Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Medlabs Corridor - UDK (Image Heavy)

polygon
Offline / Send Message
EvilPixills polygon
EDIT: Finally added low poly wires and flats. C&C welcome.

Hello all,

This is my first major environment piece using UDK. My focus for this environment is to create a mostly sterile environment, with almost no wear/aging except for the floor and the corner structures which are focused on being the oldest structures in the corridor.

I would like as much honest feedback and critiques as possible, please :D

A few notes: Lighting is not final, some assets are still wip and the fan is actually rotating. Hoping to get a in-game fly through together soon so I can show off the animated materials.

Screenshots:

8hUW3.jpg

Quick and dirty renders of some High-Res Models:

qS2I5.jpg

Finally the low poly goods:

fkm59.jpg

6gRNb.jpg

elymQ.jpg

kAsoQ.jpg

CwlCP.jpg

HNdZl.jpg

bfJE5.jpg

7yIOC.jpg

vEAvK.jpg

Replies

• Aigik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love the architecture, and at this point my one complaint is that the lighting is so flat, but you said it's not final, so I guess that's a moot point. Good job so far, great modeling. I can't wait to see where this goes.
  • EvilPixills
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EvilPixills polygon
    Thanks, Aigik.

Currently I am using a lightmass importance volume for this. I am starting to wonder if that is necessary for this scene. Should I only use the lightmass importance volume for large outdoor scenes or would it be beneficial with something on this scale as well?
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Go ahead and use it. The main thing I suggest first is replacing any of the blue/white checker default material because when light bakes it bounces blue all over your level. Really overpower any look or style you're going for.
  • EvilPixills
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EvilPixills polygon
    Thanks a lot for the tip, cholden. I didn't know that and I was puzzled by some of the blue shading that was on some of my models.

Quick update before bed. I removed every light I had in my scene except for one spotlight. Now all the lighting is derived from the emissive map from the ceiling light fixtures.

7ueFP.jpg

Hoping to get some texture flats on here tomorrow sometime.
  • Shoy333
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Beautiful stuff here man keep er up!
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    get some specular going and add some variation and interest to the lighting.

scene seems kinda flat at the moment and the materials have no definition.

your highpoly's look great you jsut need to play with the material on your LP's more
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks a lot for the tip, cholden. I didn't know that and I was puzzled by some of the blue shading that was on some of my models.
    7ueFP.jpg

So you decided to make it have fruity rainbow patterns instead?
  • EvilPixills
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EvilPixills polygon
    Been a few weeks since I had time to work on this. Here are some updates. Started with the pillar lighting as well as added a base texture to the walls along with some reflection on some surfaces. I plan on finishing the wall texture up over the weekend. Let me know what you guys think. Still looking for as much feedback as possible with this, especially with the lighting. Thanks.

nDBlz.jpg

2qOiR.jpg
  • Shoy333
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So much awesomeness in here man only crits would be if you've already done your spec maps trying boosting them more because everything is looking a little flat and non metalic also your diff's could use some grunge and scratch's to help the realisticness of the surface's but so far it's looking really awesome keep pushing!
  • Rojo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good progress. The lighting is too busy.

Floor lighting is used to guide and direct people through aisles and corridors, anything else is doing the opposite. The emergency signs and other directional aids (floor level, key pads, etc) would be illuminated. You should focus on designing things for more logical and purposeful applications.

ZBuNJ.jpg
  • EvilPixills
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EvilPixills polygon
    @Shoy333- Thanks man. I agree with you on the spec maps, especially with the floor. I shall boost them up.

@Rojo- The lighting being busy as far as too much brightness? Or are you referring to too much glowy bits? I like your idea with illuminating the emergency signs.

