Home Technical Talk

Tired of my ATI card. Need recommendations for an Nvidia card.

I'm tired of my ATI card not supporting anything and it's time to get a new card.

Basically, the card I want needs to do everything.

I need a card that will support Maya, Zbrush, UDK, etc, and handle current game titles on high, all of these... without problems.

Replies

• [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    I'm pretty sure you find better info on graphic cards on google rather than an Art forum. :)

Still, any NVidia GTX 4xx or 5xx will run everything and anything you need.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    I would say the GTX560(Ti) is a good choice(both with and without Ti) for almost everything and doesn´t cost too much in my opinion. I changed from ATI 4870 to Nvidia GTX560 and i´m more than happy with it.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    I recently got the GTX 570. Kickass card. Honestly, it was worth the extra 100$ over the 560 IMO.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    My GTX470 works fine. I wouldn't get a x60 or x20, make sure to get x70 up, like 470 or 570 or more. the 460 and 560 are way lower speed compared to the first ones.
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    SpeCter wrote: »
    I would say the GTX560(Ti) is a good choice(both with and without Ti) for almost everything and doesn´t cost too much in my opinion. I changed from ATI 4870 to Nvidia GTX560 and i´m more than happy with it.
    I recently got the GTX 570. Kickass card. Honestly, it was worth the extra 100$ over the 560 IMO.

Hold off a little longer on a 560ti! There is supposed to be a new 560 version soon, ( GF110 like 570/580 instead of GF114 )

This way you get that 570 ish performance so Nvidia can get rid of their 110 die's before Kepler makes them obsolete. And since Nvidia doesn't have any other new Mojo fer X-mas besides Lightboost and 3dvision2
    Unlike the GTX 560 Ti, which is based on a fully enabled GF114 die, the GTX 560 Ti (448 Core) will be based on the GF110 die. In essence, it is GTX 570 with 1 SM disabled, and likely underclocked. It features 14 active SMs, which indlude 448 SP / CUDA Cores and 56 TMUs; 320-bit memory and 40 ROPs - a very similar configuration to the old GTX 470. Along with increased performance, power consumption is expected to rise over the 384 SP GTX 560 Ti. A benefit to using GF110 means the revised 560 Ti will feature 2 x SLI connectors, enabling 3-way SLI. In terms of display outputs, DVI, HDMI and DisplayPort are included. Visually, the reference GTX 560 Ti ( 448 ) is expected to look identical to the reference GTX 570.

http://vr-zone.com/articles/nvidia-preparing-revised-gtx-560-ti/13805.html

http://hexus.net/tech/news/graphics/32339-nvidia-set-launch-new-retail-geforce-gtx-560-ti/

Or...
    Jes wait for q1 2012 fer Kepler...
    The cheaper Cards are being released first this time:
    ( Kepler replacement fer 560 anyway is next quarter! )
    http://www.tweaktown.com/news/20929/nvidia_currently_sampling_kepler_gk1xx_series_will_be_a_bottom_to_top_release/index.html
  • Nihlus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure you find better info on graphic cards on google rather than an Art forum. :)

Still, any NVidia GTX 4xx or 5xx will run everything and anything you need.

...I'd say I'm probably better off asking on an art forum :P

Seeing as this community is likely to know which cards are more supportive of both higher-end games, as well as 3D modeling software. Unfortunately, not all cards work well with the latter.

But thanks everyone! I will look into it :)
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    I recently bought a GTX570 which I'm satisfied with so far. Only really been pushing it with Rage yet... which is a sack of bugs/problems waiting to blow up in your face T_T
  • Danielmn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Danielmn polycounter lvl 14
    I concur with the 500 series recommendations

been running the gtx 560 for the past several months and its done very well in 3d max and after effects and photo shop.

and the cost was just 190, altough you can find the 570 for like 60-80 bucks
    and get about 5-10 percent better clock speed

also the IRAY system in 3d max work pretty well with the 560.

This is a good middle of the road card works well with modeling texture wise all the in view port features have actually work for me as advertise so I am very happy.
  • CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    (with my nvidia hat on) Wait for Kepler

(with salesman thinking) Wait for Kepler, means prices for Fermi will likely drop, too.

(with consumer thinking) Wait for Xmas, probably lowered prices to push as much out as possible

(with hats off) I got a 560 Ti and am quite happy, was the sanest choice power/budget wise for me (I like it when stuff doesn't suck too much power).
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Nvidia GTX480 here, great card, but it sounds like airliner as soon as I boot up the unreal editor. I have a 560Ti at work, and it seems faster and quieter.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    If you don't want to wait, the 560ti is a beast of a card. Runs Battlefield on high like a dream.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    560 will be much more efficient in all regards, as Monster said, the 400 and 300 series really do sound loud, especially when using software like UDK.