Home General Discussion

It is good to have Mac for 3D

I decide it to take a Mac for modeling,texturing and rendering.

My friend who work at game industry.told me to get Mac for 3D. and get rid of Window.

Why do u guys think to get decent Mac for modeling,texturing and rendering.

I am tired of getting every year upgrade for my Window.

What programs i can use for Mac, and what i can't

Replies

• xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    I don't have mac, but
    you can run maya , photoshop, and zbrush for mac.
    i think that's good enough to turn you into lv60 art wizard :)
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "For 3d" is too much too general.

The vast majority of video game studios use windows based computers.

Windows will run more 3d software, and generally have better support. Macs run some 3d software, but not as much.

Are there specific programs you want to use?

3dsmax for example, which is probably the number 1 most used 3d software in the video games industry doesn't run natively on Macs.

You can get a Mac and install windows on it, but that doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

I'm also not sure what you mean by "upgrade windows every year". I had XP for 8+ years and I'll probably use Win7 for 5 years min....
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    All I know is the last time I used maya on mac it was garbage (Maybe its improved from a few years ago.)
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    "For 3d" is too much too general.

The vast majority of video game studios use windows based computers.

Windows will run more 3d software, and generally have better support. Macs run some 3d software, but not as much.

Are there specific programs you want to use?

3dsmax for example, which is probably the number 1 most used 3d software in the video games industry doesn't run natively on Macs.

You can get a Mac and install windows on it, but that doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

I'm also not sure what you mean by "upgrade windows every year". I had XP for 8+ years and I'll probably use Win7 for 5 years min....

I agree, there's no reason to go Mac unless you have specific needs that Windows doesn't provide. You're going to end up paying more money for hardware that you can get in the same level of performance as Windows/*nix based system. If you go Mac it should be because you like their OS and aesthetic design. Those are about the only reasons I could justify going that route. Mac vs. Windows is like VW vs. Mercedes.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    And doesn't Apple update their OS just as much/more than Microsoft ?
    Also since when are updates a bad thing lol ?
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Man... there's always someone that has to turn any thread mentioning a mac to a mac vs. windows debate. Why can't someone just ask a simple question in a mac thread without someone comparing it to windows?

To answer the question, you can get pretty much any work done on a mac. The only thing missing is 3dsmax, so keep that in mind. Most other stuff, Maya, Modo, zBrush, Mudbox, Photoshop, Painter, Blender, etc etc, all have OSX versions. They're pretty much on par. Again, not including 3dsmax.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    If your already a windows user then personally id say stick with it. Windows has a wider range of apps and tends to be cheaper. Also as a user of both OSX and windows myself I can think of no concrete advantage that OSX offers over windows for 3D related tasks. add to this that the hardware is now all Intel based so you can get the same parts put in a PC case for less money.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i'm sure when he said 'I am tired of getting every year upgrade for my Window.' he means upgrading the components like videocards and such.

That being said, upgrading a pc is much easier and cheaper than macs. Most of the time you'll just have to buy a whole new mac to get the latest hardware.

If you're pc needs a new video card, just go to the store and buy one.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    There's a big anti-mac streak in the game industry - I may be wrong but I do think Pixar is a mac company... but they are wizards who build alot of their own software.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn wrote: »
    Man... there's always someone that has to turn any thread mentioning a mac to a mac vs. windows debate. Why can't someone just ask a simple question in a mac thread without someone comparing it to windows?

To answer the question, you can get pretty much any work done on a mac. The only thing missing is 3dsmax, so keep that in mind. Most other stuff, Maya, Modo, zBrush, Mudbox, Photoshop, Painter, Blender, etc etc, all have OSX versions. They're pretty much on par. Again, not including 3dsmax.

Always some guy who thinks it is sacrilegious to talk about the merits of a Mac vs a PC in a thread discussing the merits of a Mac vs a PC. I mean, the OP wants to know how a Mac would compare to his PC, isn't that the whole point of the thread?

