Home General Discussion

Edgeless document in Photoshop!

The idea is having an option to make a layer repeat over the edges of the document, so when you paint / draw something over the edge on that layer, it would appear on the other side too.

You could also move layers over the edge and they'd duplicate over the other side for when you copy parts of an images about.

Heres a mock-up of the idea, You can see the edgeless button at the top of the layers panel. The reason i've suggested it just being something that works on a per layer basis is to not crash Photoshop with heavy documents.
photoshop_edgless_mockup.jpg

This idea is something most of us want and here at polycount we clearly have enough people to get this idea into Adobes radar. Also I'm sure its something we could tell others about and they'd want it too.

With that in mind the please go to this suggestion page on Adobes Photoshop feedback site.

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/edgeless_document_idea

My post is the 3rd one down.

Its quick and easy to sign up. You only need an email.

Please voice your opinion on this. Please post a comment under my post so they can see people want this,
Also if you can mock-up a better design or idea feel free to do so.

Here's another picture of it when you make the base brick layer edgeless, this is where you could be cloning and sorting seams, I posted the other picture as this ones a bit hard on the eyes.
photoshop_edgless_mockup2.jpg

maybe we can get polycounts twitter to post about this?

Its a shame Photoshop is not really open to scripts to add features this, If it was I'm sure some amazing person out there would have already made something like this for Photoshop. where would we be without things such as textools!?

-lloyd

All these people who want to have this, please post / vote.
Visceral wrote: »
Oh my god! That is amazing. Do want!
Peris wrote: »
ooh lloyd that's really cool! I didn't even know that was possible in photoshop
jeffro wrote: »
@lloyd YES PLEASE!
biofrost wrote: »
lloyd: I would defiantly be interested in a script that does that.
Froyok wrote: »
Ho yes !
_Erik wrote: »
lloyd: Looks very useful. Do want!
dannedadon wrote: »
holy shit lloyd! +1 to DO WANT
@lloyd, that is EPIC, I've been wishing for something like this in Photoshop since forever! Can you draw and see it tile in real time?
Orgoth02 wrote: »
@lloyd awesome man.
Vegas wrote: »
lloyd, that script would be fantastic man.
!! yes please and thank you :]
yes lloyd yes! YESSS!!!
Snader wrote: »
Are you nuts? We must haz! GIEF!
How come you're not showing hos it's painted over the edges? You should :) sounds really really handy! :thumbup:
e-freak wrote: »
wow, that's great! how does it work? I thought the Photoshop Background was locked?
fonfa wrote: »
OF COURSE WE DO!

1726009-shut_up_and_take_my_money_super.jpg?1302576402
Wow, thats awesome!
This is what I've been dreaming of for the past time. The advantage of photoshop to zbrush method is that we can see the tiling in effect as we paint and that is really awesome!
So are you planning of putting this out there?
sltrOlsson wrote: »
Yeeeeeeeeeeees! Can't you show us the script in action with a little video! I would give you my left arm for this!
Makkon wrote: »
Llyod, not sure if someone would need something like that? People have been begging for something like it for years!
Ah nice stuff lloyd. Definitely an awesome script!
GabrielP wrote: »
Please give us more information!
LLOYD!!! pls tell US!!! :)
LLOYD!!!!! GIVE ME THE DEETS!!!
PDC wrote: »
Do waaaant!

Replies

• beancube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beancube polycounter lvl 17
    cool! im seriously surprised Adobe havent implemented this already aswell.
    I love the idea of the script working per layer too! sounds great and i will back it :)

This + nDo, id never leave photoshop haha.
  • Zoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zoid polycounter lvl 14
    they like to put in features and have them be spread out in the Adobe library, so you buy more of their products (and establish a clunky workflow.)

ps thank you adobe

1) for having a joke for full alpha png8bit support in photoshop forcing us to batch through fireworks
    2) A slop timeline for hand painting seamless texture sequences, or even just traditional animation
    3) an absolute joke of a graph editor for Flash, making any character animator cringe at its sight
    4) btw how long did it take to put in canvass rotation even though Painter had it in the 90's?

exactly.. where is that open source 2d package, you know like how blender is slowly becoming better than anything Autodesk could ever handle..
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    ^
    OK...*backs away very slowly*
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron polycounter lvl 13
    Oh god I want this so bad.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was wanting this very same thing this week.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    That would be GREAT. It's similar to Zbrush's canvas offset. Do want.
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    I would love to vote but that site is fucking terrible. Won't let me log in with my account, hangs when i try recover password, when i finally recover it hangs on login and the vote button doesn't respond.
  • lloyd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Zoid Yeah its a shame with what flash has leaned towards, simple stuffs been left such as setting a min/max size for the brush tool. something toonbooms had for years :(

I would love to vote but that site is fucking terrible. Won't let me log in with my account, hangs when i try recover password, when i finally recover it hangs on login and the vote button doesn't respond.

