Home Technical Talk

backface mask problem

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
Hi I am trying to make a circular masking on an object but even if I selected on backface masking it still pass my masking throught all four surfaces of my mesh when I do in frontal view ... why that and how could I solve this?

thanks for any answer...

backfacemask.jpg

Replies

• tharle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tharle polycounter lvl 9
    i'm guessing you only want the very front surface masked? you could try polypainting it using the backface and/or topological masking options and then doing a mask by intensity or similar. my guess is the automasking options dont work with the mask brushes but i'm pretty sure they do with the normal ones.
  • SsSandu_C
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SsSandu_C polycounter lvl 13
    tharle is right... they do work with the masking pen... all you need to do is hold down ctrl and go to brush menu -> Auto masking -> click Backface masking and it is all done.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    That is what I did but it didnt work I can still paint mask over 4 surfaces...
  • SsSandu_C
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SsSandu_C polycounter lvl 13
    hmmm weird... did you disabled the symmetry...
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    I don't know if you can automask that kind of stroke/brush type (ones that let you hold space and move them around before applying). So it'll work with some of the maskpen options, just not rec/circle/curves/lasso.

You could try maskpen with the dragrect stroke and a round alpha.

Or paint the area in first with a normal maskpen stroke (freehand/dots), sharpen the mask, and use tool>> visibility >> HidePT.
    Then you can mask using whatever method want, and visibility>> showpts to bring back the rest.