Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Breaking Bad Meth Lab

Hey, Polycount! I've mainly been a lurker, but I think it's time I start posting my WIP stuff on here. Lately I've been working on a UDK environment based on a scene from the TV show "Breaking Bad". The scene is of the super-meth lab featured in the show (I've included a reference pic at the bottom of this post).

lab1.jpg

lab2.jpg

lab3.jpg

lab4.jpg

lab5.jpg

The scene is very much a WIP and I still have a lot of work to do, since there's so many unique models in this scene. Tell me what you guys think! All comments and crits are greatly appreciated.

Here is a picture of the original lab for those of you unfamiliar with the show:

lab16.jpg

Replies

• Razgriz
    Offline / Send Message
    Razgriz keyframe
    I really had it pegged as a CryEngine map when I first saw the screenshots. It's tough to sell clean environments like this sometimes, I think you nailed the atmosphere.

If I had to complain, I would say that I don't like what the giant tile floor does with the scale, I think you might have been better off taking license to make it smaller. You changed the lighting from the screenshot quite a bit (much more ambient, less contrasted), and I think it helped a lot. I think with these sorts of things (tv, movie sets) that aren't made for game spaces, you should be looking for ways to improve and change the original design for game-environment purposes. Just my two cents!
  • Joshflighter
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
    I love the clean feel to everything! Nicely done! :)
  • Scampbell
    Offline / Send Message
    Scampbell polycounter lvl 7
    this is looking really nice man, one thing i do really like about the ref image is the metal is reflecting something blue im not sure exactly what it is but it brings more color into the scene. that might be something cool to add in there. i do really like the atmosphere you have given it. great job so far man
  • trancerobot
    Offline / Send Message
    trancerobot polycounter lvl 7
    The tiles do add to the scale issue, but I think what does the most damage is the step-ladder in the center of the first and last screenshot. Also adding to it is that the width of the spiral stairs seems to be exaggerated, but that could just be the camera's field of vision.

When making comparisons, it might be best to make sure your FOV setting is similar to the camera on the set of the show.

You can find that information here - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0903747/technical , however you may need to convert the camera's 35 millimeter lens number to an FOV angle. This can quickly be done in Max. (I don't know if CryEngine takes both or needs FOV or what so the suggestion could be moot)

Other than that, this is wonderful.
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    That's very nice looking already!

Since you're asking for feedback, one of the first things i noticed was the very "foggy" light setup. I actually like the look, but it seems unlikely they'd do chemical lab work in such light conditions ;)

I'd also look at all the 'cauldrons' and their reflections again, they should probably be a little more shiny, same goes for the floor. The lighting changes might help here, though!

The concrete wall has no horizontal detail - but i'm pretty sure that's just a stand-in.

Now, since it's a fairly stark environment, maybe try and jazz it up a little by implying that something just happened. Put in a broom and a puddle of blood oozing into the gutter; have the feet of a hazmat suit sticking out behind one of the cylinders and spill machinery and various bottles around them.. or something! Great idea for a scene, push it further :)
  • beancube
    Offline / Send Message
    beancube polycounter lvl 17
    Looks good! Yes very Cryengine to me as well :)

I agree there's a bit too much vaseline on the lense :P
    Pumping some more light and color into the scene, just to pop out a little more form in those shadowed areas would work wonders!
  • mystichobo
    Offline / Send Message
    mystichobo polycounter lvl 12
    looks very nice.

Would look semi-dodgy if someone checked your internet history after looking for refs of meth lab equipment :P
  • Jessica Dinh
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    This is looking really nice so far. I think you've nailed the atmosphere, and what an interesting subject too hahhaa.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    Bad ass, dood. bad ass.
  • euclidius
    Offline / Send Message
    euclidius polycounter lvl 17
    it's looking great man- keep it up :]
  • ZacD
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The atmosphere is great, the chrome metal material isn't doing it for me yet.
  • Computron
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    I did a double take, just to check if this was done in CryEngine 3.