How do you not compare it to Windows, what should we compare it to, a dead badger? Certainly, most Macs will do well when compared to the wiley dead badger. Linux? - that's even worse than comparing it to a dead badger.

Anyway, here is a fairly big one: UDK doesn't run on mac. Infact, most games, game engines and proprietary development tools, do not run on mac. Sure there are game engines that do, but I think this is pretty major to someone wanting to do work in the games industry.

Again it really comes down to exactly what he wants to do, if he wants to use Maya to model and important his meshes into Unity, its not a problem. If he wants to use game industry standards like 3ds Max(not that maya isn't) and UDK, its more of an issue.

On the other hand, you have platforms like IOS where you NEED a mac to do any sort of development.
  • jtravers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I learned Maya on mac prior to them switching the processors to intel. It was fine. It probably is still fine. All that I needed was a three button usb mouse and all was good.

As previously stated, maya, the adobe suite of products, zbrush, all work on macs.

It all depends on what programs you are deciding to learn or use.
  • r_fletch_r
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Most game engines such as the udk only run in windows. But if you want to publish an iphone game, you can only do that with a mac.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    I was under the impression that Macs only provide the ability to move pctures from one folder to another with style?
  • jmt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmt
    Mane wrote: »

I would go with mac, I mean, one year I had to get double paned glass, the next I added a new sill, the year after that I replaced the frame and this year I had to get a flower box. Don't even get me started on the cost of blinds.

Seriously, though, Windows is pretty much the industry standard.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As others have stated from a game artist's perspective, the only worthwhile reason to get a Mac is to be able to publish to Apple's app store. Unless you fancy yourself as a indie developer targeting iOS and a artist then there's no reason to do that.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The OS may be stable, but a lot of times apps are less stable and have weirder bugs in osx, it took a long time before maya and zbrush worked properly from what I remember.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    switched a few years ago to mac when i got a macbook pro, now i have a mac pro and have had zero problems doing game art, there is usually a ton of misinformation in the mac/pc threds based mostly on the fact people want to comment about a platform they dont use everyday. most mac users dont use windows, most windows users dont use mac, this leads to pc guys saying silly stuff like you cant upgrade hardware in a mac ( this is 100% false) just got a new video card a few weeks ago. if you goto the nvidia site and pick any card, under os you will see OSX, the past few versions. another false mac complaint is that you dont have low level access to anything, well you can pull up a unix terminal and do anything you want. mac guys say equally silly things about windows, mostly about stability,security, macs cant get a virus, and crappy design and its all pretty much hogwash.

i have a mac wit 2X 6-Core Xeon, so 12 cores, and 16 gigs of ram, but there is room to upgrade to 64 gigs of ram, so thats a whole lot of upgrade potential and i have a feeling i will not need a new computer for good while. upgrading a mac is pretty easy too because there is no internal wires or screws, so everything is plug and play, you need no tools to upgrade anything http://www.apple.com/macpro/design.html#expansion

also statments like "such and such application dosent run on mac"
    every application runs on mac, you can put windows on it, and with vmware you can run windows and mac osx at the same time so i can run windows version of 3ds max, and have a window of osx photoshop open at the same time working in both if i want to.

but i do totally understand the price perspective, macs cost a bit more, but i write off tech on my taxes so in all honestly i only really paid about half price for the machine and thats not too bad.
    i dont like the mac mouse or keyboard, but luckily you can just plug in any windows mouse or keyboard and it works fine. so its really up to you, pick something that you want to use, read non biased reviews, talk to people that use both not just one or the other, the more you know about each OS the easier it is to sort out all the bullshit.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    You can't use the XBOX sdk on a mac. You can't use the PS3 SDK on a mac.

that said: I own both!
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you can use the xbox sdk on a mac, because an xbox is just an old power pc mac i think a G5, the first devkits for xbox were macs. and i work at sony and use a mac at work.

i dont think you can compile on osx, but thats not really something someone looking for a 3d art machine would have to do.

