Home Technical Talk

General Retopology question

I'm terribly sorry for posting an ignorant question such as this, but I really wanted the opinion of experienced modelers.

I'm essentially creating a model of a human figure that is to be used purely for illustrative purposes. Meaning, I'm not using this model for games, or even for animation.

I've sculpted this figure in Zbrush and it's 4 million + Polys, I want to take one of the lower subdivisions, export it, UV map it, and bake the high rez detail on it as a normal map, then proceed to texture and beautify it. I do plan on somehow rigging this (I actually don't know how to rig or pose a model) so I can pose it and put it on hand painted backgrounds, that way I can make posters and canvas prints out of my 3D character I've modeled...

Okay so... knowing what I am doing and how I am going about this, do I even need to Retopologize this model? When not working with a limited poly video game model, is there any reason to retop a Zbrush sculpture?

Thank you so much for your help. Polycount has been so nice to me and has been a life saver thus far.

Replies

• cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    When not working with a limited poly video game model, is there any reason to retop a Zbrush sculpture?

I personally find it easier to work with the features of a human face if it has a nice edgeflow to it. The bigger reason to consider retopology for illustration would be to maintain a consistent density. It can help with sculpting, but it'll also help make sure you're not wasting exponential amounts of polygons in areas that aren't benefiting from it. That may not even be a problem if you're happy with the model at 4 million though (zbrush can more than handle that amount even on old machines, and if you do wish to take it to an external program for baking, the decimation master plugin can hack it down to a lighter size).

Rigging would be something beneficial to dabble with if you ever do plan on making characters for games or animation, but if you want to stick purely with the illustration side you might want to look into using Transpose in zbrush, or the zspheres rig. Then you can quickly pose a model, do a quick pass to sculpt in any changes you might want to make for that pose (folds, muscles and skin stretching or bunching, etc), and render away.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Why not pose your model in ZB and sculpt the muscle deformation there and render it in ZB as well?
  • 4leaf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow! I had actually never considered posing and rendering in Zbrush... this actually sounds like a phenomenal idea for my purposes.

But I must ask, if I go this route, will it still be possible for me to beautify my model with various maps? Like texture maps for skin detail and such?

Or rather... Considering my lack of knowledge, maybe the better question would be, if I render in Zbrush, what would be the best way to go about further beautifying my model with skin detail and color and such...

thanks!
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Since you mentioned being on 3.5 earlier, you're probably going to want to get your zbrush upgraded if you go that route. Z4+ has introduced it's BPR rendering system, filters, shader mixing, lightcaps, backgrounds, and a bunch of other enhancements in the rendering area. Some videos at http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?161537-ZBrush-4R2-ZClassroom-Movies.-Update-3&p=895791&viewfull=1#post895791 should give you an example about what these things are, along with some of the beta threads that go into detail about how their result was achieved.

Generally for texture maps the only ones zbrush makes use of are the diffuse and displacement maps. And even then you're probably just better off sticking with raw polygons and polypaint if you're just aiming for a pretty render. Zbrush relies more on having the detail in the geometry itself along with the different materials/shaders blending together to create the kind of surface information that normally gets faked and baked.

One handy thing with BPR is that is also breaks down the render into passes, which can give you seperate images for things like AO, depth, SSS, and shadows incase you wanted to composite the result in another program.
  • 4leaf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I'm basically sold. Thank you so much for your help! I think what I am going to do is upgrade zbrush, Pose my model in Zbrush, then add in the surface detail with zbrush's poly painting. Then I'll do the final render using the new built in rendering system.

This sounds like a MUCH more sound alternative for my purposes. And it is also much more artist friendly, which gets a high score in my book.

Thanks once again! You have been a great help.
  • Crispy4004
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you want to "beautify" your model, do yourself the favor of passing on rendering in Zbrush. BPR is a snazzy pseudo solution. It's great if you want to spruce up your Zbrush preview renders, but I wouldn't recommend trying to take it any further.

