Home General Discussion

Favorite Scary Movie(s)

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
With Halloween just a week away I thought it would be interesting to have a discussion on what everyone's favorite scary/horror movies are.

I'll start it off with a few of my faves:
American Werewolf in London
Bride of Frankenstien
Alien/s
Evil Dead 2

Replies

• Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mojo2k polycounter lvl 18
    alien, phone, a select handfull of Nightmare on elm streets, dead alive, and more but thats what i think of now
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Alien(s), evil dead, as a kid I always loved nightmare on elm street films. I've heard good things about this new movie, SAW, but I've yet to see it.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    She-Creature - one of the, if not the only horror movie based around mermaids

The Ring

Sleepy Hollow

any Hammer film

any of the classic Universal monster films

any Godzilla movie smile.gif

Underworld

Dagon

The Blair Witch Project - everyone mocks this film but name another horror film that had so many people who believed it really happened... the only thing that i can think of is the radio broadcasts of War of the Worlds. speaking of...

War of the Worlds radio broadcasts

28 Days Later

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - when the Dementors show up on the train and the music cuts out and the camera moves in to the Dementor opening the door is just a classic horror moment. smile.gif

also any other movie such as THEM!, Night of the Leapists, Attack of the Killer Shrews, John Carpenter's The Thing, anything by Sam Raimi, John Capenter, Fracis Ford Coppala, George Romero, M. Night Shyamalan, ect ect...
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    28 Days Later, simply becuase the concept was scary, and it provided mankind was scary and barbarous enough without infection.

Saw had some very tense moments.

American Werewolf in London. I remember seeing it when I was about 10, and the Zombie Nazi dream scene haunted me for years.
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sundance polycounter lvl 18
    scream and scream 2
  • sal_manilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sal_manilla polycounter lvl 18
    <font color="red"> PUMPKINHEAD </font> shocked.gif
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    The Nightmare on Elm street and old zombie movies are my favorites.
    The Micheal Jackson "Thriller" video scared me a bit when I wa a young lad blush.gif
    Now just Micheal Jackson smile.gif
  • palm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    palm polycounter lvl 18
    Alien, the first only.
    Evil Dead 2 is funny as hell.
    The Ring. I accually got a bit scared when I saw it.=)

/Palm
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hope you are talking about the Japanese Ring, and not the affront that was the remake....
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    the first time i saw it(when it was new) John Carpenter's "The Thing" kinda scared me some smile.gif
  • palm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    palm polycounter lvl 18
    Im talking about the remake.=P
    Havent seen the original, dark water was kick ass so maybe I should try to get hold of the original somewhere.
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    The Thing
    The first and third Nightmare on Elm Street
    The Exorcist
    Dead Alive
    Evil Dead
    The original Texas Chainsaw Massacre (although R. Lee Ermie was fucking awesome in the remake)
    The first 2 Hellraiser movies

I haven't liked any recent horror movies. With todays special effects and with how nice the cameras are now they're just not as scary as back in the 70's and 80's when they were still grainy with bad sound. They were just creepier back then. Plus the stories have either been utterly terrible (House of the Dead, House on Haunted Hill, Thirteen Ghosts, Wishmaster, etc.) or they've just been very uninteresting and just not scary (The Others, The Ring, Sixth Sense, etc.). I think the golden age of horror movies is over.

EDIT: Ha! Dukester, awesome that you mentioned The Thing also. That one's my favorite of all time. Best Horror Movie Monster Ever!
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Now is it scary or gross out flicks?

I mean Movies like Dead Alive had nothing Scary in them at all, it was funny as hell and was chock full of more fake limbs and blood than any other movie I've seen.

