Home General Discussion

The Walking Dead SPOILER THREAD

ngon master
Offline / Send Message
almighty_gir ngon master
since the last thread has pretty much become a font for black lines, how about we have a thread that doesn't need spoiler tags, and is an open discussion for anyone who wants to talk about the series (tv and comic) without having to worry about hurting peoples fragile minds?

Replies

• wasker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wasker polycounter lvl 7
    I quite liked the last episode. a bit thin on the zombie side but cool nontheless.

also: wrong thread for that gif :/
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
    that is one fucked up .gif right there..
    I mean, my hamster puts lots of shit in her mouth, but daym son!
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    what gif?

we don't get ep 2 of the series here until later in the week, so i'm going to do some internet haxing tonight i think :P bloody UK getting everything late >_>

anywho, knowing what's likely coming soon, as long as the comics are even half accurate to go by, the next couple of eps should be awesome. they're certainly likely to expand on the roamer/lurker definitions.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Hurry up and introduce Michone already! Very excited to see that character on the show.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    @jeffro, sadly I don't think Michone will be on the show until late Season 3 or early Season 4 if they go with two volumes for each season which is what they seem to be doing.

I'm more excited to see what they would do with the community in DC. Patrick Stewart would be a pretty close match for Douglas I think. I'm not even sure if the TV series will ever get that far though.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I hate to be the one to say this, but the first episode is still by far the best (Frank Darabont FTW).

They're introducing far too many plot holes, and 1-dimensional characters that serve absolutely no purpose other than to serve a completely irrational plot twist.

For a show more so reliant on character depth, I really wish they would do a few things that were more believable.
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    I hate to be the one to say this, but the first episode is still by far the best (Frank Darabont FTW).

I completely agree with this. Loved the first episode! There hasn't been an episode as good yet.
  • Rai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15
    jeffro wrote: »
    Hurry up and introduce Michone already! Very excited to see that character on the show.

Yes! 1,000x yes!

Also OP, thanks for the thread.. It was really needed. :)

200px-Issue_19.jpg
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    How do you pronounce her name? Mich-own or Me-cown?
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    It was odd, but I watched The last episode and then immediately after I watched Dexter.
    the funny thing was, the SAME THINGS HAPPEN.
    and literally, THE EPISODE WAS ABOUT THE SAME THING.
    the main character is dealing with faith/religion, and looking for a sign that he is on the right course. than something happens to his
    son
    (sry but I figured people in a walking dead thread wouldn't be expecting dexter spoilers aswell)
    and he questions the universe/god.
    other than that I think the walking dead has so far been the best show of all time.
    really it does what zombie movies NEED to do, whitch is examine life and humanity through a hopeless lense. not just provide an excuse to show undead people being shot by living people.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Rai wrote: »
    Yes! 1,000x yes!

Also OP, thanks for the thread.. It was really needed. :)

200px-Issue_19.jpg

i pronounce it "mi-shon"
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They need to start killing off a few people. The scooby gang is getting a bit large. I agree they won't hit the prison till the final shot of this season probably. But I still want Michone on the show already. The Governor stuff will be very interesting for a basic cable show too.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeffro wrote: »
    They need to start killing off a few people. The scooby gang is getting a bit large. I agree they won't hit the prison till the final shot of this season probably. But I still want Michone on the show already. The Governor stuff will be very interesting for a basic cable show too.

Not sure how they would handle both Michone's rape/torture scenes and Michone torturing the Governor. I would think that they're only able to get away with most of the gore they do because they're zombies, not real people.

Also when does Lori find out she's pregnant? Was it at the farm or at the prison or before that even?

Also on the subject of killing people off... Guess we'll have to wait for the zombies in the barn to get out.
  • Rai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    Not sure how they would handle both Michone's rape/torture scenes and Michone torturing the Governor. I would think that they're only able to get away with most of the gore they do because they're zombies, not real people.

Also when does Lori find out she's pregnant? Was it at the farm or at the prison or before that even?

Also on the subject of killing people off... Guess we'll have to wait for the zombies in the barn to get out.

They've had a lot of human gore that weren't due to Zombies, I think AMC is pretty cool about it.. Also, I'm not 100% sure, but to me the very first scene with the little girl zombie getting shot in the head set the bar and it seemed as though they did it to show us this.

When they were comfortable in the Prison is when Lori found out that she was pregnant.. Or at least told Rick.

Question, I haven't read early bits of the comic in 4-5 years or so.. Is the Farm before or after the Prison?

