Home General Discussion

First interview/ what to wear??

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
jordan.kocon polycounter lvl 13
Ok so what to wear is only part of my question. On Friday I have my first interview at a game studio. I just got off the phone with them, and had a pre-interview, which I think went well because they scheduled me to come to the studio...

So serious question, what do I wear? I am only 20, so is it appropriate to wear a dress shirt, jeans, and skate shoes? Or what about dress shirt, jeans and dress shoes (like Aldo's). This might sound like a stupid question but if there is anything I don't want to eff up on, its my outfit...

Other than that, can anyone give me any tips, suggestions or questions I SHOULD ASK?

Thanks PC :)

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Knee pads.

That should be fine, don't wear a suit or a suit jacket, people would make jokes about you for the next 3 years. Even a nice polo and clean jeans could work. It could vary from studio to studio, you could see if any polycounters or their friends work at that studio and what they suggest. You can also try youtubing to see if there's a tour of the studio just to see what people normally wear.
  • dii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dii
    I recommend wearing onesy pajamas with a trap door - it'll come in handy.

Game industry mentor actually had a podcast on this, I believe it was the portfolios one. Probably worth checking out.

http://gim.acanaday.com/?p=93
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    As with any job interview, you want to dress slightly more formal than the people whom work there. So, a nice dressy shirt, stylish jeans or khakis, and a clean pair of professional looking shoes (no open toe/sandal, crocs, or athletic shoes).
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    Dress casual. No "i support strippers" shirts. With ripped jeans. The artists guys problably wont care about it, hell they may think is funny. But HR and upper management will. Also, if you got tats, try to cover them up but not all. A shower wont hurt either. And most importantly just be you.

I actually wore a tie to my 1st interview for an industry job, at element x creative. The owner was wearing shorts, and a super man shirt lol. I felt so over dressed.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Khakis, white/light blue oxford shirt, brown leather boots, brown belt. You're good to go. You will look both casual and smart at the same time; you can't go wrong with that :)

Just make sure it all fits properly; if your shirt is oversized give it to a tailor. Don't wear anything that's too big for you, you will look like a highschool kid at a prom.

Well screw that. You can wear anything as along as it fits. Good fit is the most important.

Sartorialist to the rescue. Might give you some ideas. Majority of these outfits will be way too dressy/extravagant, but look primarily at the fit.

Yeah, I know. I'm nuts. But hell, dressing well will give your confidence a huge boost. True story :poly136: And hell, you might end up looking as a one smooth motherfucker.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    aiea-high-school-wrestling.jpg

nothing screams employable like a unitard...plus you'll be ready if there is an impromptu wrestling match with the interviewer..

wear somethign comfortable

also good luck..!
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    I wore what I'd normally wear day-to-day and went with torn up jeans, a regular t-shirt and have a mohawk. At the end of the day, so long as you present yourself well, it doesn't matter too much what you wear.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Like a hobo... that way when they hire you, you know its because you're awesome.

But seriously slightly more formal than what they are probably wearing. Ben Mathis gave a good suggestion probably 20-30 of these threads ago... Dress smartly in layers of casualness. If you find what you're wearing is too formal take a layer off.

It's probably not that smart to wear a sweater over a shirt, the last thing you need to be doing is flashing your pasty white underbelly at a room full of strangers as you struggle to get your head out the neck hole.

If you're outer layer makes you look like "a fat guy in a little coat" you're doing it wrong.
  • Mcejn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Just wear what you're most comfortable in, so long as it doesn't have mustard stains on it. If you're in for the interview you've already sold 'em on your art, now you just gotta charm 'em, so don't stress so much, you're half way there!
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    wash and wear a black suit with a slayer t shirt..
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
  • Tenchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's the famous example of someone handing in their CV to Epic in a Stormtrooper costume and later getting hired. So why not for an interview ^^
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    smart but casual is the way to go. No silly t-shirts or crap like that.

mank-350c.jpg
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    Tenchi wrote: »
    There's the famous example of someone handing in their CV to Epic in a Stormtrooper costume and later getting hired. So why not for an interview ^^

ya it worked it get him noticed though i htink they olny let him in at first cause they thought he was form lucasarts and was there for a announcement.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    Jeans and a collared shirt should do you just fine.

If you can find a team picture, dress slightly better than what you see the average person in the picture wearing.

Good luck!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Business casual, nice pants/jeans, button down shirt or polo shirt or even nice t-shirt, regular shoes, I would skip the "skater" shoes unless they're fairly simple. No tie or anything like that. Really, just clean and simple.

Dont worry about it too much really though, you still want to be yourself, but just be yourself classed-up a bit. You dont want it to be a shock when you show up in your wife beater and JNCO jeans for the first day of work.
  • jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow first off thanks for all the replies, it was both insightful and hilarious. So now I am stuck between business casual and haloween :)

Anyways I am thinking my original plan with a plaid dress shirt, and dress shoes seems the way to go. Just not sure about the skinny jeans...
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Greentooth T-Shirt.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyways I am thinking my original plan with a plaid dress shirt, and dress shoes seems the way to go. Just not sure about the skinny jeans...

Jeggings.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jorts.

But yeah, basically what everyone else said. Keep it casual. First date attire.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas wrote: »
    Greentooth T-Shirt.
    green face paint
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    green face paint

green-tooth face tattoo
  • imyj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imyj polycounter lvl 8
    Avoid wearing a suit like previous people said. Perhaps stay away from things like overly-geeky / rival company t-shirts.

