Home Technical Talk

BPR rendering issues

NessaPreviewrender.jpg

NessaBPRRender.jpg

For those of you that are familiar with rendering with zbrush, I am having an issue related to the BPR rendering system.

The top image is the preview image and the bottom image is the BPR render. I spent a long time playing with the shaders to give the skin of my model the look I wanted. However when I did a BPR render, it looks totally different and ruined everything that I liked about the first. The subtle bits of pink in the shadow, the specular highlights, the color, it all gets overexposed and washed out in the BPR render.

Does anyone know why this might be happening and how I might fix it? Thanks.

Replies

• cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    What do your material properties and BPR settings look like? Is there anywhere you could host the .zmt file for the material (and maybe a blank project for the render settings)?
  • 4leaf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sure thing! Give me a moment while I grab those things...
  • 4leaf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.mediafire.com/?83e6u3i34exz5rd

Here is the project file with the material selected and all of my render settings exactly as they were when I rendered it on the Faerie.

http://www.mediafire.com/?a76678b8vq7p3qs

This is the individual material

Thank you very much for your help!
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    The problem seems to stem from the Inactive Subtool Dimming, which lets you better identify the currently active subtool by darkening the rest. It may be the specific dim value itself (I find increasing it to 0.9 seems to show a result closer to final), or the dimming in general just may be interfering with zbrush being able to display the true blending of the two shaders you have going (which should actually look identical to what you're seeing with BPR; that's the true result of the material).

You can play with the dimming under Preferences: Edit, or you can turn on polypainting for all your subtools (the little paintbrush icon) to get rid of the dimming altogether and see the end result. I'd recommend the later so that you'll see the real result as you're adjusting the material settings.(You could even go as far to fill each subtool with the mrgb with the material/color combo).

Edit: I forgot about this last night and thought I should probably mention it incase you're really happy with the original result and don't want to spend time remixing. First, with the model looking how you like, export the document as a .psd, then use BPR. Under BPR: Render Pass you should see the various passes BPR just created, which you can then right-click to export. Export the mask, shadows, and whatever other passes you want; pretty much everything but shaded. You can combine these in photoshop with the original document you exported and they should all fit snuggly together, while letting you quickly adjust things like the strength and color of the shadow).

And you may want to make sure perspective is turned on before doing anything, just because.
  • 4leaf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you so much Cryid, that was actually part of the issue. the other thing that I did to correct the situation was make my wax settings the same as the wax preview settings.