Mac is a computer, a piece of harware, OSX is an operating system a piece of software, the two are not mutually exclusive, just because osx comes with mac does not mean you are incapable of running windows on it. the same goes for a PC, you can make a pc run OSX.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    I think the op is talking about OS X though when he compares a "mac" with windows.

I would recommend Windows though. There's just more software available - especially many of those small but cool plugins and workflow tools are missing on OS X. Plus almost everyone else in the industry uses Windows and they're usually assuming you're using Windows too. Although I see more and more Maya plugins with OS X compiles, the number is still low.
    Also many Mac 3D apps seem to be a bit less stable or a bit behind in version numbers than their Windows counterpart. I guess because the main clientele of those apps are just studios running Windows.

Now the thing is, you can run Windows on a Mac... But if you stay with windows for 99% of the time, getting a mac is a waste unless you want to look hip or something.
    And while VirtualBox / Parallels is an option to run Windows only programs in a Mac, I personally find it a hassle. Its a crutch - another step to complicate things. And on top, you're still dealing with what you want to avoid - Windows!
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    its not really a hassle to run both at all, its not like i have to close out of osx to run a windows app. My start menu is just there and i run something, and i also dont see why you would ever feel you have to "avoid" windows or osx. i dont see why people have to have this fan boy affiliation with technology, its as pathetic as people crying about the one console they own. i like video games, so i have all 3 consoles, its not a hassle to have to play a ps3 game instead of 360 game, i just play what i want. i also like computers and dont feel like i need to pick one or the other, somethings i like to do on windows, somethings i like to do on osx.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @arshlevon:

Just curious, you mention using 3DSMax with vmware. Does it work well?

I was under the impression vmware (and other virtualization software) had a hard time dealing with apps that require 3d hardware support.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    I decide it to take a Mac for modeling,texturing and rendering.
    Well, you kinda answered you own question here, when you already decided something, why ask anyway?
    My friend who work at game industry.told me to get Mac for 3D. and get rid of Window.
    It's clear from the very distant nature of the sentence structure, coupled with the above sentence that this 'friend' doesn't exist, it's you starting a thread with a buffer zone.
    Why do u guys think to get decent Mac for modeling,texturing and rendering.
    I'm going to assume you're asking if you 'should' be getting a Mac? To which the answer is no. Just get an IPhone-type product if you plan on creating assets for said platform, engines like UDK allow such things to happen.
    I think you meant to say Apple there, because those guys put out more stuff in the span of six months, then a triple cunted hooker could put out to the entire army in the span of 60 years.
    What programs i can use for Mac, and what i can't.
    Listen, lets be frank, the programs we use, while functional, are barely level head when it comes to stability, and the ones that do have Mac support, are a fecking joke. ZBrush, which kinda became a standard at many companies still doesn't work properly on Mac, and 3DS Max doesn't even support it.

So I suggest you go and work at Pixar since those guys use Mac, but the trade-off is they create their own extensive toolkit and pipelines, so you'll have to learn alot of the stuff on location.

So deal? I have to deal with one less hipster who wants to model a transformer without even trying, and you, in turn, have to deal with one less cunt like me.
    Bigjohn wrote: »

I would agree with you, if it wasn't for the snarky nature of the original post. Saying stuff like "PC updates every-year" really rubs many people the wrong way, since last I checked, the only "PC's" which require a constant update in both hardware and software without options to digress in builds or allow hybrid changes are Laptops.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    @arshlevon the point he was making was the VM for windows comes at a performance hit expeciailly when 3d acceleration is needed, and isn't fully integrated cant just drag stuff in and out unless you got access to the VM disk image mounted on osx using samba or nfs.

just more hassle than it is worth best off to just choose the OS that does the most of what you need, and run it native and not bother fucking about with VM's and shit.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    arshlevon wrote: »
    its not really a hassle to run both at all, its not like i have to close out of osx to run a windows app. My start menu is just there and i run something, and i also dont see why you would ever feel you have to "avoid" windows or osx. i dont see why people have to have this fan boy affiliation with technology, its as pathetic as people crying about the one console they own. i like video games, so i have all 3 consoles, its not a hassle to have to play a ps3 game instead of 360 game, i just play what i want. i also like computers and dont feel like i need to pick one or the other, somethings i like to do on windows, somethings i like to do on osx.