And just to note.. We shouldn't expect all of the characters or plot sequences to happen, Kirkman said he's changing it up quite a bit.. Note the already passed Church in the woods scene, which just merged the Hunters and the Farm. - I don't think Otis was in the comic. (Nvm, he was.. Just skinny)

Wiki: http://walkingdead.wikia.com/wiki/Michonne
    Michonne (pronounced ME-SHAWN) :D

Edit: Something I just realized.. In the comic, they state that everyone is already infected with the virus, when they die they reanimate, hence The Walking Dead.. (I haven't read the comic in awhile, so I'm not caught up) My question is, was there ever a proper newborn in the comic? I know what happened to Lori, so that unfortunately wasn't conclusive.

Otherwise, is that even true? I think it's in the air and you're already infected, although it's so weak that your immune system can handle it, though when you're dead it can take full control.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Rai, the Farm is before AND after the prison. This season is going to be mostly at the farm. Glenn will start his relationship with Maggie, they'll start training using guns (important for Andrea and Carl) and then Rick and Hershel will get in a fight and Hershel will kick them off of the farm. Then they will find the Prison at the end of this season probably. After the long section of the comic at the prison (Will probably end up being 2 seasons of the show I would think) when Rick and Carl are on their own they run into Glenn and Maggie on the horses and go back to the Farm again for a week or so. Then they run into Abraham's group and go off with them.

Also I don't think that the church they were at has anything to do with the hunters. It was just a setting and helped set up Rick praying to god for a sign before Carl gets shot. Otis was skinny in the comic but I'm fine that they've made him nice and fat in the show. It helps being able to keep the characters different.
  • Rai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15
    Damn, I really need to refresh my memory with the comic..

Maybe they'll introduce the Hunters some other way, though there's no mistake that's the church in the comic, just without the crazy preacher.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Question is, are they ready to show the beheading scene at the Prison, during he blockade.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    Question is, are they ready to show the beheading scene at the Prison, during he blockade.

or the torture scene, or lori + baby getting shot, or hanging the law breakers, there's so many things i'm constantly thinking "how the fk are they going to handle that?"
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a feeling that Otis might try to sacrifice himself so that Shane can get back to the group with the supplies. From what I remember Otis was created to be a bit of a redneck asshole but Daryl is pretty much filling that roll.

If Otis does get left to an uncertain fate he might possibly be rescued by Michonne (it would be a good way to write her in early). She did save him in the comic from a similar situtation. But I understand if they want to omit or save Michonne for later.

If I remember correctly Otis was turned into a zombie at the prison and put down again. So they might write him out earlier?

It would be cool to see him come shambling back to the farm bringing a pack of roamers with him. Or maybe he makes it back alive and gets turned when the zombies in the barn break out... Or maybe he survives until the prison.

Either way I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up dead this season, or if they make it to the prison before the season ends.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel wrote: »

Beheading who? The guy that gets beheaded isn't on the show. They split him into T-Dog and Shane it seems like.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    This show meanders off the graphic novel so much I've stopped wondering about the major plot points in the graphic novels and just wonder if they'll get to the grittier bits closest to where the show is at. Like if and how they will play out the part where it's revealed Hershel is keeping zombies in the barn, seeing as how during his conversation with Rick he mentioned he lost his wife and son to the plague, but he has no sons alive.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea I can't wait to see what goes down on the farm. If I remember the conversation correctly Herschel said something like "we might get our ass kicked for a while but we bounce back and solve it". Didn't he admit in the comic that he was keeping his family around to see if he could save them, or he couldn't bare to let them go?

Either way, I don't think his entire family is gone, I think one of his daughters falls in love with Glen, but they could write that in some other way I guess.

I'm not sure the show is wondering that wildly now it seems to be much more on track than it was last season. The CDC rabbit trail, Daryl's brother on the roof, the gang thats taking care of the elderly. They've managed to hit most of the key recognizable points and with the turn over of the writing staff and a more certain future for the series they might be taking it back on track.

So far the deviations where either something Kirkman wanted to explore (Shane) but didn't think the comic series would last so he didn't bother. Or ways to give a TV audience a bit more to keep them interested (CDC).
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They completely skipped the part in the housing community to get to the farm. I really like seeing what they're choosing to include from the comics and what they're not. I really hope the show continues to stay awesome.
  • Rai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15
    Did the Farm in the show even have a Barn? I didn't see one, maybe I'm just blind? :|
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai wrote: »
    Did the Farm in the show even have a Barn? I didn't see one, maybe I'm just blind? :|
    Might be switched to a basement or some smaller out building behind the house?

