Home Technical Talk

importing static mesh with composite material into udk

this is driving me crazy and i would love some help...
i made a tree in 3ds max, and a made a composite material with the sublayer being the bark, and a top layer being moss, the moss layer has a mask.
bark and moss are both on map channel 1, whith the mask on map channel 2.
i have the correct UVW layout on map channel 1, and i made a new UVW layout on channel 2.

when i import this into UDK it seems that the map channel 2 layout is not imported with the model, and the moss mask layout is incorrect.

edit* To clarify my UVW workflow, i hit unwrap UVW, choose map channel 1, edit uvw layout, convert to edit poly. Click the model, unwrap UVW, choose map channel 2, reset map channel 2, edit and make new layout, convert to edit poly. Export ASE for udk

import to UDK, map channel 2 is incorrect.

Replies

• sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    what you are doing should work. A thing you could try is to leave the two UVW modifiers on there when you go to export.

You could also try importing individual map channels using OBJ. Or try FBX.

What do the broken UVs look like in UDK? UDK doesn't display UVs greater than 0-1 properly but they're still there.
  • Sharky85
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh hmmm, soo it basically looks like map channel 2 is on map channel 1 in udk, so the moss layer looks like it does in max before i reset the channel and edit the map. does that make sense? like udk is using the uv layout of map channel 1 for the moss mask, instead of using its unique layout in channel 2
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UDK starts identifying UV channels from channel 0. So channel 1 in Max will be channel 0 in UDK, 2 in Max will be 1 in UDK.