Thanks again, fellas.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    for your lighting, for being what looks like fluorescent lights on the ceiling its super dark in there. the light doesnt even look be to casting onto the ground. I would chose a 2 tone color scheme and try to "paint" in areas of interest using value/color. get some hot spots on there to help with the composition. here is a quick paintover of what I mean. i would also be nice to get some sense of atmosphere in there with dust in the lights or some type of gas being subtley emitted from somewhere.

corridor_paintover.JPG
  • EvilPixills
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EvilPixills polygon
    for your lighting, for being what looks like fluorescent lights on the ceiling its super dark in there. the light doesnt even look be to casting onto the ground. I would chose a 2 tone color scheme and try to "paint" in areas of interest using value/color. get some hot spots on there to help with the composition. here is a quick paintover of what I mean. i would also be nice to get some sense of atmosphere in there with dust in the lights or some type of gas being subtley emitted from somewhere.

Thanks so much for taking the time to do this paint over, PixelMasher. I was very excited to see it. This helps tremendously. Thanks again! :)
  • Rojo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry, probably need to clarify, I'm referring to all the little glowing pieces as being too busy. They look cool on the individual assets, but when you combine all those bits into a scene, it becomes visual noise.

It is much less apparent the brighter the scene gets, I don't mind them so much in PixelMasher's paintover. But you could improve the scene composition and aid gameplay by giving the lighting a purpose, by using it to draw the eye and guide players like bugs to a lantern.
  • euclidius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    euclidius polycounter lvl 17
    Been a few weeks since I had time to work on this. Here are some updates. Started with the pillar lighting as well as added a base texture to the walls along with some reflection on some surfaces. I plan on finishing the wall texture up over the weekend. Let me know what you guys think. Still looking for as much feedback as possible with this, especially with the lighting. Thanks.

nDBlz.jpg

2qOiR.jpg

I like this type of lighting- just has that crisp movie look to it- nice work man-
  • EvilPixills
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EvilPixills polygon
    Here's a quick lighting pass I did to get the base of what PixelMasher demonstrated. Obviously I have a lot to push but just wanted to get things in place for now.I also added in some fog for atmosphere and some basic crap for the fan that needs much attention.

I have been busy optimizing my meshes as well as textures/materials. Spent a good chunk of my day getting uv's ready for lightmaps. As you can see there are some lightmaps that need some work but for now this is where I stand:

VvoBs.jpg

Thanks again for the input guys, I really appreciate it. Keep it coming :D
  • EvilPixills
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EvilPixills polygon
    Here's another update. Hope I get some feedback this time.

-Pushed the lighting some more.
    -Crates are now textured.
    -Finished up wall textures and Material.
    -Added in some random junk.
    -Additional material and other under the hood optimizations.

Still looking for critiques on lighting as well as everything else. I will post some texture flats as well as the low poly stuff later today. Thanks guys.

y2Dww.jpg
    Ktqbh.jpg
    UnJ5o.jpg
  • Stitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work so far.

Here's some constructive feedback for you:

Consider adding some small points of coloured light (like Epic uses on all of the Gears' armour) on your environment assets such as doors or floor pieces.

The bright circular vents on the walls near the floor look too flat and too bright. Try using either extra geo or a bump offset to push the lightsource back a few inches behind the vent grate. Also consider leaving a dark circle in the middle of the emissive circle to suggest an air duct that recedes further into wall out of sight.

Consider adding some smoke, steam, fog or dust effects. This could go nicely around your lights and along the floor or ceiling. You could also add some vertex-painted condensation in the material on walls near any steam effects.

Try and push your post-processing. Some more contrast between highlights and shadows would make the lighting look a lot more successful.

Adding custom lens flares and bokeh shapes would give this a real nice sci-fi film feel.

Hope this helps - keep on truckin!
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Good progress!

I agree with most of what Stitch says, especially with the floor and little colored lights.

But in my opinion I wouldn't add any bokeh or more atmosphere effects, unless they are actually coming from something and there's a reason to have fog/steam/smoke. I wouldn't expect to see a lot of that sort of thing in a clean sci fi corridor like yours (yeah sure in a more gritty/dirty Alien style corridor though). And fog/steam/smoke could ruin some of the nice tonal variation you have in your textures.

