Home General Discussion

Mastering Unreal Technology

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
Greetings guys;

I know that there are now, video tutorials that thoroughly explain you how to work with UDK, but just to ask this question because I bought Volume 1 of "Introduction to level design with unreal engine 3," few years ago.

I want to know if this book is obsolete based on today's UDK version standards or its worth reading. Because I want to buy the other two volumes of this book after I am done with it.

EDIT: Any other idea besides, Polycount wiki, in regards to learning the UDK is also appreciated.

Thanks.

Replies

• System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    IIRC, Volume 2 was released but Volume 3 was abandoned due to UDK being released. As far as I know, the first 2 were based on the UE3 editor that came with most of the Epic games that were built on UE3, and although the engine is the same, I presume since the first two books were based on UE3, they didn't want to 'screw up the continuity' by releasing the third for UDK.

Still, it was a shame since the first two books were pretty good. Volume 2 is still relevant I think to UDK, but the offerings from Eat3D and Hourences, as well as the documentation on the UDN is far more comprehensive in my opinion.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, you wouldnt recommend anyone reading those 2 vols, but learn through eat 3d instead.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Newer stuff will always be better but the basic concepts should be the same. The buttons might not look the same or menu items might not be in the right place in UDK, but the ideas and information should be mostly applicable.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    The first two books are pretty reasonable, but they are becoming increasingly out of date. The first book is more useful to a UDK user than the latter.

I wrote part of the third book, it was a shame to never see it published - for the record we have finished the text long before UDK was even announced, but the publisher dragged their feet forever with it, and eventually canned it.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is, indeed a shame. I guess I'll look for the tutorials via PC wiki.

EDIT: I was going to say that, wouldnt publishing/outsourcing the third vol, be beneficial for those who would like to read it just for the sake of knowing what that book really covered? But anyways, I think I got my answer. To learn Game Engine besides OOGRE, one has to just learn them via online resources like, vid tutorials and all...

Thanks guys.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    The publisher owns the text, they can do what they like with it. You can find quite a lot of the text on the UDN.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ya I know that, I was just saying that working on something completely relevant to the stuff that you know people would blindly buy and love to read and not publishing it, just sounded like a huge waste of time and effort. My sincere Apologies for any offense.

Anyways, thanks. :)