Home Technical Talk

Normal Map Black Wireframe Lines - Maya

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
richwderby polycounter lvl 6
Does anyone know what I am doing wrong? I think it may be the UV's that are causing the black lines to appear, im not sure :(

When making this I created half then flipped the UV's to the other side, which is probably why it has lines going right through the center

pc3.jpg

pc2.jpg

CGAzSLMb

thanks
pc2.jpg?w=85f6db3epc3.jpg?w=15d2057b

Replies

• richwderby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Uhni20
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any time you use the same uv's mirror'd on geometry you should make sure that the textures are flush, which might be one reason for your problem. Also what can be causing the problem is if you made the uv's then copied them to the other side vs just doing a straight projection so the uv's overlap seamlessly. You can see the distortion in the normal map where the lines are appearing so I dont think it's the uv's thats the problem but more so how your normal map was generated and transferred. Just out of curiosity did you use zbrush or maya to make the derformation/normals?
  • Uhni20
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    also, is that 1 piece of geometry or two copies sewn together
  • richwderby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I used the high to low poly bake within maya & its one half modelled then mirrored. I then used the UV flip plugin to move the mirrored part to the other side
  • Uhni20
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i see, have you tried going in selecting all the verts at and doing merge at a relatively low number? I know that might seem obvious, but i'm just tossing ideas - dling file now
  • richwderby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uhni20 wrote: »
    i see, have you tried going in selecting all the verts at and doing merge at a relatively low number? I know that might seem obvious, but i'm just tossing ideas - dling file now

Ok thanks :) Just assign the AO to the diffuse, you should be able to see the problems that way.

I merged the center verts at 0.1, all of them seem to be connected
  • Uhni20
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was looking at your uv's and they arent in the same 0-1 space which might be the source of your problems. I'm unfamiliar with the plugin you used so i cant tell if maybe the settings weren't right there, but when i tried a quick render with extreme bump values the two sides were pushing in different directions which would explain why there is a line in the middle of your geometry especially if you used a low bump value.
  • Uhni20
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ideally when you have the uv's mirrored you just want 1 set of uv's that you apply to 2 pieces of geometry. Not 2 sets of uv's assigned to 2 pieces of geometry, because that kinda of defeats the whole purpose or mirroring textures.
  • richwderby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks alot for your help, just a quick question how do I sort out the 2 sides that are pushing in different directions?

This was my setup if that helps:

Untitled-1.jpg
  • richwderby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I tried it in Maya 2010 and it baked perfectly lol. I have no idea why i didn't work in 2012. So ill just do my bakes in 2010 lol
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    fill texture seams == 1 pixel -> almost no mipmap support
    crank that value up to 32 or more !!

there is not enough padding!
  • richwderby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fill texture seams == 1 pixel -> almost no mipmap support
    crank that value up to 32 or more !!

there is not enough padding!

I used to have it set to 10, but my normal edges overlapped. (not that it made any difference to the model)