Pixologic certainly keeps expanding on it, but ultimately you still have big shortcomings that fall on your shoulders, as the artist, to fix. It's certainly possible to still get decent results, but chances are you'll have to paint and composite your way out of lighting, shading, aliasing, and/or color space issues.
  • 4leaf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Honestly though, my purposes are purely for illustration. My time is better spent doing art, sculpting, painting, drawing ect... Pushing and pulling points in Maya/3DS isn't exactly my cup of tea nor is it something I want to waste 50% of my time on. Honestly, for my simplistic purposes and for my personal taste, I'm the type that's actually willing to go the extra mile to correct shortcomings if it means ultimately reducing the amount of time I spend on the non artistic technical headaches.

Either way I have both Maya 2012 and Zbrush 4R2 now. So I will try the new Zbrush I just upgraded to and see if it suits me at all.

But thank you Crispy4004 for your input! I will keep it in mind as I continue to explore and research my own personal workflow.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Zbrush R2 is more then capable of supporting it's own weight in rendering. Just because people don't make tutorials about it extensively, save for the Workshops at Pixo, doesn't mean it doesn't exist or that it's sub-par.
  • Crispy4004
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    Zbrush R2 is more then capable of supporting it's own weight in rendering. Just because people don't make tutorials about it extensively, save for the Workshops at Pixo, doesn't mean it doesn't exist or that it's sub-par.
    That's quite a stretch. The rendering tools in Zbrush, even in R2, are still far more inline with prototype work than suited for producing a quality final result. Don't get me wrong, it's awesome you can drop in a HDRI and some waxy SSS now, though in application they are still faked, but those additions hardly make it a suitable alternative when you consider the foundation it's built on. Speaking of people making BPR tutorials, Zeoyn sums it up pretty well in his response to crits of his Render. He's also right on the money with what BPR's strength is.

But take for instance Marco Menco's Beta Examples. Now look at his Vray results. You'd have to be a glutton for punishment to attempt matching those results with Zbrush BPR. I see nothing wrong with using it at say the pre-vis stage, think it's well suited there, but any further and you'll likely be wasting time fighting the pitfalls. After all, many of the most convincing examples still look distinctively like a product of Zbrush's rendering. People are naturally going to push it, but not because the results are worth it. It'll be either because they like the convinence of staying in Zbrush, view it as a challenge, or more realistically, want to get around learning the nuts and bolts of a more capable render engine.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Take for instance Marco Menco's Beta Examples. Now look at his Vray results. Take for instance Marco Menco's Beta Examples. Now look at his Vray results. You'd have to be a glutton for punishment to attempt matching those results with Zbrush BPR.

Marco modeled it, someone else textured and rendered it. It's entirely possible the latter was more familiar with rendering in Vray than Marco was at using features that were currently in the beta cycle of their life span? When you go through some of the other galleries (beta or existing), the results that can be achieved with a few passes are mind blowing and hard to tell how it was rendered unless they say so.

Perhaps the real problem is a matter of preference. If you want or need physically accurate lighting in a 3d scene, then yeah, render it somewhere else. If you just want a cool looking image of your model to composite, zbrush can more than deliver.
  • Crispy4004
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wasn't aware that someone else had textured and rendered it. Doesn't really change much, you'd still be crazy to attempt it in BPR.

Anyways, the aliasing, materials, and lighting inconsistencies are usually dead giveaways that something was rendered in Zbrush, that's absolutely still true of the beta images. If they get close it usually says a lot more about the artist's post skills than what BPR is capable of as a render solution. Passes in of themselves are not a surefire recipe for success. When your materials are not energy conserving, your reflections and glossiness are matcaps, your GI faked, your lights lack proper attenuation, and worst of all, your color space disregarded, they can only take you so far. It becomes an unnecessary balancing act to try to fix. Great exercise for your artistic eye, but not exactly practical.

I don't think it's a matter of preference so much as what makes more logical sense. Need to present a concept quickly? Use BPR, it's quite powerful for that. Want to get a high quality awesome render in less time and effort? Go with something else. BPR is just too limited and cuts too many corners to be considered a fully capable alternative.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah someone else rendered it, I remember Marco saying so at CGFeedback.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    He's planning on compositing a model over a hand-painted background, reflections are going to have to be faked one way or another. Light attenuation would probably be better served if he were lighting an actual scene?
    I don't think anyone is arguing that render engines like VRay or Mental ray aren't more advanced or more physically accurate, the issue is are such things needed to achieve the desired visual result. Because if he's piping his work over to another app in order to set up the camera, lights, materials, passes, and whatever optimization he needs to make to the 4mil mesh to get it over, and the result for all his time is just a few hairs difference, it might not make the most logical sense depending on what he is aiming to achieve.
  • Crispy4004
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It is far from a proper comparison, especialy given different arists worked on the results. But that's not my primary point here. It is the artist(s) switched to a better option for the final picture. Now why would they do that if BPR should be antiquate enough? The simple answer... it's just not. Why put the extra effort finessing a render that is inherently flawed?

