Home Technical Talk

Ambient Occlussion Bake Failure.

Mecha
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Mecha polycounter lvl 11
Hi PolyCount,

I have a rather wierd error while trying to bake an ambient occlusion. I have only encountered this with this specific model so far.

spzled.png

What I've tried so far (wich in no way affect the results of this error)
  • Different UVs.
  • Another Highpoly model.
  • Tighter or wider projection cage.
  • Fiddling about with various settings in mental ray / render to texture.
All this with no avail, so my question is does anyone know straight of the bat what could cause this error?

Regards,
Mecha

Replies

• JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    What software u using?
  • Mecha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mecha polycounter lvl 11
    Doh! Knew I forgot to mention something..

3dsmax / Mental Ray
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    im not really seeing what the error is. how does it look on your model?
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Oniram wrote: »
    im not really seeing what the error is. how does it look on your model?

I'm guessing those blotchy spots all over are the errors. That ain't normal. Not sure how to fix it though... Maybe try baking with Xnormal?
  • Mecha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mecha polycounter lvl 11
    Due to the purpose of this model I am unable to show it in its whole.

However, I've made a more specific picture to show what I am talking about:

3355k4o.png

The red areas have some artifacts that I am unable to get rid, I get these both cage and without. Also stated in the first message, I've tried to bake from two different highpoly models. These artifacts are located under the arms and on the inner thighs.

The green areas is how I would expect the gradient to look with a nice and smooth transition from darker to light.

A sidenote aswell, I get no artifacting on the normalmap in these specific areas, only in the ambient occlussion.

Regards,
    Mecha
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Edit Poly on Low -> Hide Faces/Mesh

Now bake again.

Mental Ray, sometimes, for some reason, bakes your low-poly also, I know, it sucks.

Please note Mental-Ray is horrible at baking, which is a pity, since it's the only thing able to bake the AO by default, the other solution would be to try V-Ray.

The other solution would be to use xNormal, just export you High as triangulates OBJ, and export you Low as a Mesh with the Cage modifier in SBM format. Then tick box for Cage, and bake.

EDIT: Oops, didn't see your latest post, hmm, in that case, how many samples did you put up for the render? Mind show us your settings?
  • Mecha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mecha polycounter lvl 11
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    Edit Poly on Low -> Hide Faces/Mesh

Now bake again.

Mental Ray, sometimes, for some reason, bakes your low-poly also, I know, it sucks.

Please note Mental-Ray is horrible at baking, which is a pity, since it's the only thing able to bake the AO by default, the other solution would be to try V-Ray.

The other solution would be to use xNormal, just export you High as triangulates OBJ, and export you Low as a Mesh with the Cage modifier in SBM format. Then tick box for Cage, and bake.

EDIT: Oops, didn't see your latest post, hmm, in that case, how many samples did you put up for the render? Mind show us your settings?

Thanks a thousand times over! The HideFace did the trick, how such a small thing can be so painful to figure out. I would've never tried that in a million years.

Again, thanks a bunch!

Case closed.

Regards,
    Mecha
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea I've stopped using MR to bake normal maps, its way too slow and buggy. The one thing it does that other rendering engines don't, is bake AO but then you have to deal with quirks like having to hide the Low Poly mesh, but then it fudges up the padding so you're still screwed....

YEAH MENTAL RAY! (I hate you so much)
  • marul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marul polycounter lvl 7
    Finally found this thread after having the same issue. Thanks a lot for the workaround!