Home Technical Talk

Quick design related question

Hi all,

I´m commencing an environment in which I plan to have almost toon like/disney shaped assets, but i want to sculpt everything (not noisy stuff) like cracks in wood, and sculpt stone etc. But I´m not sure if a normal map would work well in this case, or if you are always better to have only hand painted textures when you work with toon shaped objects.

Does anybody know of this to work, are there any games that have done this?

The reason I ask is that I can't concept well, and I don't want to get far into a scene only to find it just doesn´t work/looks weird.

I hope this makes sense, I´d like to provide an example, but thats the problem, i dont have any!

Thanks!

Replies

• Comeback Kid
    i assume i made no sense :/ let me know if you don´t understand what im going on about so i can maybe try explain better :(
  • l.croxton
    I'll try and answer even though I maybe wrong :P.

You can use normal maps to give the impression of cracks in wood etc. I assume you know how normal maps work, if not I would look it up since I am probably not the best person to answer haha.

Normal maps wont effect how the scene looks in terms of style, it only works in giving the impression of hi-poly detail on a low poly surface. So brick walls in games will have normal maps and other maps (i cant remember the name) to give the impression the bricks stick out.

Yes games use normal maps, not all games obviously but alot do such as any major released games i.e Gears of War for example. However I don't think minecraft use's any so if you like that sort of style then maybe avoid using normal maps to keep the "flat" look.

Hopefully that helps, if not someone smarter will be along shortly to give you the correct answer :P