Watching this, looking good.
  • EvilPixills
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EvilPixills polygon
    @Stitch - Thanks for the feedback! Thanks for pointing out the vents on the wall. I will be sure to polish them up some. I have added in some lights by the doors; you can see the results in my next update.

As for adding lights to the floors, i'm not sure how it's gonna work, I already have point lights there to show lighting from the ceiling fixtures. If I add in some more it may wash the floor out. Maybe I should tweak the ones already there?

I have been reading up on particles and plan on adding in some steam/smoke in subtle ways, especially with my ceiling fan. I also already have fog in the scene, maybe I could try boosting it a bit. And as far as post processing goes, I shall mess around with some settings.

@Fomori - Thanks, man! I was reading up on bokeh shapes and such, and while it sounds interesting and something I would like to try, it is not possible for me to implement into my scene as I am still running a DX9 video card :( From what I have read bokeh is only possible with DX11.

Keep it coming!
  • EvilPixills
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EvilPixills polygon
    I finally got around to putting together some low poly stuff as well as some flats for my models. Stuck them in the 1st post since this page is getting lengthy.

Updates:

-Did some more lighting. Added in some spot lights on the walls and some point lights on the doors.

-Added in some particle effects; frost coming from the ceiling fan, steam and heat shimmer coming from the lower wall ducts, and some subtle dust around the lights.

-Been messing around with some post processing. Added in some bloom and Dof (which will be in the next update once I get my lighting finalized). Below are 3 images of different lighting/color ranges. I would like your feedback as to which one is more appealing/looks better or do they all suck? Thanks, guys.

FVFt7.jpg
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhoutermans polycounter lvl 12
    I like nr3 best. Perhaps turn 1 of the lights off? to get some variation in there. Nice progress!
  • Alex3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex3d polycounter lvl 9
    I like #1. Cool hallway so far. I don't really like the blinding light coming from the pillar, because thats where my eyes stay most of the time; Tone them down a bit. Also push your spec man, everything looks flat!
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    1 and 3 are good. Don't go with 2.
  • cain3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow man, looking great! this is the main reason I respect this community so much helping each other, look at your before and after. amazing difference already, keep it up!!
  • EvilPixills
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EvilPixills polygon
    So had some time to revisit this scene and really improve on what I had as well as adding in some new elements.

I will compile a list later of all the specifics but just comparing the new renders with my previous ones will give you an idea :)

Here are a few quick screens right out of UDK. Critiques are welcome and I look forward to your comments/crits.

LAwd4.jpg

B02TE.jpg

x1GqF.jpg
  • RaPtoR_v9600
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RaPtoR_v9600 polycounter lvl 4
    Great work like the environment very much, and lightning is great so far, maybe try to darker the lights just a bit
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wester polycounter lvl 13
    Looking good

The lighting is alittle weak to me. I would say to unify the lighting color palette alittle better. Have the greens from both ends of the hallway connect by another strip of green lights in the middle to help lead the eye to points of interest. In this case the doors, and then the path to the doors. I think that purple/light blue light color at the top is throwing the color theory on the whole room off.

This way when you add your monitors you were talking about they can be a nice accent color like a deep blue or deep red.

Here's a quick lighting paintover of what I meant.
    paintover-8.jpg

Hope this helps! Looks really nice so far!
  • EvilPixills
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EvilPixills polygon
    Thanks for taking the time to do the paint over, wester! It really does make the scene pop more. I will get on that asap.

Your work is awesome btw!
  • EvilPixills
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EvilPixills polygon
    Here is an update on the lighting.

Tweaked ceiling lights color from a purplish tint to a more greenish to go along with the doors.

Also toned down the lighting from the support columns as it was a tad over powering. Crits and comments are still welcome!

faXBC.jpg
  • MisterSande
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MisterSande polycounter lvl 8
    the last version looks fantastic man. Great job and very inspiring!