Though I think my favorite Horrors/Splatter Flicks Are:

Bram Stokers: Dracula
    Evil Dead 1 n' 2
    The Exorcist (Actually Scared the shit out of me...when I was 5 though :P)
    Sleepy Hollow
    Creepshow 1 & 2 (Something about the Yeti in the first one, gets me every time I see it)
    Anything Clive Barker ( Yeah, I even enjoyed the last 50 Hellrasier movies, lol)
    Plan 9 From Outerspace (Oh yeah, you need to have an Ed Wood film in there too)

I know there's more but I can't remember
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, not all the movies I listed actually scared me. I just listed the ones that were my favorites and fit under the Horror movie category.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    I haven't seen a movie that actually "scared" me since the first Nightmare on Elm Street when I was about 16 (by "scare" I mean I lost sleep at night, not just the "boo!" jump, heart skip effect that is commonplace in the genre). I'm more looking for what everyone's favorites are in the "horror / splatter / scary " movie genre, but if the film actually scares you that's even cooler wink.gif
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I used to be scared of the Moomins.
  • frosty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frosty polycounter lvl 18
    Well AZ, I really only got scared by a few the hack n slash I just can't wade thru.

King's the Stand gave me nightmares bit time and the other King film Nightflyer did me in. Dwight Reinfield gave me the utter creeps!
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    I saw the movie pilot "Night Gallery" when I was about 11 and the first segment with Roddy Mcdowoll and the old mans paint scared the living shit out of me. Not just boo scared smile.gif
  • frosty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh yes Dukie, I recall those segments too. I still recall with vivad horror when a crooked real estate broker cut off this 66 yr old ladies hand in hopes she'd bleed to death and he could buy up her estate, prob was she did die, but not before she buried her hand and grew herself back with roots and dirt on her. Wow!
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, I know a movie that actually had lasting effects of fear, when I was about 7 or so, I watched a movie called Goulies, the movie is meant to be a comedy/horror, but there's a scene wear a guy gets attacked by a monster on the toilet, so for about a year I was scared something was gonna bite my butt while on the john, and if I was taking a wiz, would come up and rip off my wang...yeah, my imagination got the better of me on that one. crazy.gif

Though I watched the movie again recently, it's not that great...lol, and I think there's like 4 of them.
  • Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mojo2k polycounter lvl 18
    i for one liked the american version of ring much better than the japanese, which is weird because i am a BIG fan of japanese movies, and japanese horror movies, but the japanese ring, only saw the first one, was weak as hell, and i can't see how people are convinced that it is so much better than the remake. even the storry was better in the remake.
  • frosty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K I forgot, I really was freaked about Body Snatchers but don't know why then.

Also I was allowed to read the Exorcist at 10 and I read all the way up to where she started fu(king herself with the crucifix and I freaked out and wanted to see a priest and my parents took the book away. Does that count?
  • jack_blackSISCO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jack_blackSISCO polycounter lvl 18
    Mothman Prophecy.

Chilling more than scary but put that sucker on a big screen with lights out and surround sound pumping....that'll get ya going.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Audition - Perhaps scary isn't the word, but its easily the most disturbing film I've ever seen.
    The Thing
    Saw.
    Things Best Left - A 5 minute short with pratically no dialogue. Really creepy.

And while're they're not remotely scary, I've gotta add the Evil Dead Trilogy and Dusk 'til Dawn to the list.
  • jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    David Freaking Cronenberg.

"Shivers", "Rabid", "Scanners", "Videodrome". Yeah.

/jz
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Any movie with Jennifer Love Hewitt.
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    Probably the Haunting (most recent).
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    Exorcist
    Shining
    The Serpent and the Rainbow.
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

I used to be scared of the Moomins.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it the ties and name tags? or the bicycles?

-R
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    Alien
    Evil Dead 1 & 2 (3 was a complete disaster of a disney film)
    HellRaiser 1 & 2
    The Thing
    RingMaster (1/2 simply down to the gore)
    BrainDead (gorey and funny as ph00k)

I saw a bunch of splatter films I like but only for gore entertainment value, as films they were awful.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Army of Darkness wasn't that bad...it was an action moive instead of an *intended* horror. Though I am also one of those people who see Bruce Campbell as a tiny god...
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *Prostrates before Bruce Campbell idol.*
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah no doubt bruce campbell kicks a hell of a lotta ass but I just day army of darkness as a disney version and half of it was darn st00pid. Atleast that was my take on the film.
    Bruce Campbell is the King! (bubba ho-tep tongue.gif)
  • PhattyEwok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhattyEwok polycounter lvl 9
    woah Super necro 7 years old

just realized this is a bot
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    Event Horizon still scares teh hell out of me
    but for halloween i would prefer watching them good ol steven king classics
  • Mrskullface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fucking Rec 1 and 2

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifmFMfcg7VE&amp;feature=relmfu&quot;][REC] 2 - Teaser Trailer #2 - www.rec2lapelicula.com - YouTube[/ame]
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    Yay for necrothreads! And ditto on Rec 1 and 2. They're fucking awesome, and don't you dare watch anything else but the original Spanish version!