Yeah, I didn't have issues, what browser are you using?

It was nice you only need an email and don't have to give licensing info
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12

ya i had the same issue useing my main browser Opera 11 worked fine on firefox for me though
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    This is a nice idea. It'll never happen.

Photoshop is shoehorned into a painting program. Adobe only cares about the Graphic Designers and Photographers. It's called Photoshop and not Paintshop for a reason.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Want this. I get GPU-accelerated edgeless painting in Blender already, but the brush engine isn't Photoshop's.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    So i voted on there site.. But srlsy guys, there's no chance in the universe that they will even remotely think about it, until all of us and our whole freaking family writes up for this. So GO GO GO!

[EDIT] "Voted" as in waiting for there crappy site to let my message in :(
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    we were talking about this feature missing at work yesterday. would be such a handy tool for game artists its mindboggling its not added yet.

another feature would be if you could drop in a symmetry line anywhere in the doc and your strokes would be mirrored across it, horizontally or vertically.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Btw, allot of you guys are working at big AAA studios, can't you get them to stand behind this? I think that if there's giants standing behind something like this Adobe would have so much easier pushing this up in the priority que. Just an idea.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There is a paint-tiling feature in the 3D system. Not perfect, but definitely getting closer...
    http://forums.adobe.com/message/1645842#1645842

Edit... related video here.
    http://tv.adobe.com/watch/the-russell-brown-show/painting-3d-patterns/
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    ok I'm a little confused here......
    Lloyd wrote:
    I've been working on a script for Photoshop that gives you an edgeless canvas,
    so what you paint over an edge goes onto the other side, to help with tiling textures,

not sure if people would need something like this tho.

this was what caused the responses that you quoted in your OP, but it appears that the working on that you mention is just a post on an adobe wishlist and a screen mock-up.....am I missing something here? Its not the first time that I will have made an arse of myself on a forum but if this is the case then why post something misleading on the WAYWO thread at all when you could have just made a "vote for my idea" thread.

hehehe I guess I confuse easily :D
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No no... How dare you ask for logical things game artists have been wanting for... decades.

I personally want more them to waste their time on useless bloat like "puppet warp".

In case the sarcasm doesn't translate to text, I whole heartily support this and have for many many years. I hope this effort works and if it doesn't I hope we get an explanation as to why.

While they're at it, symmetry paint would be great and long overdue.
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    seth. wrote: »
    ok I'm a little confused here......

this was what caused the responses that you quoted in your OP, but it appears that the working on that you mention is just a post on an adobe wishlist and a screen mock-up.....am I missing something here? Its not the first time that I will have made an arse of myself on a forum but if this is the case then why post something misleading on the WAYWO thread at all when you could have just made a "vote for my idea" thread.

hehehe I guess I confuse easily :D

Pretty sure that's how everyone read it judging by the number of WANT responses
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    My better half mentioned that Illustrator has this already....its just a pain in the arse that it is illustrator cos whenever I try to use it I get pissed off that its not photoshop :D

http://www.madpattern.com/
  • lloyd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. It was just an image mockup but it got people talking, sorryIts looking good in the Adobe forum, we've got a employey keeping an eye on it and with people adding there views and why this would be a good thing, its giving them the ammunition to take this idea further!

Its a shame that the suggestions forum also includes Lightroom. without them we'd be on the first page of ideas!

So yeah. things are looking up as far as support for this goes. just need more comments and votes now.

Its also been cool to see peoples reaction to this and how other programs already have these features. so its not too far out of the unusual to ask for.
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know it's not a solution at all, but with the new photoshop 3d features wouldn't it be at least possible to just import an obj plane with 3 by 3 subdivisions all sharing the same UV space (1,1) and paint directly on that? I only have a very unupdated CS4 flying around somewhere with crappy performence but maybe this got better in CS5?

