Home General Discussion

Just Not Happening

I am really interested in modeling but I just can't get the grasp of it. I have watched many tutorials and such but I can't get the grasp of any of this 3d modeling stuff. I see in the previews section all of the stuff that you guys create. You guys make it look so easy but I can't even crate a simple crate. I just don't get it.

Help please?

Replies

• oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Do you do any other art?
  • NobleWulf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not really. I'm not that good at drawing. I just really want to get into modeling.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    NobleWulf wrote: »
    Not really. I'm not that good at drawing. I just really want to get into modeling.

Gotta learn to walk before you run.

Modeling is, quite literally, sculpting with a lot of technical tools between you and what you're trying to do.

Sculpting is in many ways more complicated than drawing.

You need to understand composition, silhouette, volume, proportion, and all kinds of other things before you can truly "run" with 3D art.

I am not pulling this all out of my ass. I made the same mistakes you did, I made them at 17, and nine years later I am finally (mostly) caught up.

I would strongly suggest you seek some basic traditional art instruction before expecting to grasp 3D modeling tools with any form of fluency. Some people can pull it off, but they are the exception.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Do you follow the tutorials?
    Might seam like a stupid questions, but I don't follow all the tutorials I watch because I can learn from them and apply it later.

But if you are just starting out you really need to follow the tutorial to learn something, and like everything else you need to practice and work to get better.

One more thing don't be scared to do something wrong, just make stuff you have plenty of time to worry about doing it the right way later.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Make a box. UV unwrap a box. Texture the box. Once you grasp that, move to something with more sides. and so on and so on.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    Sculpting is in many ways more complicated than drawing.
    Excuse me, but i disagree. Because in a GOOD drawing you should construct the forms based on perspective by hand, and it isnt calculated by software. And in many other aspects, drawing is a very complicated thing.
    But so far, for topic starter i can only advice initiate a more consistent learn process. Noblewolf, [ame=http://www.amazon.com/3ds-2011-Bible-Kelly-Murdock/dp/0470617772/ref=pd_sim_b_7]try this book[/ame], if you study 3dsmax. And after you've got a feeling that you need more grasp about composition or anatomy- 2d studies will go a lot easier.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    I am really interested in modeling but I just can't get the grasp of it. I have watched many tutorials and such but I can't get the grasp of any of this 3d modeling stuff. I see in the previews section all of the stuff that you guys create. You guys make it look so easy but I can't even crate a simple crate. I just don't get it.

Help please?

WATCHING tutorials isnt going to get you anywhere... follow along with them and do the pieces they are doing.
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Make a box. UV unwrap a box. Texture the box. Once you grasp that, move to something with more sides. and so on and so on.

+1

Start with some very simple props!! If you can't do a crate, then do as ErichWK says and just make a cube! And go through the workflow of unwrapping and texturing it.

A crate is not too much more complex. You just add wood planks (rectangles!) to the cube, and yes, this requires basic scaling, rotating, and moving, but if you are having a hard time with that, then really it is just a matter of getting used to. Of course the tools and interface are going to give you an awkward time at first, but hang with it and you'll get it.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    ErichWK wrote: »

Cant be any clearer than this post.

I should've started with this approach but since I already know how to make a corn flakes box because that tutorial used to be included in Maya's basic tutorials. I decided to move on and start making stuff that requires more attention to proportional details, or attention to details. I suck at it right now, but the thing is, I have decided to really achieve my goal and settled this 3d modeling and rendering as my first step to it so I am stuck learning this.

I do take breaks if I get frustrated over some 3d model. So do that.

Giving up is easy.

You know what? We should have atleast one professional personnel streaming live his work in progress from concept art - 3d modeling once a month. It is good for motivation as well as learning.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    Or even a rectangular cube that looks like a piece of wood, then clone that piece into however many you need for a crate. You can also scale the piece of wood and texture to do the sides.

Everyone here is right, start simple. Try doing the crate thing and post your results, people here would be more than happy to help you. Nightwalker is right, most modeling programs come with an intensive database of tutorials that guide you from A to Z.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Dude, it takes years. Study making things. Make things.

If you dont want to, do something else!
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I didn't draw before modeling. I'm sure it would have helped, and sculpting definitely would have, but in the end, it just takes alot of practice.

I've been doing 3D for 10 years now, and still learn new things all the time. It also helps to do different styles/types and not just hard surface or just vehicles. Which is alot of what I've done, but lately I've done alot more env work, and it's helped quite a bit.
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    conte wrote: »
    .... and it isnt calculated by software.

neither is sculpture, there is this brand new thing called clay, i hear that it can do some pretty cool things :)
  • NobleWulf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nitewalkr wrote: »
    Cant be any clearer than this post.

I should've started with this approach but since I already know how to make a corn flakes box because that tutorial used to be included in Maya's basic tutorials. I decided to move on and start making stuff that requires more attention to proportional details, or attention to details. I suck at it right now, but the thing is, I have decided to really achieve my goal and settled this 3d modeling and rendering as my first step to it so I am stuck learning this.

I do take breaks if I get frustrated over some 3d model. So do that.

Giving up is easy.

You know what? We should have atleast one professional personnel streaming live his work in progress from concept art - 3d modeling once a month. It is good for motivation as well as learning.

Thanks for the tips. I remember a while back I made this. It was supposed to be a spooky tree of some sorts.

bprrender.jpg
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the tips. I remember a while back I made this. It was supposed to be a spooky tree of some sorts.

bprrender.jpg

I was waiting for someone to post so I can post after your post, since I am PC's post-oholic.

This piece of yours is looking good so far. My suggestion to you is to reconstruct the lower sub divisions and keep sculpting it out using clay buildup, damian's Standard brush (dam - standard), move brush and trim dynamics.

You are looking for the subdivision level where you can smooth the mesh out decently and sculpt it as well.

Oh and be sure to reduce the brush intencity for all brushes. Except for move.

Good work! Looking forward to see the update :D

Do you have any scene in mind that goes with it or just a spooky tree.
  • Rai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15
    Nitewalkr wrote: »
    You are looking for the subdivision level where you can smooth the mesh out decently and sculpt it as well.

Pfft, real men use DynaMesh. :smokin:
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai wrote: »
    Pfft, real men use DynaMesh. :smokin:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCobNFbnPHQ&feature=channel_video_title"](part 1) old woman isz - YouTube[/ame]

Real man did this. I dont know why he stopped tho. =\

There are 2 polycounters I know of, who actually make base mesh thoroughly before jumping in to zbrush. But I guess it got very easy for us thanks to Zbrush 4R2 and Dynamesh.

The OP should watch this for motivation. :)
  • NobleWulf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Nightwalker for the tips. I'm not sure if i will continue the tree but I will look into it.