Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sci Fi Rifle

As this is probably going to be my most complex model yet i thought why not make a wip thread and hopefully get some tips and feedback. So here it goes, this is the concept i am working on:
compact_sniper_rifle_by_meckanicalmind-d47r97c.jpg
and this is what i got on day 1
Untitled-1.jpgUntitled-2.jpg

I applied turbosmooth to the lower part since it seemes like a rather smooth object in the concept. Unfortunatly i am not really satisfied with that part so far- I will see what i can do about it tomorrow.

Replies

• Virgil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your general shape is solid, but the biggest issue is the handle is way too skinny and not rounded near enough. At the moment it looks similar to holding a deck of cards, where in reality it should look something more like this:

OSBpU.png

Since the rifle is very much based on existing weaponry, look at extensive reference of modern assault rifles, the small details you can add will lend realism to the final construction.
  • AsaNYC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AsaNYC polycounter lvl 12
    I'd suggest separating the receiver into and upper and lower receiver, in addition to the rounded grip assembly section. The seam is perfect and looks like it will allow you to focus on harder and blocky versus sleek curves a bit more. Seems like you might end up having to do too much work to keep the edgeflow going between them already.

That said, this is a good start and I look forward to seeing what you make of it.
  • Boing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I allready seperated it into 3 parts. Is that what you mean?Untitled-1%20-%20Kopie.jpg
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    I think it would help you a lot to not focus on the side view so much. Right now it looks like you did the majority of the work from the side and then added some supporting loops. Instead, look at the contours of some real guns and try and mimic that in yours.
  • Artist_in_a_box
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Artist_in_a_box polycounter lvl 7
    I think it would help you a lot to not focus on the side view so much. Right now it looks like you did the majority of the work from the side and then added some supporting loops. Instead, look at the contours of some real guns and try and mimic that in yours.

Seconded.

You have focused too much on the side view. Understandable as its your only point of reference but you would do well to constantly check the model in perspective to make sure it works from all angles. At the moment this is too flat on the sides. Though it is a very good starting point and you caught the issue before it became an 'issue' Nice concept btw
  • Boing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Added more edges to the upper part, "unflattened" it a bit and redid the handle. I think it looks better now, still maybe a little bit to big though.
    front.gif
    perspective.jpg
    perspective2.jpg
    I still think the lower part looks to organic.
  • jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jordan.kocon polycounter lvl 13
    I think you need to stop smoothing your mesh and adding control loops. Work on getting the correct shapes and proportions 100% nailed down, then start adding control loops and subdividing your model.
  • Boing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    after i redid most of the mesh again (and again...) im now somewhat satisfied with the overal basemesh, and will start working on the scope next.

front.jpg
    perspective3.jpg
    perspective4.jpg
    detail01.jpg
  • Nano XS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I might have a go at making a similar model, if I get the time. :)

Looks alright at the moment, but the handle just doesn't look appealing IMO.
  • Boing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nano XS wrote: »
    I might have a go at making a similar model, if I get the time. :)

Looks alright at the moment, but the handle just doesn't look appealing IMO.

I agree with you, but i cant pin down the problem with it -.-
    Like suggested i redid the basic shape before smoothing it and looked at many reallife references for the handle. Some of those references were very flat some more rounded. Unfortunatly the concept is not a big help here either, since it only shows the sideview.
  • Boing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finaly found some time to work on the rifle again, guess i am pretty much done with the highpoly, maybe some tweaks here and there, but no more big changes. front3.jpg
    perspective6.jpg
    perspective7.jpg

This is the first time i am using floating geometry for the highpoly bake. For smaller parts like the little screwholes it looks good, but for the big "things" on the front side... idk, they look so floating. Hope it will bake correctly...
  • Boing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looked nice on my cheap monitor :)

diffuse1.jpg
    front4.jpg
    perspective8.jpg