This has nothing to do with fan-boy-ism.

It's about being practical.

Why have the hassle of running two OSes?
    You have to purchase updates for OS X AND pay for a Windows license.
    You have to administer OS X AND Windows.
    You have to keep the VM updated and might even have to pay for it.
    Half your software is then on OS X and Windows if you don't plan your purchases properly (great for migrating to new machines or environments! *cough*).
    You have a performace hit in your VM and other restrictions.
    You have to learn both systems (not a bad thing, but still more work than focusing on one).

Where's the advantage when you still have to deal with Windows - is it the more streamlined UI on the OS X side? I just fail to see how this is very practical. Eliminating either OS X or Windows or any other redundant software in your pipeline seems to be more efficient to me.

If you want a workhorse computer, stay native with your software. keep the setup simple and easily maintainable.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Short answer:

Yes it is good to have a Mac for 3D.

The point of 3D is not to learn programs.
    It's to become a good artist.

Max users are not better artists than Maya users simply on virtue of them using Max. Once you know one, it will take you under a week to learn the other.

Just like an artist that uses a PC is not better artist by virtue of them using a PC.

Everything you want to do in 3D can be done in Maya anyways.

I'm a PC user btw.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    Apple Derangement Syndrome strikes again.

They're not particularly superior computers. Not bad computers, but not particularly superior. And definitely not worth the hassle of completely changing platforms just for some perceived advantage that isn't really there.
  • VPrime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VPrime polycounter lvl 9
    I am a solely mac user now... Run my windows apps in VMware or parallels with almost no issues (until you get to really high poly counts)

If you have been using windows all your life and require a computer daily for work.. Don't switch to a mac now. It will slow down your workflow as you have to learn a complete new way of doing things.
    If you have time to spare to relearn a new operating system with out if affecting your work.. Then sure why not.

Mac VS windows is personal preference. I used windows for 15 years and mac for just the past 3 or 4. I can accomplish tasks in OSX much faster than I can in windows. This may not be the same for you, and that is why I don't recommend trying to switch in the middle of work or a project.
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum polycounter lvl 9
    Don't mean to sound like a dick but I'm trying to understand how anybody can actually accomplish task much faster on OSX.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -there are some applications i want use on windows, there are some i want to use on osx, this is 100% impossible to do by only using one.

-if you build your own pc you have to pay for a windows licese anyway, OS X comes with a mac, and the updates are pretty cheap. and if price is an issue, just use linux its free.

- how is this an issue? how much time do you spend administrating?

-so if you just pick one os you dont have to update it?

Half your software is then on OS X and Windows if you don't plan your purchases properly (great for migrating to new machines or environments! *cough*).
    -thats the point of having both, so i can run programs the other dosent.

-not sure of the restrictions, but i notice no preformance problems at all, i have 12 cores, 6 for each os, i can give memory to each os as well, with 16 gigs there is plenty to go around. 3d works fine and even with the older versions of VMware you can add 3 simple lines to a configuration file to fix 3d problems and enable 3d acceleration,

mks.enable3d = TRUE
    svga.vramSize = however much video memory you want
    vmmouse.present = FALSE

You have to learn both systems (not a bad thing, but still more work than focusing on one).
    - not really much to learn, one os has a "start menu", the other has a "dock".
    one has a "recyle bin" in the upper left, the other has a "trash" in the lower right.

