Home General Discussion

3dsmax for the Mac

StephenVyas
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
Anyone think there's a chance we'll see this in the future?

I sure do love my mac, it's more powerful than my outdated PC. It's a shame that I'm not able to take full advantage of it with.

Replies

• Karmageddon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Karmageddon polycounter lvl 7
    I use Max on my macbook. It is a little confusing at first I'll admit, especially in the bottom left hand corner of the keyboard. But then again I'm running Windows on my Mac to make this happen.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    It'll happen, sooner or later.

AutoCAD just came (back) to the Mac, and the past few surveys I've filled in for Autodesk ask whether I would want a Mac version of Max, so they're considering it.

Of course we've got MudBox too and they are embracing iOS with a few apps here and there, AutoCAD WS is amazing here in the office for collaboration.

The only thing is, I can't imagine an OpenGL 3DS Max.
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    I remember the student download centre for Autodesk actually says 3DS Max is available for Mac; but then the "more info" part would say "Use with Parallels!" or something or other.

So they're clearly aware of this and I wouldn't be surprised to see it on Mac in the near future. What are the advantages of having software locked to one OS anyway?

Actually thinking more about it does anyone even know how these decisions are made? Is it central Autodesk making these, or do the teams working on each get a big input? It seems weird that Max is Windows only while MudBox even runs on Linux...
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Wesley wrote: »

Actually thinking more about it does anyone even know how these decisions are made? Is it central Autodesk making these, or do the teams working on each get a big input? It seems weird that Max is Windows only while MudBox even runs on Linux...

I think it's down to how the software was originally distributed. Obviously Autodesk didn't create 3DS or Maya, they just bought the companies that did and rebranded them. Maya was always available for Mac, so dropping Mac support would've been silly, and 3DS has never supported Mac, so they haven't added it.

I think it'll happen though, 2014 I reckon we'll see both Maya and Max running on OS X.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    TeeJay wrote: »
    The only thing is, I can't imagine an OpenGL 3DS Max.

You already have that option. In fact, I hope they do to a open gl shader engine for both platforms.. (A person for linux here. The sooner I can get away from windows, the better.).
  • Ozimul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can only hope it becomes available for Macs. My Windows computer pretty much fights me constantly when I'm using 3dsMax on it.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    oXYnary wrote: »
    You already have that option. In fact, I hope they do to a open gl shader engine for both platforms.. (A person for linux here. The sooner I can get away from windows, the better.).

really i don't get why you would bother trying to use 3ds on Linux or do any 3d work on Linux even if it was available.

sure you can customize the OS more to your liking than windows, and make it run a bit slimmer and faster, but almost all professional tools are made for windows, so that cuts you off to a lot of things that could help your work-flow. (xnormal, ndo2, udk, Marmoset Toolbag, etc)

hell even for web work where i mostly code using Linux tools like gvim, i just use the windows port and run the server in a VM, so i can still use Photoshop and not have to deal with rebooting comps to use different applications.

and no open-source linux OS will ever gain market share and have the adobe's, autodesk's and avid's of the world develop applications for.

oh btw this is coming from someone who used to use nothing but openSuSE and CentOS a few years back.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    passerby wrote: »
    sure you can customize the OS more to your liking than windows, and make it run a bit slimmer and faster, but almost all professional tools are made for windows, so that cuts you off to a lot of things that could help your work-flow. (xnormal, ndo2, udk, Marmoset Toolbag, etc)

You have just done the catch 22. Nothing is available for it, hence nothing is made for it.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    Would make sense to port to OSX, as more and more 3D titles are appearing on iOS. Cinema4D support for Unity is a little borked, native 3DS MAX would certainly be a refreshing solution.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary wrote: »
    You have just done the catch 22. Nothing is available for it, hence nothing is made for it.

will bigger problem than that, mostly being how the communities around linux distros like to rage against commercial software, and it is also pain in the ass to make software for linux and haven it just work for all the separate distros unelss you just supply the source-code and let there build services take care of the dependencies and compiling and packaging which isn't going to happen for obvious reasons.
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    I thought max was written in DOS or something like that so they would have to write max from the ground up again to be able to run on mac. At least that's what I remember someone from autodesk saying. It's completely windows based.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought max was written in DOS or something like that so they would have to write max from the ground up again to be able to run on mac. At least that's what I remember someone from autodesk saying. It's completely windows based.

ya maya has mac support and had linux support because it was written using QT toolkit which is a multi-platform set of libraries and gui toolkit but with 3ds it relies on a ton of windows only libs.