Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Pirate Lamp Post

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Gannon interpolator
I've gotten to a point where I'd really like some critiques on this lamp post and barrel textures.

Additionally I need to add in the skulls and the moss hanging from the ropes like the reference. The lamps on a 1024x512 and the barrels just a single 512. Also taking suggestions on what to fill the barrel with.

I wish I had laid out the UVs for the rope a little differently so I could bake in lighting information so I might redo that here before I call this finished. The base and parts of the lamp are overlapping as well as the braces up top.

lamppostwip.jpg

Replies

• m4dcow
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    I'm not sure exactly what the wires look like, but you can use vertex colours to apply some lighting or AO effect to the ropes.

For me the stylization on the base metal piece is reading as some sort of stone rather than metal. I figure since it's a sort of pirate themed piece, you could add warmer colors indicating rust.

Are you doing this as a one off prop piece, or doing a larger environment? It would be awesome, the artist (I believe his name is Artyom Vlaskin) has some really cool looking larger concepts.
  • ariofighter
    Offline / Send Message
    ariofighter polycounter lvl 13
    I like the way your wood looks. It has a nice style to it, but still keeps its real wood detail.

I would make the ropes yellow or another not as brown color. I think it will really help bring them out against the wood.

The only other crit I have have is I would find a way to make the wood side supports look connected to the metal or stone base. Right now they just look like their sitting on top of each other. If you paint in a nail or bolt it may look more realistic. Just an idea.

Keep up the good work and make more props so you will have a full scene.
  • Gannon
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    I'm thinking about making more based on some of his other concepts, they're really inspiring. Ill toss this into udk and mess with the vertex painting. I'm not sure how to do it in maya. :-/

Totally forgot about making some kind of attachment or connecting bit to the support leg, Thanks for pointing that out. I'll make the change to the rope and add some bolts on the support leg.
  • Jar3d
    I love Banderlog's concepts. lots of cool stuff on there.

Pretty good job here. It's feeling a little too consistent to me. I want to see some parts damaged and some parts a little less detailed on the wood. Also some color variation.

I think you're missing the inner part of those wood supports on the base.
  • Gannon
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Took care of the metal base to make it seem more metal and less like stone, added the nails to the support and adjusted the rope to be more yellow. Not sure if I like it but it definitely contrasts better so that's good.

edit2: Any suggestions or tips for the lantern? it feels really bland and flat in comparison. I was hoping for a more rich look but when I try to saturate it looks terribly cartoony.

I kind of liked the negative space without the vertical supports so I'll probably keep it this way unless i get more comments on it.

lamppostwip2.jpg

edit:lawl forgot to paste the image link >_>
  • m4dcow
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Gannon wrote: »
    I'm not sure how to do it in maya. :-/
    • With your object selected. In the polygon menu color-create empty color set.
    • In color menu again select batch bake (Mental ray) Option Box.
    • "Bake to" should be set to vertices, check bake set override and set color mode to occlusion, click convert and close.
    • You model should now look black and white, to make the vert colors blend, go to color-color material channel and set it to diffuse, and then color-material blend setting and set that to multiply (Since it is for occlusion.
    I don't know how to bake to specific faces of a model, so since you probably only want this vertex AO or lighting on the rope (I assume since you have painted AO on your diffuse texture for the larger pieces) I would either seperate it from the rest of the model and bake, or after baking just flood all of the other faces with white.

Sometimes the vertex colors won't blend so make sure hardware texturing is enabled in the view menu of the viewport.

Depending on how your verts intersect you may get a not so good looking result, but the bake will provide a decent base where you can go in by hand to refine it.
  • Gannon
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    I think I'm just about to call this one finished. I wasn't sure how to blend the vertex baked lighting with the diffuse map in Maya so I'll probably throw this in UDK with the two maps and just lerp it there for my final presentation shot.

C&C welcome as always.

lamppostwip3.jpg
  • DaveSilver
    I think the lines between the planks on the barrel should be a little darker to make a better distinction but it still looks great as is. Good job.