Home General Discussion

Starting to get career for environment artist

After few decision these days, to choose between character or environments modeler. I choose to be environment modeler, since is more fun and i always wanted to create 3D worlds.

So, i am pretty familiar what programs to use, Max, Zbrush and UDK. Just i need to learn them, i am going to start learning Max from Digital tutors, if there are other tutorials tell me about it.

What should i expect for environment modeler? I see some guys use UDK for lighting and showing their final work, well i want to ask, why they use UDK for lighting, instead of max or maya?

I am only experienced in Photoshop, because i did a course for Graphic designer, but no want to change this to be environment modeler, because this is where my passion is.

Replies

• slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    They use UDK for lighting because you are expecting to know a game engine for most jobs. It doesnt have to be the engine that company is using, they just need to know you can navigate engines and have skills to use the tools.

It's far better to be able to show a level in a game engine than in max or maya. Looks better on your portfolio
  • Mane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cmon people, i need your advice.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Mane wrote: »
    Cmon people, i need your advice.

make some environment art! and read the threads on this forum about how others got into the industry
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    If this is your first time ever using these softwares (Max, UDK, ZB), I suggest you start with making a few props as opposed to a full environment or anything. Pick a pretty straightforward prop concept that you like, something from Google, or even something from real life like a household object. Start a thread with that first prop - that's when you'll start getting the advice! :)
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Remember there's other engines. And really, if you just want to practice 3d modeling and texturing for now, you could just stick with marmoset, has pretty much everything the majority of the game engines provide out there.