Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Work in Progress: Chronoshift game

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Chielvl polycounter lvl 5
For a schoolproject I am making a game with a few others. Currently our programmer is making the most progress, but now most of the concepts are done, we're catching up with the assets.

Story:
As an elite soldier(different classes available) you're tasked with freeing a occupied outpost, taken over by the Drifters. (Detailed and prequel story will be provided on the site)

Genre:
Third Person Role Playing Shooter.

Engine:
UDK

Updates below:

Replies

• Chielvl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am currently making a weapon, for the first character to shoot. The sniper rifle. This is a familiar gun, and so it needs to feel like any other sniper.

I was texturing yesterday and I came across a little problem: The Specular map wasn't quite working. I had a map in greyscale, then completely black, and then completely white. All three gave the same render. Here is the textured sniper:

ESE%20Sniperrifle2.1.png

As you can see, the specular is normal. Also it is equally shiny everywhere. Not exactly what I had in mind. Anyone knows anything about that? Could it just be the render settings of 3Ds Max?
  • camza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can you post these maps for us to have a geeze?
  • Chielvl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fixed it! UDK accepts what 3DS doesn't for some reason.

The size multiplier is currently 2, so the details are very clear.

297410_302677276412830_279170415430183_1385559_696806328_n.jpg

Or check Facebook
  • Chielvl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The official teaser for the game is now online!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KD4VwpEsPLQ"]Official teaser trailer[/ame]

Id really like to know what you think of it!
  • Jimmg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jimmg polycounter lvl 5
    Your sniper is a box.
  • Chielvl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jimmg wrote: »
    Your sniper is a box.

How do you mean? Yes, the back is flat and is long, but definitely more complex than a box.
  • Chielvl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dear community,

I'm working with a team on a game called Chronoshift. It's a school project but we really want to make it the best game we can.

I would like you to visit our Work In Progress page: http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/816764-Chronoshift (Sorry I have to link to an Epic Games forum, but thats where most progress is displayed).

And then fill out our survey: http://www.thesistools.com/web/?id=221812 (It will take 2 minutes)

It would mean alot to us because we really want to know what the community thinks of the game so far.

Thank you all for helping!
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    You should at least wait til you have something worthwhile to show people instead of a test level with a default unreal toon and a oversized gun.
  • Chielvl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @BlvdNights, the test is mostly about what you think of our jungle, and what you think of the teaser.
    These two videos are part of our mandatory research we do for school.

You can answer the first 3 and the final question. For question 4 and 5 you have to have a little faith, but for those two questions it is preferable we show you a little more gameplay.

I'd still like to invite you to answer the survey, because this is the right time to make any necesarry changes. So please, try to answer the questions as good as possible.
  • Chielvl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another asset: a VTOL plane to fly over the level to give it a more realistic vibe.

chronoshift-vtol-javelin.png

I still want to add some detail via Normal map and via modelling, but need some feedback and ideas
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    watched a few of your videos. have you all created any whitebox or rough levels yet? This just seems like a student tech/art demo at the moment. Even if you don't have your mechanics down, get some rough gameplay or something visually created. Don't worry about making some pimp ass jungle scene yet.

Getting a whitebox done can help give you an idea of how much art you'll need and you can later task them out for time purposes. It will also help you get a better feel for flow and design. the worst thing you can do is get all this pretty art and tech and then try to cram it all in a poorly designed level that was an after thought.
  • Chielvl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, we'll do that asap! Meanwhile I'll stick to assets. Any suggestions about cool details in the texture?
  • Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    Have a look on google for sci-fi vehicle concepts, browse sites like Deviantart and find designs that you really like - try to be inspired by others' creations. Look to modern, real-life aircraft and see how they're constructed.