Where's the advantage when you still have to deal with Windows - is it the more streamlined UI on the OS X side? I just fail to see how this is very practical. Eliminating either OS X or Windows or any other redundant software in your pipeline seems to be more efficient to me.
    - its not redundant if there is software on one platform that is not available on the other.

i am not saying anyone has to use both, but to say one is superior, or only using one is superior seems silly to me. how can only being able to run a percentage of software be superior to being able to run any software? and thats why to me it is fanboy-ism, how can only being able to play a small precentage of games be better than playing anygame you want? and how can someone who only plays games on one platform say the games on the other one are all a waste of time or money? i dont feel i need to keep going on about this, try both, pick one you like, i like things about both, i use both, i dont see why i need to justify that.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @arshlevon:

Thanks for the VMware tips. I'll have to give it a try sometime.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    -there are some applications i want use on windows, there are some i want to use on osx, this is 100% impossible to do by only using one.

While this is true, if we strictly look at use for 3D, more software available for Windows. This starts from programming IDEs and ends with Maya and 3ds Max plugins.
    -if you build your own pc you have to pay for a windows licese anyway, OS X comes with a mac, and the updates are pretty cheap. and if price is an issue, just use linux its free.

If you stay OS X only you do not have to pay for a Windows License. If you stay Windows you do not have to purchase OS X. (or a VM on top). Not mixing OSes is the cheaper option.
    - how is this an issue? how much time do you spend administrating?

Maintain 2 software repositories, have separate licenses, do the same admin tasks (e.g. automated backups) on 2 different systems, etc. Ask any IT guy what they think is more work - a homogenous environment or a mixed one.
    -so if you just pick one os you dont have to update it?

Exactly my point. You were the one who argued against my "OS X only" / "Windows only" point.
    -thats the point of having both, so i can run programs the other dosent.

There's more 3D related software available for Windows. I know of OS X users who want (or have to) use a VM to run Windows (for UDK, learning Max, etc), but the opposite is quite rare when it comes to 3D.
    -not sure of the restrictions, but i notice no preformance problems at all, i have 12 cores, 6 for each os, i can give memory to each os as well, with 16 gigs there is plenty to go around. 3d works fine and even with the older versions of VMware you can add 3 simple lines to a configuration file to fix 3d problems and enable 3d acceleration,

ah right, because we all have 16 gigs in our macs... should I insert a *rolls eyes* smiley here?

- its not redundant if there is software on one platform that is not available on the other.

True. Then it's probably best if OP looks at his software requirements. If there's more software on the list for OS X, go OS X, otherwise go Windows (or Linux?). Point is, if you can run it natively, run it natively.

So on a Windows machine you download the 3ds Max trial and run it. On OS X you need to get a VM, a Windows license. Now staying strictly on the 3D topic, the amount of "OS X only" 3D software which is used in 3D production is still much less than the amount of "Windows only" software. But if more software on your shopping list is OS X, hell yeah, go OS X!

Oh and if it makes you rest easier - I own 2 macs - although I cannot afford a setup like yours. I'm the last thing to a fanboy and I feel quite stupid or arguing common sense here - but if the majority of your software is made for <insert OS> why not run it on that OS? I *COULD* go via parallels (I own a license) but it's still more hassle than just running UDK, 3ds Max, Marmoset & co on Windows.

It's like those linux nerds who write page long threads to run certain programs in Wine when they could just run them with a few clicks in Windows, all for the sake to just stay in linux. But then again, maybe you're the fanboy - ever thought of that?
  • VPrime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VPrime polycounter lvl 9
    Snacuum wrote: »
    Don't mean to sound like a dick but I'm trying to understand how anybody can actually accomplish task much faster on OSX.

Personal preference...... I find multi tasking and window handling is much better in OSX. I can switch between multiple apps and windows much faster than I would in windows.
    I just feel the overall flow of the OS makes more sense and I am faster with it.
  • DEElekgolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    VPrime wrote: »
    Personal preference...... I find multi tasking and window handling is much better in OSX. I can switch between multiple apps and windows much faster than I would in windows.
    I just feel the overall flow of the OS makes more sense and I am faster with it.
    alt+tab
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    In reality it doesn't make much of a difference on a bigger scale though, it's mostly personal preference, like preferring a specific 3d app.

edit: oh my god, I used the term "app"
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @arshlevon

Aside from very specialized software and many games, there are plenty alternatives to software made only for one OS. If there's an application that is only developed for OSX, it can be certain that someone has developed or will develop an equitable alternative for the unsupported platforms. Honestly I think software should move beyond this platform dependency because it's really just a marketing tool to get people to buy into certain products and services.