Same for Mirroring stuff (Plane with a 2by1 Subdivision and mirrored UV space)?
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I also posted about True Layer Instances, not smart objects, but he said it would cause too many perf issues :(
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    I would like a way to change the color of my cursor on the fly, because when having neutral colors in the middle of the dark and light area, the cursor is impossible to see. Normally the cursor change to white when its over black background, and the other way around. However when you get a grey background, the cursor try to stay grey as well, which isn't working well.
    Give us a way to quickly change the color of the cursor instead of dynamic brightness, to force it to have a certain color. Maybe so we can cycle from dynamic > black > white > red > blue > green > dynamic with a press on a button/shortcut.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Filter > Other > Offset is hard

trollface.jpg :)

would be nice to have a feature like this. id prefer Zbrush's method of hold-tilde and drag canvas in addition to tile painting, but maybe a script can be written for that.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZBrush is really nice for this. Being able to slide that canvas around by holding tilde really feels natural and a lot nicer workflow than constantly offsetting the Photoshop canvas.
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    I modified some script I found that offsets all layers, to offset by half the image dimensions in X and Y, and just set those to hotkeys, but the zBrush tilde method would be awesome.
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    You broke my heart lloyd :(
  • ikken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zoid wrote: »
    4) btw how long did it take to put in canvass rotation even though Painter had it in the 90's?

painter also has seamless texture painting (since very early versions, quite imperfect, but it's there), and painter 12 features mirror painting
    it's brush engine is different from PS and performance is lacking quite a lot tho :(
  • lloyd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital I'm sorry :(

ikken wrote: »
    painter also has seamless texture painting (since very early versions, quite imperfect, but it's there), and painter 12 features mirror painting
    it's brush engine is different from PS and performance is lacking quite a lot tho :(

Yeah its cool to see other apps have this, but it would also be nice if Photoshop could too.

I find painters brush tools to be really fun, it definitely feels like painting more, maybe its just the added bevel they have.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
  • ikken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lloyd wrote: »
    I find painters brush tools to be really fun, it definitely feels like painting more, maybe its just the added bevel they have.

I don't necessarily like all the painters brushes, but painter's brush response and way it works with wacoms (especially wacoms, I should say) is much more natural in comparison with PS. it also takes your stokes speed/velocity in consideration, supports multiple intuos pens, plus painters blending capabilities are very sweet (very quick as well)
    on the other hand, it's been a little bit like photoshops mentally challenged little sister for many versions already in terms of development, plus corel tend to break features and rarely fix them back at times, lol. it's less stable too.

sorry for derailing this thread a bit.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There is a paint-tiling feature in the 3D system. Not perfect, but definitely getting closer...
    http://forums.adobe.com/message/1645842#1645842

Edit... related video here.
    http://tv.adobe.com/watch/the-russell-brown-show/painting-3d-patterns/

Had a chance to try this out, in CS4 extended. It does work, though it's a bit weird.

1. Image Size = 300% (to counteract the 3D downsize)
    2. 3D menu... New Tiled Painting.
    3. Paint! Your strokes are auto-tiled.
    4. 3D menu... Rasterize.
    5. Canvas Size = original image size, like 1024x1024 or whatever.

Negatives: the 3D paint is a bit blurry (because it's a projection), so cloning for example looks blurry. Also it only works on one layer at a time. And the painting response time is a bit slow.

You can avoid the blurriness if you paint on a separate 3D layer, rasterize it, then Sharpen before you merge down.

Nonetheless, a cool tool to have in the toolbox. Glad I tried it out.
  • 3DKnight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DKnight polycounter lvl 17
  • UNCCheezy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UNCCheezy polycounter lvl 10
    The other morning while browsing, I came across this thread. Awesome sauce, an artist who knows exactly what they want. I really dig the drawing, it helps explain what you want the tool to do.

The bad news, as you already know is, it's not currently possible with scripting.