I forgot about the frozen housing complex, that was pretty awesome. They probably skipped it because of the production cost?
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    @ Mark,
    yes, Hershal is keeping his son in the barn (comics) to see if a solution to the plague comes around, but he finally realises that there won't be a cure or if there is, that he probably won't be around for it, so he gives his son "mercy".

in the comic he sees roamers almost like sheep, it seems. he says something like "once in a while one stumbles into the farm, so we just either let it keep going til it passes by, or herd it into our barn."

it feels like the timeline is a lot sooner than in the comic too. by the time they get to the farm in the comic it's already been winter, right? they found the dead frozen to the ground or even frozen standing up because they can't "function" in the cold.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There is a barn in the show. It might not have been in the second episode but they did a few development blog type things talking about how they built a barn and weathered it on that land.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Anyone else feel like the zombies in the show are noticeably faster than those in the comics? Rick mentions in the first episode about how he gets winded, but they don't, throughout the show the zombies clearly jog versus in the comic where they just shamble around and are only really a threat in large numbers/confined spaces/when surprising someone. I know it's the ol "running zombies debate" but it definitely makes the zombies feel more menacing in the show versus in the novels.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just started reading the comics from the beginning again and found some parts we messed up on storyline wise. Lori tells Rick she's pregnant before they go to the Farm and even before they explore the empty housing community.

Also as for why they skipped the housing community... I think as Mark said the cost wasn't worth it for such a small section. They only spend one night there in the comic and the only main story point that happens there is that Donna died. Donna, Allen and the twins already drove off at the end of last season though. Also Tyreese and his retarded daughter/boyfriend showed up in the comic before the farm. Seems that Shane has sort of absorbed most of what Tyreese did in the comics for now. Maybe if the Carl and Shane incident happens this season Tyreese will show up before the Prison or maybe they'll just ditch Tyreese and have Shane replace him. I would honestly be fine with that.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    ebagg wrote: »
    Anyone else feel like the zombies in the show are noticeably faster than those in the comics? Rick mentions in the first episode about how he gets winded, but they don't, throughout the show the zombies clearly jog versus in the comic where they just shamble around and are only really a threat in large numbers/confined spaces/when surprising someone. I know it's the ol "running zombies debate" but it definitely makes the zombies feel more menacing in the show versus in the novels.

In the talking dead show that airs afterwards the producer explained that it depends on how decomposed they are. Fresher bodies will move faster than more decomposed ones.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy wrote: »
    In the talking dead show that airs afterwards the producer explained that it depends on how decomposed they are. Fresher bodies will move faster than more decomposed ones.

That wasn't just a dang producer. That was Robert Kirkman. He wrote the comics.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    They've already diverted from the comics greatly. Shane should be dead already, and the son should be carrying a gun. I think the show is only going to loosely follow the comic as the season's progress. For instance, I get the feeling they'll skip the pregnancy, or if they keep it, they won't let the baby get killed (unless she miscarries).
  • Rai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15
    notman wrote: »
    They've already diverted from the comics greatly. Shane should be dead already, and the son should be carrying a gun. I think the show is only going to loosely follow the comic as the season's progress. For instance, I get the feeling they'll skip the pregnancy, or if they keep it, they won't let the baby get killed (unless she miscarries).

I think the pregnancy and the death were too substantial to the universe, they still haven't stated that everyone is already infected.. Assuming that's how Kirkman wants it to be.

If that's the case, then there's the huge question.. What happens if an infected baby is born?

Or at least, that's my question. :)
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Interesting twist to Shane as a character, methinks the show is keeping him around to make his descent into madness more drawn out and in depth, whereas in the GNs he snapped super quick. I'm guessing him snapping and Carl shooting him will be the season finale.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally got a chance to watch the latest episode. Obviously they are going to include the pregnancy in the show. I kind of wish they hadn't, because I didn't care too much for that part of the comics, but I guess they like the questions is raises (is it right to bring a child into this world as it exists).

One question this week though... why didn't someone grab that zombie by the pants, and finish pulling him over the edge? Obviously we would have missed out on a great gore moment, but damn, apparently they didn't want the water that bad.
  • Rai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15
    One question this week though... why didn't someone grab that zombie by the pants, and finish pulling him over the edge? Obviously we would have missed out on a great gore moment, but damn, apparently they didn't want the water that bad.

