Home General Discussion

How to model my own original design

Isn't a technical question so I hope this is the right section

So here the problem
I know to model , Sculpt , UV map and texture : weapons , Building props , characters ..etc

The problem is that I can do this if I have blueprints or reference images
I don't have a problem modeling certain weapons and assets without reference images
but the problem arise in character's
all the tutorial use detailed blueprints (front and side)
I know this mostly supplied by professional concept artist but what if I want to come up with my own original design for character .

do this mean that I should learn how to draw ??

is there a workaround ?

what if I wanted to discard the whole original design thing and wanted to work (even for free)
do I put on my portfolio unoriginal work ?
because I can't imagine how to model a character without a reference images

I'm sorry if seems to be a silly question

but I need your advice guys before I invest my time trying to learn drawing or digital painting .

Replies

• Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    It's not a silly question. Making cool and original designs that work can be pretty tricky. The only advice I can give you is to start making characters with your own designs, post them for people to critique and then learn. Do this often enough and your eye for design will grow. If you want inspiration you can look at other people's work or at tutorials/making ofs to see how other people deal with certain problems.
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    If you want to model characters, it would be very beneficial for you to learn to draw. There are fundamental rules used in drawing that also apply equally in modeling. Proportion and anatomy is probably the most important thing to learn in drawing that is just as important in modeling. When you learn to draw well, your character modeling will look better too. Get yourself a cheap drawing anatomy book, some paper and good pencils and just draw every image in the book until it becomes second nature to you. It will make you a better artist and will increase your utility as a professional.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    do this mean that I should learn how to draw ??
    Yes. Drawing will enhance your ability to create stuff in 3D because the act of drawing something forces you to understand it on a very basic level.
    is there a workaround ?
    Yes. You could use exclusively other people's designs. I wouldn't recommend this, though, since it won't help build artistic skill as much as learning to draw.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Depends, but it's always the same.

If you simply don't want to play on perspective per say, and want designs to be 'cool', you will still need to learn 'the basic' stuff in 2D stuff, even if you'll limit yourself to ortho's so you can show them in sculpt form later on (in my case, I can sculpt like no tomorrow, but cannot draw in perspective for the life of me).

Why? Because simply put, the color dynamics, material feel, scale, figure, etc, all are thought under 2D, and understanding dynamics of how a thing will work in concept phase will show it off better in the long run.

May not sound the best solution, but if you're looking for professional 2D drawing type of material, although outdated, would be Gnomon.

So yeah, usually in 3D educations, you learn stuff more technically, as opposed to dynamically.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    And why exactly are Gnomon vids outdated ?
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    because they are UNGODLY EXPENSIVE? :(
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oops, you're right, I thought Gnomon had fallen back on their tutorial content, and prioritized more their Academic training.

My apologize for the misinformation good Sir. It seems like that is not the case as such (although their 3D stuff still chugs very slowly and is pretty spasmodic at best).
    SupRore wrote: »
    because they are UNGODLY EXPENSIVE? :(

True, but they do have the ability to charge as much for that considering that no one so far has challenged them in the realm of 2D.

Digital Tutors I think is the only other 'Professional' outlet which has some training material for 2D, but it's a joke when compared to Gnomon, and most other such material is either on Campus type training, Web Workshop, or charge as much as Gnomon, with only half the quality, usually the latter being solo artists who want to make a quick buck at the expense of some people who think watching a tutorial will make you better.

Plus, with the whole inking, lines and even figurine painting videos they have, Gnomon is nearly unbeatable in that area. All those add up to concept artists repertoire.

But correct me if I'm wrong, don't they have a subscription based option also? I think it's about a buck a day for the whole 2D stuff and concept side?
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Ganemi wrote: »
    this is a family forum ace

Penis_tankWIP01.jpg
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Swizzle wrote: »
    Penis_tankWIP01.jpg

fair point, Swiz

On the subject though, the point of drawing is the ability to quickly iterate on ideas. Something that would take an hour to block out, with draft lighting(and still checker textures probably) would take 10 minutes to paint and the painted version would probably look better and livelier.

So yes there is a work around. Work from the biggest shapes in 3d and iterate right there until your happy. And until you lock down the design in your head slaps yourself every time you try to delve into small details. Designers don't happen overnight, so be patient, build up your visual library, do tons of research and iterate on designs as much as possible and in a few years you'll be golden.
  • TheHell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I didn't need to see a penis tank in the morning while eating a sandwich guys ,
    anyway I understand that I need to learn 2D Drawing
    and I have Found this
    TheStuctureOfManDVDHDp2.jpg
    I think it's far more detailed (and bang for the buck ) compared to gnomon
    still i don't know why I have hesitation because 2D Drawing is like a whole new filed and unknown area for me :poly127: and I haven't drawn anything since elementary school .
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    I am on the same boat as you The Hell :) I started with 3d without knowing how to draw and little by little I realize I have to step back and just get to it. I started practicing just with some Loomis books and just getting my hand use to ...draw lines, as funny as it might sounds is not so simple if you have not done it :)
  • TheHell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^
    Good to know I'm not alone in this
    and I will check loomis book if it's available