I called up a co-worker, Ryan Turney, and told him about the problem. While we came up with some solutions for similar problems we couldn't quite solve your specific one. We debated on learning the Photoshop SDK, but don't quite have the time. I believe it would be possible to do this with the SDK and Adobe should definitely make this happen as it's a general tool within other editors. (MapZone, Zbrush, Mudbox)

also remember, to post things of this(tools) nature on [URL="http://www.tech-artists.org]www.tech-artists.org[/URL]

Also, for those unfamiliar with the offset method mentioned earlier, this is probably the best thing you got.

http://www.photoshoptextures.com/texture-tutorials/seamless-textures.htm
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    UNCCheezy: Using the SDK Would be a valid approach yes, but I'm not sure you'll be able to do this with what they offer you in terms of plugin development.
    The SDK only allows you to write the following type of plugins (copied from the SDK docs).
    Automation Automation modules access all Photoshop scriptable events. These modules appear under the Automate menu or Help menus. These modules are documented in Automation Module and Photoshop Actions Event Guide.

Color Picker Color Picker modules provide a plug-in interface for implementation of different color picker’s in addition to Photoshop’s and the system’s color pickers. They appear whenever the user requests a unique or custom color (such as clicking on the foreground or background colors in the tools palette) and are selected in the Preferences... General dialog. These modules are documented in Color Picker Module and in Writing Color Picker Plug-ins.

Export Export modules output an existing image. Export modules can be used to print to Mac OS printers that do not have Chooser-level driver support, or to save images in unsupported or compressed file formats. These modules are accessed through the Export sub-menu. These modules are documented in Export Module, and in Writing Export Plug-ins.

Filter Filter modules modify a selected area of an existing image. These modules appear under the Filter menu. Filter modules are the plug-ins that the majority of Photoshop users are most familiar with. These modules are documented in Filter Module, and in Writing Filter Plug-ins.

Format Format modules, also called File Format and Image Format modules, provide support for reading and writing additional image formats. These appear in the format pop-up menu in the Open, Save As and Save a Copy dialogs. These modules are documented in Format Module, and in Writing Format Plug-ins.

Stack Renderer Stack Renderer modules operate on an image stack, defined as a Smart Object. These modules appear under the Layer > Image Stacks > Image Stack Rendering menu. These modules are documented in Stack Renderer Modules, and in Writing Stack Renderer Plug-ins..

Import Import modules open an image in a new window. Import modules can be used to interface to scanners or frame grabbers, read images in unsupported or compressed file formats, or to generate synthetic images. These modules are accessed through the Import sub-menu. These modules are documented in Import Modules and in Writing Import Plug-ins.

Measurement Measurement modules add items to measure. Measurement items can be configured from the Analysis > Select Data Points dialog. Measurements can be performed from the measurement log palette or the Analysis > Record Measurements menu item.

Selection Selection modules modify which pixels are chosen in an existing image and can return either path or pixel selections. These modules appear under the Selection menu. These modules are documented in Selection Module, and in Writing Selection Plug-ins..

3D There is five ways to extend functionality with 3D modules. All modules work through the 3D scene description. Modules have control over cameras (perspective and orthographic), lights (spot, point, directional, infinite), meshes (made up of Faces, each with Material), animation (keyframes, position, rotation, scale)

File Format - Read and write 3D files directly
    Modeler - Take a 3D scene modify it and return new scene
    Render - Take a 3D scene and flatten by sending back pixel data
    3D Generation from 2D - Take in pixel data and return a 3D scene
    Controller - Direct control of 3D state while in a 3D tool

I've only briefly glanced through the SDK as I wanted to know if I could do a mirror painting plug (which I think is possible when hacking your way into it using a Stack Renderer), but this type of feature would involve modifying the background. But if anyone more experienced with the Photoshop SDK could shed any light on this -> awesome. :)

All in favor for this feature as well though!
  • UNCCheezy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UNCCheezy polycounter lvl 10
    One thing we tried, but didn't finish is grabbing history states and preforming the mirrors on it. Not sure if it's enough to get the job done, but worth a shot.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the 3D system in Photoshop is the closest thing you'll get, since it supports most of the painting tools. Can do tiling/mirroring/etc. with UV offsets on a plane. Performance is kind of sucky, at least in the CS4 I have. Maybe it's better now?

I'll try to upload the quick Actions I made for it. The steps I posted before are bad workflow, messes up the other layers. Solved that though.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    you could always paint textures in 3dcoat on a plane mesh. usually what I do, although its brushes are a bit lacking compared to photoshop.. you can still save out the psd and go back between programs.