Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Cryo Monster Prison Cell

This is a cryogenic prison cell prop for a huge monster in a level I'm working on with my MOD group. I just wanted to get some feed back on the looks of it. Does it look menacing or creepy? I added the mop bucket for size definition. Thank for any comments!

Monster_Prison_Chamber_05.jpg

Replies

• Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    i guess with a proper climatic lighting and a good texture it could be creepy. right now, not much.

also:
    -those things on sides make me think of audio columns.
    -gears at the front look out of place, unless it's a logo. they don't seem to have any real purpose.
  • hottrod_x
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, this is exactly the type of feed back that I need. I will certainly take a different approach to the columns. As for the gears on the front, I added them because it looks so empty. Have any suggestions for what if anything should be there?? Thanks a million!
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, Id agree that to make it scary...largely depends on lighting and ambience.

I dig the wires though.

First thing that came to mind when I saw this was the JENOVA cells from final fantasy 7. I remember being creeped out as a kid when I saw them.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RAyvX8dzZU"]Jenova in the ShinRa Building - YouTube[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaV1oNYDAJg&feature=related"]Final Fantasy 7-Jenova - YouTube[/ame] (skip to around 7:50)
  • billredd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    billredd polycounter lvl 13
    looks really coolso far. lighting will create the mood you want, but consider moving and enlarging the window (if it is one) up to where the gears are and move the gears down to where the window is and add more purpose to the gears as they do seem useless at this point.

unless of course the window is for inspecting the monsters balls or penis length...lol
  • hottrod_x
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hers an update for the monster prison chamber. The window is lowered because it is the highth of an average human being, which is why the mop bucket is there to give the viewer some way to understand the size of this thing.
    Monster_Prison_Chamber_06.jpg

Monster_Prison_Chamber_07.jpg
  • dpaynter26
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpaynter26 polycounter lvl 11
    i like the mop and bucket
  • pinkbox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you should have the window span from where you have it now up to the top where the gears used to be.. otherwise you'd just be looking in at the monsters knees?
  • Santhem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pinkbox wrote: »
    you should have the window span from where you have it now up to the top where the gears used to be.. otherwise you'd just be looking in at the monsters knees?

I every much agree, i read over it quickly and thought "mechanical prop for level with monster". I didnt really see it was a monster cage.

So yeah, bigger window, add a small stairway so people can see that someone can go in there. Also, aside from the mop/bucket thing there isnt much sense of scale in there. I couldnt have told you it was so big without that. Get some smaller parts in there. like a computer/control panel on the side, scaled to human scale.

I really dig it so far though, especially those wires are nice.
  • hottrod_x
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, I'll make the changes and keep ya posted.
  • Devarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can the monster bend to see out the window? It is at shin level. Think about a more pleasurable frozen viewing experience.
  • billredd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    billredd polycounter lvl 13
    yeah i got the mop bucket for scale thing, but the window, even though it is the proper height for a human is not useful to the larger model unless you enlarge it. also are you doing a high poly for this? that would really help the kinks in the hoses and the handwheel and the sharp corners of the base...on the base, perhaps make it look like
    I-beams are framing it and add rivets for some interest.

i really do like the overall model though, it will look awesome with smoke pouring out and have that thing open...i think in game you know you would be in for some shit when that thing opens...lol...good job!
  • hottrod_x
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's the latest update on the Monster Cryo Prison. I added a walk way and tried to make the window bigger, but it just didn't work with the look. The story behind it's size (the window) is like a submarine's glass. Small and thick, as to keep what ever creature is inside in case it happens to thaw out. I did manage to raise it up some? But if I can't figure out a way to use the window in an aesthetically pleasing way, I may just delete it all together? Thanks for all the critiques so far!

Monster_Prison_Chamber_09.jpg

Monster_Prison_Chamber_10.jpg
  • pinkbox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    have a viewing platform that goes up to the monsters face height then put the window up higher and still keep it small
  • tonysladky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm a bit confused by the mechanical workings of everything. I'm guessing that's a big hinge on the front so it would open kinda like a clamshell, right? But then what's with the arms on the side? Are they meant as locks, because they don't really seem to line up in a way that would actually hold anything in place. I might consider making the hook part longer, or having it actually interlock with the slot on the giant screw. Also, those gear shapes on the lock seem to be purely aesthetic. I, personally, am not a big fan of gears that don't have any real function. If your goal was a kinda goofy version of Frankenstein's lab with a really cartoony steampunk aesthetic, the decorative gears could kinda fit, but it sounds like you want this to be a serious thing, so they're not really doing much for you.

What about smaller details, like rivets and panels? Is each of the sides of the clamshell one whole chunk of metal?
  • hottrod_x
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea, The idea is that if it did open it would open like a clam shell. I kinda took the whole look from a 50's style fridge. I plan on adding smaller details (rivets,bolts, damage, etc.) to it later when I have the final look down. The story goes that the military reanimates deceased cons from death row executions into mutated zombie killing machines for deployment to the battle field. Then they are frozen into giant blocks of low friction gel and stored in these containers for later use. The locks are to try and attempt to keep the creature secure should the system fail and they thaw out!. I've been toying with the idea of cutting slots in the screw parts of the locks to look more clamped down. The gear parts are suppose to lead the viewer to believe there are more inner working parts inside but most people that look at don't get that, I guess without the texturing to show crevices and holes where parts are going in. I may throw some quick textures on this to help the look until I get the model completed.