Home General Discussion

Wacom releases new Bamboo line!

for the budget constrained, great tablet options you have!

http://www.wacom.com/en/Products/Bamboo/BambooTablets.aspx

I have the old Bamboo Pen and Touch (now replaced by an Intuos4 L), and apart from the size not fitting the way I work (hence the L :P), I found it a very very good tablet to use.
Dont let the pressure levels fool you, as its the same as we used just fine in the high end lines only a few years ago.
1024 is enough for 99% of the work we usually do.

Looks like its at a nice price point too.
200 bucks for the big one, and a 100 bucks for the smaller one.

edit: oh and they have wireless options for em! (that you can add later)

Replies

• Mcejn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
    Definitely cool.

Make my first tablet look like shit.
  • VPrime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VPrime polycounter lvl 9
    I still have an old Graphire 2 that I am using............ Maybe time to upgrade :)
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    o they look sexy

same prices? :)
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    And now I need 200 or so dollars.
    Maybe I could sell my old one <_<
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    Pretty sexy, I have the old Bamboo Pen(on top of that i got it used). I think it is time to get that Create!
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    The bamboos interest me because the do pen and touch input at the same time. I wish the new Cintiq had that.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Nice, optional wireless, $40 for the battery and adapter.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    Cool, I never liked the feel of the old Bamboo but this is great for those starting out.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    How does it differ from the old bamboo again? =\
  • PhattyEwok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhattyEwok polycounter lvl 9
    Nitewalkr wrote: »
    How does it differ from the old bamboo again? =\

this:)
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Wireless and refined design.

Looks good to me!
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    didn't anything actually change, just looks like it has a different form factor now and a slightly more comfortable looking pen.
  • DeeKei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well if you dont have a tablet, this seems like a very good entry level item.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    DeeKei wrote: »
    Well if you dont have a tablet, this seems like a very good entry level item.

The only thing entry level about the medium sized one is their marketing.

I'm pretty sure my Intuos3 only has 1024 levels of sensitivity, and I've never thought 'man I'd love another 1024 levels'. We only have to take a quick look at the art being produced on the Inutos3, heck, even earlier models, and we can see that clearly nobody really needs 2048 levels. If my 3 broke today, I'd much sooner buy one of these than an Inutos4, they look great!

I reckon far more people would buy these if they dropped the 'beginner' stigma attached to them... of course, fewer people would buy the Intuos4 then I suppose.

Of course, if you need a bigger tablet, or love the extra buttons on an Intuos then fine, but I've been really attracted to this Bamboo line since the previous generation of them, I think they're amazing for the price.
  • erroldynamic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    erroldynamic polycounter lvl 18
    Cool. I definitely could use an upgrade...
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    Wow, those are impressive. Everything I make is on an old Bamboo I got for $60. They're great tablets, and have a nice feel to them. I have an Intuos 3, but prefer my bamboo. I have no idea how many sensitivity levels it has, and I couldn't care less. It works flawlessly for me.

But the nib is wearing away, so I'm gonna have to get a new one soon-ish. I'll probably get another Bamboo, I love the feel of them, and that they don't take up my entire desk.
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Jeremy-S, I'd consider replacing the nib first if that's the only problem. It's actually very simple.

Does anyone have experience with touch+pen in ZBrush? You could Move/rotate/scale with touch and sculpt with the pen, sounds like it could be good.
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah, I don't think mine came with replacement nibs. And the nib that's in there is not coming out. This tablet was made (I think) mainly for signatures, and the like. I'm not finding anything on replacement nibs

[EDIT] Seems there's replacement pens, so YAY!! Found some nibs too, but I seriously can't get this one out of the pen...
  • DeeKei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TeeJay wrote: »
    The only thing entry level about the medium sized one is their marketing.

I'm pretty sure my Intuos3 only has 1024 levels of sensitivity, and I've never thought 'man I'd love another 1024 levels'. We only have to take a quick look at the art being produced on the Inutos3, heck, even earlier models, and we can see that clearly nobody really needs 2048 levels. If my 3 broke today, I'd much sooner buy one of these than an Inutos4, they look great!

I reckon far more people would buy these if they dropped the 'beginner' stigma attached to them... of course, fewer people would buy the Intuos4 then I suppose.

Of course, if you need a bigger tablet, or love the extra buttons on an Intuos then fine, but I've been really attracted to this Bamboo line since the previous generation of them, I think they're amazing for the price.

The bamboo I bought back a few years ago (the first generation) was the first tablet I ever used. Comparing this one to that is unbelievable and I agree what you say. As long as this product provides the same feel as the one I used back then with the specs of intuos 3 then I think any consumer is getting a very good deal.

Still, you can't underestimate the intuos4. Many beg to differ but I personally feel very comfortable using that compared to the intuos3, and possibly this one. Then again, I never used the intuos3 much and transferred from a bamboo to the 4 so it mightve been that people was more used to using the 3.
  • Gusti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    with my old bamboo pen+touch tablet, I always turned the touch off when doing anything serious as it would occationally pick up my hand while trying to use the pen (if my hand hit the tablet first).

The touch feature would work exactly like the pen in Z, since you have to hold alt.. And its limited to two finger inputs (Atleast the older model is) so pinch zooming in Z does not work.
    It basically is like a poor mans version of Apples touch pad thingy when it comes to how the touch features work.
    Two finger rotate in Photoshop worked when I used mine on the iMac at work, but never got it to work on my pc at home for some reason. I think it was due to the horribly idiotic built in pen/touch drivers Microsoft have in in windows since Win Vista came out.
    Not used the bamboo in a while now so I dunno if its been fixed or changed.