Also, Dead Snow.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    The house of the Devil, no doubt.
  • Spitfire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • tyddynroger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tyddynroger polycounter lvl 6
    Rec
    The Thing
    Silent Hill
    Dark Water(Korean Version)
  • erroldynamic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    erroldynamic polycounter lvl 18
    May
    Pulse (Original Japanese version)
    High Tension, Martyrs, Inside (Gotta love those French extreme flicks!)
    Night of the Demons (favorite to watch on Halloween)
    Halloween
    28 Days Later
    Suspiria
    The Lost (based off Jack Ketchum's novel0
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can't believe this thread wasn't call "What's your favourite scary movie?" sigh.

Roin: which Night of the Demons? I've only seen the one with Shannon Elizabeth and Edward Furlong so I have to kinda question your taste there.

Trick 'r Treat, avery fun anthology film from a couple years ago that is suitably creepy and very well tied together. A mostly good cast and excellent practical effects. Not scary but perfect for halloween

trick_r_treat.jpg

Event Horizon is always good.

the original Fright Night and Fright Night part 2,
    Creepshow - I can't remember if its part 1 or 2, the
    one with the hitchhiker, I still think that about every damn time i get out of a car in a garage.

Evil Dead 2.

Return of the Living Dead 1 and 2 are both very entertaining 80's zombie flicks that aren't scary in any imaginable way.

Doghouse, I found this on netflicks and just took a chance that was so totally worth it
    a bunch of guys go on a weekend trip and endup in a town where all the women have turned into crazed zombie-demon's
    doghouse1b.jpeg

If you're unsure about a particular movie or just want to see what all is out there, I strongly suggest Killer Reviews, it's a database of Horror and fantasy films and most of them have several reviews both staff and user so you can get a good idea from different points of view.
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
    Pennywise1.gif

Kayako-Saeki-kayako-saeki-14416440-320-320.jpg

....And thats all I gotta say about that...
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    Trick 'r Treat, avery fun anthology film from a couple years ago that is suitably creepy and very well tied together. A mostly good cast and excellent practical effects. Not scary but perfect for halloween

trick_r_treat.jpg

This movie right here is like the perfect halloween movie! So much atmosphere. It reminded me of halloween as a kid. Except the sexy werewolves...

giggidy
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    Night of the Living Dead.
    Hide and Seek. not too much of a scary movie but very suspenseful.
  • erroldynamic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    erroldynamic polycounter lvl 18
    Roin: which Night of the Demons? I've only seen the one with Shannon Elizabeth and Edward Furlong so I have to kinda question your taste there.

The original Night of the Demons of course! The remake is crap.

Trick R Treat is another one that is perfect for Halloween night!
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    You said scary, not horror so my vote goes to Signs. I know most probably wouldn't consider it that scary, but I was still a little young when it came out; gave me chills!
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, I said I liked Saw and Audition the last time this thread popped up. Must have been whacked up on wow-wow sauce.

Let's get a less insane list here:
    Carpenter's The Thing.
    An American Werewolf in London
    Cronenberg's The Fly
    May.

There are a bunch I'm forgetting.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
  • SUNCHIRP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Changeling ( 1980 )
    Poltergeist
    The Devils Backbone
    House ( 1986 ) - Horror Comedy - but plenty of scares in it
    Sixth Sense
    The Amityville Horror ( 1979 ) - the red eyes at the window...!!!
    The Entity
    The Fog ( Original 1980 release )
    Patrick ( 1978 )

I'm sure there is lot's more, I grew up watching these kinds of movies ! :)

And an episode of Lassie when I was a kid, where they stayed in a old barn during a thunderstorm, and during the night, a giant shadow walked past the barn, but was never addressed at any other point during the episode, haunted me for weeks.

And just because I loved them so, not necessarily scary : -

The Return Of The Living Dead
    The Gate
    The Nightmare Before Christmas