That can be a good thing. :)
  • Z3NZY
    Offline / Send Message
    Z3NZY polycounter lvl 7
    Looks really cool, you're really getting the feel of the place with this.
  • Tadao215
    Offline / Send Message
    Tadao215 polycounter lvl 13
    I love the clean feel to everything! Nicely done! :)
    no contamination!
    looks really nice. I think any fan of the show would be able to identify this room right away
  • raging_river
    Offline / Send Message
    raging_river polycounter lvl 11
    This thread should have put SPOILER in the title, I haven't seen this Lab yet :P (only joke)

Nice work!
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    The ladder is way off, and that might be something you nail, its got a lot of character. Also bump up the reflections on the metal drums, look at how the drums look in that reference.
  • Amadreaus
    No way! I've had this exact idea rolling around in my brain for a project. But, then again, this show is so great that I'm sure many of us have wanted to give it a whirl. More power to you, man! Bust it out.
  • sjuskadur
    Offline / Send Message
    sjuskadur polycounter lvl 7
    Looks great dude. I agree with the previous dudes on the vaseline lens. My input would be that even though it might look quite new in the scene in the show all your stuff is so with out a scratch that it is uncanny. I would look at grungeing it up a bit. Not much but just enough to make it look like it has been used some. Also with metal the color comes more from the spec rather than the diffuse. Try getting the look of the tanks with out using a reflectionmap then add the reflection in there as the cherry on top. Apart from that this stuff looks great. Keep at it!
  • Limewax
    Offline / Send Message
    Limewax polycounter lvl 6
    I think you could work a bit yellow/green in to your walls/brick texture back there... that was the first thing that jumped out at me by comparison.

Also, a detail "scuff" spec map for your floors are going to give you the biggest return for getting that to look more realistic... even though this is a clean place, people still walk around on that floor and it wears down unevenly in spots. Basically take whatever spec you're using for the floor right now and run an uneven grunge brush over some parts (make sure it tiles, still)
  • Aigik
    Hey guys! Sorry for the delay. I've been distracted with some other stuff. Got as far as an art test with DICE, but I failed it, unfortunately. So that means it's time to get back to work so I can better my skills and try again next time!

Here's an update on the lab. I added a bunch more of the lab equipment, and I've been playing with the lighting.

labwip1.jpg

labwip2.jpg

labwip3.jpg

labwip4.jpg

labwip5.jpg

labwip6.jpg

I acknowledge that the two areas I need improvement in the most are texturing and lighting. I think I have my modeling down, I just have difficulty with those two areas. So, what do you guys think?
  • Mark Dygert
    BEAUTIFUL... I love it! And congrats on making it on the main page ;)
  • claydough
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    It's missing a green Box Cutter. :poly124:
  • jmt
    This looks great. Now that I think about it, I've never seen Breaking Bad fan art before.

One critique: The light glares coming from your fluorescent tube lights look more like what you'd see from a spotlight/light bulb. It's emitting the glare from a central point rather than glowing all around like in the reference image.
  • erroldynamic
    Offline / Send Message
    erroldynamic polycounter lvl 18
    That's so rad! Awesome job... love this frickin' show too.
  • DockRock
    Offline / Send Message
    DockRock polycounter lvl 8
    That is some pretty amazing work!
  • mikezoo
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    beautiful work man!
    My only crit is that I don't see Gale's coffee machine!! c'mon! best. coffee.ever!:thumbup:
  • TonyClifton
    Let´s cook! Congratz!
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Copied this comment from the front page news just in case you don't check there.

Here's a few things I see missing, some that have already been mentioned. Some of it may not be necessary depending on what part of the show your lab is from.

Grates on the floor, Gail's coffee contraption, Gus' Camera, lockers near the spiral staircase, and a changing station with masks/yellow suits.

And a few things you could add that would be cool but aren't necessary.

Aluminum shaving bins, the green box cutter, a clear barrel full of disintegrated human goop, a few pans of unbroken blue on the table, and a bin or two full of broken blue.

Overall it's looking pretty accurate and quite fancy. Looking forward to seeing it finished!
  • deadpixl
    Offline / Send Message
    deadpixl polycounter lvl 9
  • Aigik
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    Copied this comment from the front page news just in case you don't check there.

Here's a few things I see missing, some that have already been mentioned. Some of it may not be necessary depending on what part of the show your lab is from.

Grates on the floor, Gail's coffee contraption, Gus' Camera, lockers near the spiral staircase, and a changing station with masks/yellow suits.

And a few things you could add that would be cool but aren't necessary.

Aluminum shaving bins, the green box cutter, a clear barrel full of disintegrated human goop, a few pans of unbroken blue on the table, and a bin or two full of broken blue.

Overall it's looking pretty accurate and quite fancy. Looking forward to seeing it finished!

I was planning on adding a lot of the things you said except for the barrel with the goop. I love the idea! I'll have to add that as well.