There should be a unified API that allows all software to run on any platform without the need to multi-boot, use VMware, or buy multiple hardware platforms in order to access the complete library of software. Any person should be able to run any application on any operating system without giving one thought to whether or not it will be compatible. We shouldn't have to be debating which OS or OSes we should be using to get the most software options.

The whole thing is just a set-up to create problems, incompatibilities, and limitations in order to generate profit. If you can't get what you want with one, you have to buy more to do so. Technology inherently solves problems, but the profit motive must inherently create problems in order to have something to sell that will solve the problem it created. They even compete against their old "solutions" by creating compatibility issues because they want to sell you their new "solutions". It's the profit motive that holds back the progress of technology.

Without the profit motive mucking things up, everyone would be free to use whatever software they want on whatever hardware they want to use and they can do this because it will be built with ease of compatibility rather than forced incompatibility that creates disparity between platforms. The only reason I should be unable to use certain software on a particular hardware platform is because it doesn't possess the capacity to do the work the software requires. Software is just a language that machines speak. Teach them all to speak the same language and the only limitation is their ability to participate in the conversation at the same pace as every other machine, many minds speaking the same language with varying levels of work capacity.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Greevar, your post is that of conspiracy theories...

There are plenty of libraries for cross-development over different platforms, but the issues are larger than that, even with applications coded in java that should theoretically run without problems on every platform, you'll encounter issues with, and you'll have to ask yourself if it is worth supporting every platform.

And then there are different standards, ways to distribute software, and entirely different OS-layers of complexity for the different platforms, which will never be fully agreed on as they all have good points, even when windows, mac and most linux installations run on identical hardware.
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld wrote: »
    Greevar, your post is that of conspiracy theories...

There are plenty of libraries for cross-development over different platforms, but the issues are larger than that, even with applications coded in java that should theoretically run without problems on every platform, you'll encounter issues with, and you'll have to ask yourself if it is worth supporting every platform.

And then there are different standards and ways to distribute software for the different platforms, which will never be fully agreed on as they all have good points, even when windows, mac and most linux installations run on identical hardware.

That's because the software business is competitive, not collaborative. By making things compatible, they're making it easier for the consumer to choose someone else. Each software developer wants their package to be the standard, the ultimate solution, so everyone uses it to get their work done because it generates demand and thus increases profit. It's not a conspiracy at all, it's just the way profit motivates people to act in their own interest above all others. How do you get people to give you their money? You do it by making them dependent on, or restricted them to, what you provide. End of story.

The core tool for making profit since its conception is to take something that is abundant, put boundaries around it, and charge people access to it. Mac OS only works on Mac hardware because they want you to buy it from them. If it was cross-compatible, it would be harder to justify to them that they should buy Mac hardware. The same goes for Windows, but they gave up hardware limitations for API limitations. For example, Windows is the primary choice for playing PC-based games. Mac and Linux options are slim because Microsoft new that if they made their software necessary for doing things that people want to do, they would have to buy MS software.
  • Urkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You could go both ways, but from what I've read its more secure for the gaming industry to buy a machine with Windows.

I'd like to point out I work and study in "Motion Graphics" (Animation, Concept & Art, Video, New Media, User Experience), so I don't have to worry about certain engines or codes etc. I bought my new Macbook Pro 0'11 a while ago. My experiences with Maya, Zbrush, C4D, Adobe Suite are very stable and a pleasure to work with. I've always used Windows with 3ds Max prior to buying the Macbook. I'd say both are excellent machines. It all depends on your budget really.

Some of the reasons why I bought a Macbook.
    • Excelent colors, no issues with screens.
    • Easier and better user experience (for me). There are quite a few apps and things that help me with my productivity.
    • Great for presentations, intakes and job interviews. (even when I work on a PC at home)
    • The uni-body Macbook build quality is clean and impressive.

