Home Technical Talk

Exporting targas in Photoshop

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
While playing with image modes in Photoshop CS5, I lost my ability to export a Targa in any mode but 8-bit. Now I have the ability to save as a Targa only when my PSD file is in 8-bit mode, but that destroys the image entirely.

Here are my normal maps:
tWN5E.jpg

As you can see, the 8-bit normal is unusable. It's not even a normal anymore. Despite restoring Photoshop settings, I cannot save as a Targa in any more but 8 bit. So my question, how do I go back to the option of saving the PSD out as a Targa prior to having the color mode destroyed?

Replies

• passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    which setting did you change?

in image>mode, make sure 8bit is ticked off and RGB.

and when you save targa save as 24bit for no alpha and 32bit if you got a alpha channel.

8bit refers to 8bit per channel in modes, so i think you just need to make sure it's at that and at rgb color
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
    passerby wrote: »
    which setting did you change?

in image>mode, make sure 8bit is ticked off and RGB.

and when you save targa save as 24bit for no alpha and 32bit if you got a alpha channel.

8bit refers to 8bit per channel in modes, so i think you just need to make sure it's at that and at rgb color

These are the settings I'm working with right now.
    wc8ds.jpg

If I change the bits/channel in either direction, it destroys the image but allows me to export in Targa. Pictured in the first post is what PSD looks like when displayed in 8 bit, but it is also what the file exports at 24 bit. I did not try 16 bit or 32 bit because it is neither grayscale or alpha.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    must be messed up somewhere else since to get colour in targa you need it on 8bit per channel.