You're not quite understanding my argument here. Matcaps, lightcaps, and everything else BPR cuts corners with, are not adequate alternatives to the real deal. BPR is absolutely phenomenal if you need quick mock-ups, but we are not talking a few hairs difference here. There is a massive gap in nearly every aspect of the rendering that stacks the odds against you with BPR. It's a completely detached method, in which many standard lighting, shading, and linear workflow relationships are broken. That's a very challenging environment to work with. Trying to fake your way to the same quality results is going to cost you more time in the long run, not save on it. It's called "Best Preview Render" for a reason. That's what it's good for.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    But that's not my primary point here. It is the artist(s) switched to a better option for the final picture...You're not quite understanding my argument here.

I get your argument, I just don't see why you insist on repeating so much as I've yet to suggest BPR is more superior to MentalRay/VRay/etc. I've even been agreeing with you for the most part. But what hasn't seemed to click yet is that the end goal is to achieve the final result that the artist wants for the image, which is something entirely up to the artist. Some artists might want the results that could only come from knowing how to use a fancy software renderer, some get the results they're looking for with photoshop and zbrush, others even like to use game engines/real-time shaders to get the look they want instead. It's up to the artist to decide what works for them. Yes, matcaps and the like cut corners over more physically accurate rendering solutions. You've said it, I've said it, you're still repeating it for some reason and probably will again at this rate. It doesn't change anything. BPR is still capable of phenomenal results, and if it happens to accomplish the desired goals of the artist in a time-efficient manner, then it's simply the logical choice for that situation.

The guy intends to handpaint a background too, should we warn him that photoshop's paintbrush doesn't have real GI either?
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Too much talking, not enough art!
    Just show your stuff here, you'll get more accurate advice.
  • Crispy4004
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think there is anything wrong with having a technical discussion about the pros and cons of the tools we use. It's part of the art process after all. If anything, it's a good thing to have a breath of opinions to go by when getting recommendations.

Look cryrid, you haven't suggested BPR is better just like I haven't suggested it cannot still be used to produce stunning art. I 100% agree good work ultimately comes down to the artist. After all, there are impressive examples out there with Max Scanline and Maya Software, despite some similar setbacks. Our disagreement here though is purely based on how practical BPR is as a rendering tool, not the merits of the artwork being created with it. With regard to game engines, someone could just as easily make a similar case for using Marmoset, Crytek, UDK, etc. over BPR to present game models, and not just because they're in game.

Last, comping a render with some hand painted backgrounds does not mean nothing is accurate so anything goes. You would still ideally want the best results to work off of. The only exception is if you are taking a diverging NPR approach like your Olivier Thill example.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Our disagreement here though is purely based on how practical BPR is as a rendering tool, not the merits of the artwork being created with it.

The guy wants to create an illustration using a model, there are a near infinite number of approaches to be had and it all comes back to artistic merits. The practical choice is always going to be the one that creates the result that the artist is looking for for that particular piece, you still don't seem to be getting that seeing how you think it is now marmoset vs bpr.
  • Crispy4004
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid wrote: »
    The guy wants to create an illustration using a model, there are a near infinite number of approaches to be had and it all comes back to artistic merits. The practical choice is always going to be the one that creates the result that the artist is looking for for that particular piece, you still don't seem to be getting that seeing how you think it is now marmoset vs bpr.
    I was never suggesting that he should use say Marmoset for an illustration. Just that, even being real-time, they still provide a better rendering environment to work with. In fact, if I was looking to get presentable results while cutting back on time spent rendering, doing it this way makes a whole lot more sense. There is just less working against you.

