Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Middle-Eastern Hut

Here are some images of a middle-eastern hut I've been working on. I've focused a lot on tiled materials for this project. Most of which have been sculpted in mudbox and baked using xNormal. The images below were captured using marmoset.
afghan_view1.jpg
afghan_view2.jpg
afghan_view2_normals.jpg
stonewall_sculpt.jpg
mudwall_sculpt.jpg

I used a second UV set for an AO/dirt pass.
afghan_painting.jpg

Replies

• adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    So your technique here is that you built 2 tiling textures in mudbox, and geometry in the model is what is separating the two? The top image is pretty nice.

I would suggest you do a blend for the bricks, where you blend the base brick you have here to one that is sand blasted a bit and has some colour from the clay wall. It'll smooth the transitions.

Great start here, keep going.
  • timspanjer
    Thanks Adam - you are correct. I'm using the geometry to separate the materials. Mainly using this work flow b/c the final output for this model is the CryEngine. If i was using UDK I'd use a texture to handle the transition. (Realizing how much more flexible UDK materials are than Cry.)

I agree with you about blending the sand and the stones a bit more. thanks again
  • ParoXum
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    Looking ace. I hope you don't mind if I inspire myself a bit from your work since I have similar buildings to make in my map soon :)

Also since your target is CE3, I'm not sure you can use UV2 yet for your AO pass. Might be worth checking.
  • timspanjer
    Thanks ParoXum - You're right about the 2nd UV set in CryEngine. It uses vertex colors which i have baked down on a different version. (Still felt compelled to make the AO pass for my renders :) )
  • iniside
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    Nice workflow and nice building. I've been using similar technique to maximize reusing of tileable textures, although you have done this much better than me :D.
    Also since your target is CE3, I'm not sure you can use UV2 yet for your AO pass. Might be worth checking.
    You can't.
    It's quite often request feature. So using multiple uv channels might be implement.. in future.

Although for blending you might try this:
    http://freesdk.crydev.net/display/SDKDOC2/Blend+Layer

And cloud show more shots from bigger distance to get and overview for entire building.
    Realizing how much more flexible UDK materials are than Cry
    Yeah soz. It's the price you pay for deferred shading. It's better to get use of that, because more and more engines will be switching for this lighting model.
  • Oniram
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 15
    wow i had thought maybe that was already in UDK or Cryengine.. but marmoset. wow. spectacular job on the textures.
  • timspanjer
    iniside - here is a turntable showing more of the building. This was also captured in marmoset.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmBwT-JCHhg&feature=player_profilepage"]http://youtu.be/OmBwT-JCHhg[/ame]
  • EVIL
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    One thing that bothers me is the angular separation between the dry mud shell and the rocks. especially for an environment piece its very low poly, also they don't simply pile up rocks and cover it with mud, all the cracks are filled with mud and clay, so I would fill that up for a more convincing piece.