Home Technical Talk

Symmetric Unwraps

ikonane
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
ikonane polycounter lvl 7
How do I get symmetric unwraps?

I have unwraped identical cuts but when I pelt them they ended up slightly different. Something that I noticed now when I was going to start with the diffuse....

Unwrap_Problem.jpg

The black areas is different but the blue isn't.

Any idea how to fix this?

Thanks!

Replies

• sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    you can copy and paste UVs from one set of faces to another. It doesn't always work properly but you can give it a try.
  • ikonane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How do I do that?

Can you do this with TexTools? http://www.renderhjs.net/textools/
    I have never used that script.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    ikonane wrote: »
    How do I do that?
    Can you do this with TexTools? [

you don't need anything fancy. do this:

- go into 'face mode' in the UV editor
    - select some faces
    - go to the edit>copy in the 'edit UVWs' window
    - select some new faces
    - go edit>paste

Note that this usually only works if the faces are the same in number and shape. And then only works some of the time...
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If that method doesn't work, just unwrap one half and then mirror the faces on the mesh.
  • M3M3R
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If that method doesn't work, just unwrap one half and then mirror the faces on the mesh.

i agree to that.
  • ikonane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt wrote: »
    you don't need anything fancy. do this:

- go into 'face mode' in the UV editor
    - select some faces
    - go to the edit>copy in the 'edit UVWs' window
    - select some new faces
    - go edit>paste

Note that this usually only works if the faces are the same in number and shape. And then only works some of the time...

I selected the opposite faces that I wanted changed, that is correct right?

But I get this result:

Unwrap_Problem_1.jpg

What am I doing wrong?

Do I need to repelt it or something?

I've had some strange artifacts when I have done that method in the past and now I would like to save as much of the unwrap as possible because of the normal maps are already done.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    ikonane wrote: »
    What am I doing wrong?

like I said - sometimes it doesn't work. I've never been able to figure out the exact reason why.
  • _Erik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Never have I, although it works great if you copy/paste 1 face. If you paste 1 poly and keep pressing paste it rotates the poly 90 degrees in the unwrap.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just detach the correctly UV'ed faces from the mesh, delete the messed up ones and run symmetry on the correct faces and weld everything back into place. Which is what I think Sean was hinting at.

About the copy/paste. Its based on vertex number it won't work within the same mesh because the vertex numbering is different.

It will work if you have a box copied several times as separate objects, then you select all of the separate objects and apply UVW Unwrap (as an instance). THEN you can copy and paste UV's because instead of one giant mesh with one single vertex index (1-245) you have a several meshes each with their identical vertex indexes 6x(1-8). So it places vert 1 in the right spot each time instead of putting vert 245 where vert 1 was.

If you joint all those boxes into one mesh and then it joints the vert indexes and you get messed up UV's again. At that point you're better off unwrapping one box, detaching the rest, resetting their pivot point and snapping copies of the one correctly unwrapped box to the positions of the others.

On a mesh that is perfectly symmetrical like a plane, you really should model it with symmetry on top of your stack with show end result turned on and only build/unwrap half.
  • ikonane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just detach the correctly UV'ed faces from the mesh, delete the messed up ones and run symmetry on the correct faces and weld everything back into place. Which is what I think Sean was hinting at.
    Ah, awesome! That worked!

1) Deleted the faces that I wanted to change.
    2) Detached the ones that I wanted to "duplicate"
    3) Symmetry on the faces
    4) Flipped the uv-island in the unwrap
    5) Attached them back to the original mesh

Thanks!