Again, the artist is free to use whatever tool he wants, but the situations where BPR is the best and even easiest choice for that final shot are quite limited. After all, one of 4leaf's concerns was Zbrush's lackluster support for maps. BPR just sort of sits in no-man's-land. It's almost a little surprising that Pixologic hasn't switched to rendering using real-time methods, given BPR is hitting closer to those results in more time.
  • 4leaf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm so sorry for reviving a few day old topic, but it's really interesting to see the arguments for and against rendering in Zbrush.

I would like to start off by stating the fact that my 3D skillset leaves much to be Desired. I know how to get around Maya on a sub-Professional level, and I know and have worked through the general pipelines for making video game models buffed with maps to make them look better.

My love is for traditional art. I've spent many days gesture drawing figures at a local art cafe, and working with traditional clay. When I'm working with Zbrush, It feels most like what I know and what I'm good at.

The second that I leave Zbrush with whatever I create in it, I have to spend hours re-topping, UV mapping, and doing things I absolutely despise in programs I hate with every fiber of my being. it's frustrating, it's tedious, and those aspects to modeling are aspects I hate. (As nessesary as they are for many fields, they simply aren't my cup of tea)

Zbrush's system of rendering is a cleaver way to fake the more powerful and realistic scenes that you can get from other programs... But frankly I don't want to have to deal with the aspects involved to get my 7 Million poly model over the those programs and out of Zbrush. (Btw... The only other program I own is Maya 2012... and god does 2012 suck ass...)

So yeah... call it stubbornness or whatever, I simply am willing to go many many many extra miles if it means staying in zbrush. It's just more convenient and preferable for me personally.

Also, my clientele aren't CEO level employees of large animation studios... They are niche groups of average people who wouldn't likely notice the differences in rendering.

Anyways, thanks for all of the advice, as it has helped me so much. If I ever do feel the need for more powerful and accurate results, I will be sure to drop my stigmas to go for the more powerful alternatives.
  • Crispy4004
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can think of Zbrush as a companion to Maya. Both can do amazing things the other is not capable of, they compliment each other. And yes, even for illustration purposes.

Many of your concerns here are actually not as big of a deal as you might think. Getting a better render inside of Maya isn't terribly difficult or time consuming, especially with Decimation Master, UV Master, and/or GtoZ making the transition easy from Zbrush, but the issue is of course you have to know what you're doing in Maya. Mental Ray can definitely be a bit overwhelming will take plenty of research, but the payoff is worth it.

To put it in a traditional art perspective, if plein air painting bores you to tears, you are likely are not going to have the drive to learn the intricacies of Mental Ray. Of course though, good rendering, like good plein air painting, is an absolutely killer skill to have. What I would do in your situation is go ahead and see what you can do with Zbrush, but dedicate some time to on the side to learning Mental Ray. I guarantee in time Zbrush BPR will actually become the more time consuming and frustrating process. Especially as you start exploring lighting and shading as a means of creative expression.
  • 4leaf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah maybe it would be good to pick up a thing or two more... I never learned to UV map with anything else other than Maya's raw built in UV mapping system, no plug ins or anything. It was terrible and not fun.. I saw someone accomplish in Modo in 5 minutes what I did in an hour with Maya.

And I have never actually used Decimation master. I have a little experience with Mental Ray rendering... I used it when I was using the "Making of Varga" tutorial to help me along... but honestly, I just followed the tutorial mindlessly, Mental ray was a scary scary endeavor.

In time I'll definitely look up more on Mental ray and such...

And I actually do enjoy Plein air Painting. Except when It rains on me...
  • Crispy4004
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    While laying out your UVs is always a good idea, it's not necessary here. You can use PUV tiles or UV Master in Zbrush to automatically create them. Of course, it probably won't be ideal in Photoshop, but if all you're doing is poly-painting, it doesn't really matter.

My workflow these days is to unwrap it with this, run it through UV Master in Zbrush using existing seams to further optomize, then do some final touchup back in Maya. Before I was using Headus UV layout, which is also a great application, but I found it a bit unstable on my machine and UV master seems to do a pretty good job optimizing.

Decimation Master is a great tool. It reduces the polycount while doing an excellent job of retaining the details. Perfect for bringing it into Maya for a render when the topology is not important.