And thanks for the comments everyone. I was quite surprised to come out of a boring long lecture in class, only to be jolted awake by seeing my thing featured on the main page. Really made my day. :)
  • Goobatastic
    Offline / Send Message
    Goobatastic polycounter lvl 8
    Hey guys! Sorry for the delay. I've been distracted with some other stuff. Got as far as an art test with DICE, but I failed it, unfortunately. So that means it's time to get back to work so I can better my skills and try again next time!

Here's an update on the lab. I added a bunch more of the lab equipment, and I've been playing with the lighting.

WHat the steps leading to the art test and what did the art test involve?

Great btw love the show
  • chrisavigni
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisavigni polycounter lvl 12
    Simply amazing!
  • nathanbarrett
    Offline / Send Message
    nathanbarrett polycounter lvl 6
    wow, awesome models!
  • martinszeme
    Offline / Send Message
    martinszeme polycounter lvl 8
    Awesome stuff mate! One thing I noticed is you are missing the coffee "machine" - that elaborate chemistry set converted into coffee machine.
    Other than that I like what I see. Keep it up!
  • FunkaDelicDass
    Offline / Send Message
    FunkaDelicDass polycounter lvl 18
    You should look around and see if anyone has modeled Tyrus, then see if you can add him just standing there looking mean.

Great work!
  • Aigik
    WHat the steps leading to the art test and what did the art test involve?

Great btw love the show

Well, all the steps leading up to the test involved was working my butt off on my portfolio and getting my skills up to par, and then applying and hoping for the best. I won't say what the art test involved because I don't know how public they want to make it. But yeah, I was completely caught off guard when DICE of all developers, probably my favorite developer of all time, and the creator of my favorite game series, gave me an art test. Despite failing it, I feel great. I feel great because I actually got considered by them, and I know what I did wrong, so I can improve and try again next time.

And yeah, I do love the show.
  • Aigik
    You should look around and see if anyone has modeled Tyrus, then see if you can add him just standing there looking mean.

Great work!

I've actually been thinking about trying to model Gus, and have him standing on the balcony looking over the lab, but because I have no experience character modeling, it would probably turn into a disaster. :poly124:
  • The_Blenderer
    Where is mah forklift? :P

Modelling Gus also sounds good, it will probably be easy to get a good reference of him since he tends to stand straight and very still in that proper style of his

Here is one that is not bad :
    the-stare-of-gus_506x322.jpg

I think the best is probably the scene where he shows his true face in the lab and slash that guy's throat because there he is without his glasses.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Missing fly paper otherwise it's awesome.
  • dragan01
    great job man, the clean look is really making the atmosphere come together. keep it goign!
  • Shogun3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Great work! Love the lighting.
  • kurt_hectic
    Offline / Send Message
    kurt_hectic polycounter lvl 10
    bad ass but also it's 'hi poly', isn't it?
  • haiddasalami
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    The coffee contraption!!! Definitely liking this. A classmate of mine suggested that.
  • bipolar
    Offline / Send Message
    bipolar polycounter lvl 7
    Excellent! Love that show, and your environment is great! Nice atmoshpere..
  • WayneAdams
    I didn't see anyone ask this yet.. so how much time has gone into the scene so far? It's amazing work.
  • Aigik
    Hey guys! Sorry I haven't updated this in so long. I've found some time to work on it again, and here are some updated WIP shots:

marchshot1.png

marchshot2.png

marchshot3.png

marchshot4.png

I look forward to hearing your feedback, especially about the lighting, since that's an area I need to improve in, I think. :)
  • StraightDraw84
    Offline / Send Message
    StraightDraw84 polycounter lvl 9
    Very well done, I love the lighting. My only critique is that the beakers in the 2nd last render that you posted look "dusty". I don't know if that's the look you're going for (never seen the show).

Awesome work man!
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Offline / Send Message
    nfrrtycmplx polycounter lvl 18
    Very well done, I love the lighting. My only critique is that the beakers in the 2nd last render that you posted look "dusty". I don't know if that's the look you're going for (never seen the show).

Awesome work man!

NEVER?! WHAT?!

This here lab is one of my favourite environment pieces ever made. Maybe it's because I love the show that much, or maybe because this stuff is so awesome looking.

Good job!
  • Aigik
    Thanks guys! I'm glad you like the lighting. I'll be working on the floor, since a friend of mine said everything looks "floaty" as if it's floating above the floor (this is especially evident in the 4th pic). Other than that, I think I'm close to calling this done. :)
  • mbischof
    nice, breaking bad is awesome