P.S: Bootcamp is to much hassle for me to keep using 3ds Max. I switched to Maya.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    greevar wrote: »
    It's not a conspiracy at all, it's just the way profit motivates people to act in their own interest above all others. How do you get people to give you their money? You do it by making them dependent on, or restricted them to, what you provide. End of story.

Linux is not driven by profit, so why was not Linux adapted to Microsoft's own standards so that windows applications can be run natively on Linux distributions, ask yourself that.
    because Microsoft new that if they made their software necessary for doing things that people want to do, they would have to buy MS software.

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products

And you know, the crazy idea that Apple would even let you install windows on their hardware, and even give you the tools and support to do it.
  • Mane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you guys for the replay.

I am sorry that i didn't tell you for what i am going to use Mac.

I just want use Maya, Zbrush Adobe CS5, XSI, uvlayout Pro,TopoGun,XNormal for createing 3D art.

I have no idea for unitu and UDK, what are these for?
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    very simply put, Unity and UDK are engines / editors that allow you to make your own games and mods. They're widely used in the industry (especially UDK aka Unreal). Many people also use UDK to present their models.

Unity is available for OS X. Google around - see what those Engines do and what people do with them. This should give you an idea if this is something that interest you or not.
  • VPrime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VPrime polycounter lvl 9
    DEElekgolo wrote: »
    alt+tab

If you have ever used Expose you would know that you can never go back to an "alt+tab" system (which still exists in osx).. :poly142:
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum polycounter lvl 9
    VPrime wrote: »
    If you have ever used Expose you would know that you can never go back to an "alt+tab" system (which still exists in osx).. :poly142:

Interesting, I'll have to check that out. We have macs at my uni and when I try to get work done on them I feel like I'm crawling through molasses.
    Great for presentations, intakes and job interviews.

Whhhaaaaaaaaaat?
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld wrote: »
    Linux is not driven by profit, so why was not Linux adapted to Microsoft's own standards so that windows applications can be run natively on Linux distributions, ask yourself that.

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products

And you know, the crazy idea that Apple would even let you install windows on their hardware, and even give you the tools and support to do it.

Linux is a threat to Windows and MS has investment stakes in Apple. If they offered software for Linux, they'd be poaching their own operating system which constitutes a lot of their revenue. If you didn't already know, it has long been Bill Gates' goal to have "a computer in every home running Microsoft software". Linux is antithetical to that goal. So no, you haven't found a flaw in my argument.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    Linux is a threat to Windows and MS has investment stakes in Apple. If they offered software for Linux, they'd be poaching their own operating system which constitutes a lot of their revenue. If you didn't already know, it has long been Bill Gates' goal to have "a computer in every home running Microsoft software". Linux is antithetical to that goal. So no, you haven't found a flaw in my argument.

dont know what universe your in but linux is not a threat to either OS X or windows, when it comes to desktop usage, only a threat with servers.

besides things dont even work how you explained within linux, let me see, GTK vs QT, Gnome Vs KDE, .DEB vs .RPM and the list goes on.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Thank you guys for the replay.

I am sorry that i didn't tell you for what i am going to use Mac.

I just want use Maya, Zbrush Adobe CS5, XSI, uvlayout Pro,TopoGun,XNormal for createing 3D art.

I have no idea for unitu and UDK, what are these for?

How old is your current pc?

If you bought it recently it most likely is a waste, if your pc is ancient and due for a complete replacement, then it might be a good point getting a mac, if you're really aware of what you're doing, with the full knowledge that a mac will not give you a upper hand compared to if you had owned a pc, and OS updates will be just as frequent or more frequent than having to update windows.

The games industry is vastly dominated by windows pc's, not because it hates mac, but just because games are nearly always developed for consoles and pc, with most tools being built for them, external and internal.

A mac is however required if you're going to be into ios development.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Profit drives industry.

Whaaaaatttt???? Astounding!