the paid art school root and are now excluded because they aren't enrolled. Seems like a lame place to draw the line, to me.

You should be glad, a 1 year WoW subscription is only going to end up hindering not helping :)
  • aajohnny
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    I'm totally gonna do it... it doesn't hurt :D
  • MalloryW
    Offline / Send Message
    MalloryW polycounter lvl 14
    I'm going to do this. Tired of letting sweet looking competitions pass me by.
  • hathol
    Offline / Send Message
    hathol polycounter lvl 6
    i'm hopefully going to be in school next year for a postgrad in game design, so hopefully they'll let me enter, otherwise i may just do it for the practice and experience. we should start another WIP thread for this so that everyone can show off and help each other out. how sweet would it be if a polycounter won! lets do it.
  • ParoXum
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    I might do it just for the sake of practicing lower poly stuff and stylized models.
  • Kot_Leopold
    Offline / Send Message
    Kot_Leopold polycounter lvl 10
    If only I was focused on making environments and not characters instead... Boomer! :(
  • MainManiac
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    Kot, but the painting practice is equivalent, is it not?
  • Talbot
    hehe I've already started.
  • Gannon
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    ParoXum wrote: »
    I might do it just for the sake of practicing lower poly stuff and stylized models.

ditto, already planned on it. It's a nice little concept and it seems like fun.
  • toxic_h2o
    Offline / Send Message
    toxic_h2o polycounter lvl 8
    looking forward to this!! :D
  • pariahloki
    Offline / Send Message
    pariahloki polycounter lvl 6
    I've already started my concept art for this, and I've almost narrowed down my idea. Best of luck to all who enter!
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I'm confused, but the answer is somewhat important.

When they say "diorama," are they just looking for a 2D painting (cuz that dioroama example looks awful like a painting) or do they want a full 3D model tile?
  • Limewax
    Offline / Send Message
    Limewax polycounter lvl 6
    The diorama was a painting, yes... but they want you to come up with a concept on your own and render it in 3D (hence why they spell out the tri-count limit on the tree for an example).

Good luck to all :)
  • TortillaChips
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    Student-only

Does it bug anyone else that students specifically get so many benefits? Student discounts, student art contests, internships and co-ops for students, etc. Not to take anything away, I was a student too, but people who are no longer students but haven't broken in have it just as hard, if not harder. Then they get shafted for all of this stuff as soon as they receive their piece of paper. Also the people who are just as deserving but decided not to go the paid art school route and are now excluded because they aren't enrolled. Seems like a lame place to draw the line, to me.

Yeah I kind of get that. In terms of portfolio work it's easier now as I'm not bogged down by having to do unrelated modules or writing up essays. In terms of finance though it's the opposite. The student maintenance loans where I was were quite generous unless you bought a new PC/car with it or something, or if your parents earnt a lot you didn't get as much. But now when there's no income a discount would be quite nice. However I don't see that many discounts for game art stuff anyway, student or otherwise. I did catch a sale at theartdepartment.org a few months which wasn't restricted to students, a $60 dvd for $8 I think it was. I'd love more stuff like that.
  • jairo0182
    Hello!

Does anybody know what is the texture size for the contest, i think is a 1024x1024, can we use multiple textures or it has to be a single 1024x1024???

Thanks!