Was for the best, the water was already heavily contaminated.. You could even see the trickles of blood on the zombie's face and neck.
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    Finally got a chance to watch the latest episode. Obviously they are going to include the pregnancy in the show. I kind of wish they hadn't, because I didn't care too much for that part of the comics, but I guess they like the questions is raises (is it right to bring a child into this world as it exists).

Moment in a movie where they could just use brains ? Doing stuff right would end many movies / serial really early ;p But yeah it was looking odd since it took a while to rip him in half and they had one guy standing doing nothing... tv logic.

Rai - yeah I wouldn't drink from this well even if he was the best looking zombie ever...
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol, it's not like the zombie could get him, with the rope under his pits, and 5 people tugging on him. I get it though, and obvious TV logic. The problem is, I can't get my wife roped into this show if they are going to keep doing the really bad TV logic. She hates when I watch this show (thus my delayed viewing), because of the moments of TV stupidity.
    For instance this time, my wife was annoyed about the 'I'll screw you' moment. "Oh yeah, like THAT's where you'd choose to have sex." They should have just kept it like the comics, and did things at the farm, instead of a store in town, where a zombie could pop in at any moment.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That whole scene was sort of silly anyway. That water was dead already. Who is going to risk drinking it when a zombie has been marinating in it for who knows how long? Just silly. But, as was said above, cool gore moment.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, they made it to the barn scene (finally). Too bad it doesn't evolve until next week's episode.
    Find the damn girl and end that stupid story line! I know they are trying to use it for other things (like creating the rivalry between Rick and Shane), but enough already. I'm finding myself hoping that she's dead, just for causing such an annoyance :/
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah end this searching stuff. Kinda boring. Barn scene... WTF?! I didn't read the comics so don't know what does it mean (have some ideas of course but don't want to spoil it ;p). I hate how it ends like that. Best few seconds of this episode and it ends ... (I know... no tv serials without cliff hangers ;p). Oh and Andrea... deserved really hard slap in the head!
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, unfortunately, that whole scene was predictable. As soon as I saw Daryl with the blood on his mouth, I knew they were setting him up to look like a zombie. I'm really beginning to hate Andrea's character, and I actually liked her in the comics. She felt the need to prove herself in the comics also, but not by making stupid mistakes like that. Not to mention, the comic book Andrea would have blown his head off.

Since you haven't read them, I won't share details about the barn.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Since you haven't read them, I won't share details about the barn.
    Naahh... this is the spoiler tag free thread, you can talk about whatever relates to the walking dead. Besides someone already spilled the beans on Hershel's barn in this thread already, heh.
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I subconsciously tried to find here some info about barn :D I should probably stay away from this thread...

Thats funny that the most likeable character is Daryl. Redneck with SS mark on his bike...
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    i'm completely on the fence about the this show since season 2 started.
    one second something awesome is happening, then the other makes me facepalm.

love the comic, lovd the first season, but i just cant put my finger on what's not working this time around.

i want to like it, something just isnt rite
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    I hate Andrea. She really grinds my gears.
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is Daryl going to turn now? (arrow with blood on it going through his chest, cut-off ears touching his wound?)

and did they explain at any point that Lori's kid is Shane's or Rick's or what is all the drama about with being pregnant?

And why don't they just kill all the zombies in the Barn? (sorry for all the questions, but this show gets a bit weird right now...)
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @E-Freak,

1. Daryl wasn't in the comics so no one knows.

2. Obviously the kid (If you mean Carl) is Lori and Rick's since they're husband and wife. If you're talking about the unborn baby, what do you mean what's the drama about it? Shane slept with Lori so she's not sure who's baby it is.

3. Because it's not like those are just random walkers that stumbled into the barn. They were locked in there on purpose by Hershel. That's why he told them to stay away from the barn earlier and why him and Maggie exchanged an unapproving look when Rick said if they find Sofia as a zombie Shane should "do what needs to be done."

Anyway isn't the next episode the last of the first half of the season? The second half of the season will be shown starting early next year.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep, and in this episode, they also said, 'you know how Hershel feels about killing walkers', when Andrea wanted to shoot it. It's because Hershel thinks(hope) they can be cured, and he hates that Rick's group is killing them without remorse.

Zipfinator, he's referring to the baby, so to answer his question, no, Rick still does not know she's pregnant. Hopefully they don't drag that out for too long. In the comics, he didn't find out until after Shane was dead... but in the comics, Shane was already dead at this point. I'm assuming they're going to modify the storyline more, to keep Shane in it.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    My mind has been blownnnnnnnn;
    594028_700b_v1.jpg