The one thing to keep in mind is that you should be yourself. Make sure you're comfortable in what you're wearing. You don't want to be sweating in an uncomfortable shirt. There's nothing wrong with wearing a t-shirt you like underneath a smart shirt. Avoid wearing anything which will show sweat marks too! Or else you'll be like this guy:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OZI1tkXAUU"]Uncontrollably sweating during interview. Soccer player ends up soaking wet. - YouTube[/ame]

I had doubts about certain things like wearing trainers but I took the risk anyway and went ahead wearing hi-tops since I wear them all the time. Every interview I went to had people in my interview who wore/liked trainers as well. So uhh... be yourself!
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    wear what you usually wear (as long as it isn't a monkey suit)
    make sure your clothing is clean and tidy
    make sure your behavior is tip top - we can deal with weird looks, but unfriendly people: nope

about suit jackets - if it fits your style, why not? they're only laughable when it's obvious that they're not part of your daily wardrobe. And that's the whole point - wear what you usually wear.

People used to tease me in a friendly way that I look like a boss wearing dress shirts quite often... guess what I'm now mwhahaha
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    288man-horse.jpg

but ya dress casual, but clean, "butt clean" also
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    if you worn this durring the phone interview, you probably already had the job!

be-kind-rewind-img3.jpg
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    oo oo, how about a pink dress, doc marten boots and a firemans helmet.

Make and impression, be remembered
  • ChrisG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChrisG polycounter lvl 14
    You didnt think you would get a sensible answer did you?
    Red rag to a bull and all that.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
  • jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ... dary

Well if nothing else I got a really good laugh out of this thread! :) But it seems as simple as just being yourself really.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    green-tooth face tattoo
    green facial
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is that the 'spa treatment' kind or... the other kind.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Both.

Wait, is that not standard at spas?

...What kind of spas have I been going to, then?
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    If I were going to apply at Infinity Ward I would do my best to wear a Treyarch tshirt.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    OK.

What you wear isn't as important as what you are bringing to the table as a talented person who can communicate through an interview. You could wear the most perfect interview clothes and still blow it because you jibberjabber like a fool.

If you dress a little too formal, or a little too informal that might be noticed at the start of the interview, but 2 minutes later it will have been forgotten.

That being said, here are a few guidelines that should help you:

Treat it like a date and wear what you would wear on a casual first or second date. It is a first date after all, a few people getting together to see if they like each other and whether or not the relationship is worth taking any further.

Don't wear what you are "comfortable" in. Some people are comfortable in Pyjamas. Some people take their shoes and socks off to be comfortable. What you want to wear are clothes that you are CONFIDENT in, and clothes that you'd show up to a first date in. Do you in your daily life like to wear a shirt and tie? Wear it to the interview

Be hygienic - have a wash and make sure your clothes are clean. Are you a guy? Unless you have a beard I'd advise you to have a shave that morning. The people interviewing you might have 5 day a of stubble (I'm not like that really, no...), but you should make the effort.

The inside of the studio is probably going to be different from the weather outside. You'll be in a modern air conditioned building most likely, and if I was interviewing someone in 2 months time there would be snow and ice outside. So, prepare a little for the weather. A small umbrella wil stop you looking like a drowned rat and can easily be tucked away into a bag. When I interviewed at Ubisoft it was lashing down, and I had to quickly find a shop where I could buy an umbrella so that I could walk to the studio without being soaked.

So, treat it like a date. Be on time, take a little care in your grooming, have a good time with some interesting conversations. Hopefully you'll end up with some mind blowing sex.

As an aside, the hole date thing probably doesn't work at all if you pick up people in sex clubs.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    OK.
    Don't wear what you are "comfortable" in. Some people are comfortable in Pyjamas. Some people take their shoes and socks off to be comfortable.

As boss, this is exactly what I'd like to know BEFORE hiring someone ;)
    Although here in Shanghai you could argue that Pyjamas are perfectly ok since people regularly wear them out on the streets.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon wrote: »
    If I were going to apply at Infinity Ward I would do my best to wear a Treyarch tshirt.

Nah man, a Respawn Entertainment one! :D
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Greentooth T-Shirt.

Yes.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18

Don't wear what you are "comfortable" in. Some people are comfortable in Pyjamas. Some people take their shoes and socks off to be comfortable. .

i go barefoot at work :poly122:
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    The same thing you would wear pretty much for any other circumstance:

3607964533_62971b1611.jpg

You know, I posted that kinda jokingly, but if you really wore that shirt to an interview it'll score you some points.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    I wore that (3 wolf) shirt to the illfonic interview. Nailed it.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Bigjohn wrote: »
    The same thing you would wear pretty much for any other circumstance:

3607964533_62971b1611.jpg

You know, I posted that kinda jokingly, but if you really wore that shirt to an interview it'll score you some points.

Remember to wear this with an underwear, when you are getting interviewed by BigJohn...

If you are not, than a bright colour dress shirt and Khaki pants are golden for other interviews. Also, do some homework and see if they require one to wear a tie for an interview or not. Different places have different standard.

Good luck.:)
  • jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just gonna bring back this rather silly thread, and hopefully not sound like an ass and let everyone know I got the job! :)
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    and it probably had very little to do with how you dressed...congrats
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Where's the job?
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    Resisting the Uranus joke.

Grats dude :)
  • jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry, I should've mentioned, the job is at Slant Six Games as an environment artist.
    Ganemi wrote: »
    *sigh* Did he at least bring the friggin pistol?

It was awkward explaining to the interviewers that it was just a pistol in my pants, and I wasn't just excited to see them.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Congrats man! Slant Six is a good team. Really looking forward to the Res Evil project.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Just gonna bring back this rather silly thread, and hopefully not sound like an ass and let everyone know I got the job! :)

So.. what did you dress? :p