Home General Discussion

If you didn't close a thread? (Worst Case Scenario)

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
Would the world end? Would Polycounters be hiring assassins to kill another member? I mean, in theory, whats the worse that could happen? Would it somehow tarnish the sites reputation forever and ever and no one would join or come anymore? Do we simply need needing a holding hand from our peers to keep us from regressing to children?

Replies

• Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Would the world end?
    Yes.
    Would Polycounters be hiring assassins to kill another member?
    Yes.
    I mean, in theory, whats the worse that could happen?
    No more Polycount.
    Would it somehow tarnish the sites reputation forever and ever and no one would join or come anymore?
    Yes.
    Do we simply need needing a holding hand from our peers to keep us from regressing to children?
    Keep us from regressing into children? Have you never seen an off-topic thread on Polycount before? 90% of us are half-way there. The other 10% have already arrived.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Polycount's about game art, not political/topical discussion. If threads start loosing focus they get closed.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    My girlfriend frequents a forum with light moderation, it's a hive of scum and villainy.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    This site would end. Not the world.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm soooooo tempted to close this thread...
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    oXYnary wrote: »
    Would the world end?

Close this thread, lets find out.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm soooooo tempted to close this thread...

you have no idea :)

edit[beaten to it]
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok.

test scenario #1 down.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Fancy that!...The world didn't end......or maybe it did and we are all just imagining it, maybe the world never existed....
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    My girlfriend frequents a forum with light moderation, it's a hive of scum and villainy.

Are you saying your girlfriend is... Never mind, it's too easy.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Would the world end? Would Polycounters be hiring assassins to kill another member? I mean, in theory, whats the worse that could happen? Would it somehow tarnish the sites reputation forever and ever and no one would join or come anymore? Do we simply need needing a holding hand from our peers to keep us from regressing to children?

So far as I can tell, the only thing that people could be so afraid about is having to read opinions they don't agree with, and having to relate to views different than their own. Given that; the "worst" that'd happen is that people's world views would be challenged. Maybe even changed.

So I guess in a way, maybe people are afraid of the[ir] world ending. ;)

(I doubt anyone's really going to have their views altered that much by a forum though, so I don't get the hubbub)

Though maybe I'm off the rocker on that. I haven't been able to figure out any other reason for the love of "moderation", but there very well could be good ones. :P
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    seriously though. If threads that become argumentative and emotional were allowed to carry on. I would say a lot of PCers would have a lot of hate for other PCers. Some threads need to be closed, that way we can be all smiley happy PCers before it gets out of hand.
  • Adam L. Gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So... you're asking what would happen if certain threads, that are getting out of hand, didn't get closed?

Let me answer that with a quote!
    i heard you liek mudkipz
    - Anon
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    We live in a PC world (pun intended) so people are going to get all prissy on certain things being. The people who will suffer for this, will be the guys running polycount.

I don't about you guys, but if I was a Mod, I would do the same thing, close any iffy threads. Last thing I need is someone PM'ing and telling me Mr. X said a sexist homophobic joke, in a thread about Slave Trade Children.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    If I was king I'd lock any thread that looked at me sideways.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah, I used to visit a large forum that had a moderated gen chat subforum, and a free-for-all gen chat subforum. The moderated chat one was a lot like gen chat here at PC. The other was a complete and total shit-show, and almost got the whole site shutdown a couple times.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, fuck these Nazi mods!

Who do they think they are, closing all of our political and religious threads, you know, by far the most productive threads ever on polycount!?!?

Seriously Oxy, spend less time worrying about the world's problems on a game art forum, and more time, you know... Making game art, it couldn't hurt.

If you have an issue with what we're doing here, be an adult and contact a mod. This sort of thread is just completely passive aggressive.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    so how about that

Christianity

you have no clue how mad that makes programmers and science nerds go off
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    if a certain spinning thread wasn't closed

let's just say many jobs would not have been had
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    Polycount's about game art, not political/topical discussion. If threads start loosing focus they get closed.

In my last thread (since its related to that) I highly expected that thread to stay on topic. I didnt realize it would derail and end up in a complete odd state. I apologize.

I was going to pm the admin and request them to close it to be honest. =\
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Nitewalkr, link?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adam: view public profile -> stats -> view threads created by Nitewalkr... Lazy mods! =P

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89212
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Forums with zero moderation are an absolute mess. Arguments devolve past the point where logic and reason can even be called into play, and simply become name calling pissing matches that make everyone involved look like a complete idiot.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    I noticed that these topics jump up every month after a heated topic...I sense a pattern!
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    Ah, I finally get to use this:

20110508133133.jpg
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    If you have an issue with what we're doing here, be an adult and contact a mod. This sort of thread is just completely passive aggressive.

WHO ME?? :D

Yea, your right. But I like outing dirty laundry sometimes. Especially for something unspoken that more than one has thought about. Its good for the community. Keeps it interesting and you guys on your toes.

I am doing art (not at the moment of this typing, but neither are you when you posted that, so we both are screwed by your logic, huh?).

Edit: Besides, who would I contact? Every single moderator on the site to ask them the question?
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hboybowen wrote: »
    if its something urgent the irc is where I go.

Last I was there unless its changed, it was even more Off Topic than this section 90% of the time.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Last I was there unless its changed, it was even more Off Topic than this section 90% of the time.

it's always offtopic, but several of the mods and admins are there daily.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Im with oXY on this. So some threads get heated. The heat stays in that thread. Only if it leaks out to people flaming other peoples art threads because of an argument in another thread should mods step in and deal with the offending posts (in the second, unrelated thread). I find the discussion is only getting going when Polycount mods close it.

Feels like I'm being babysat here sometimes. Maybe if we sense a lock on a completely valid thread (yes, its an art board, but I like discussing stuff with people on this board) we could create a G+ huddle or something.

Instead of locking threads, why can't mods take part in the thread? Steer it back to where it should be? Warn deliberately trolling posters?

There's a beer thread, that has nothing to do with games, maybe that should be locked too. As I find peoples opposing views on the best beer very offensive, and it ruins my day, and I can't make game art then.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas wrote: »
    Instead of locking threads, why can't mods take part in the thread? Steer it back to where it should be? Warn deliberately trolling posters?

Because they assume that, when you agree to their code of conduct right before joining the Polycount, you actually mean it. :)

Hell, would you be able to go to every thread and try to steer it back in to topic? Not unless you are getting paid $20 bucks an hour...It is a real painful job.

Even than they are easy going.
    There's a beer thread, that has nothing to do with games, maybe that should be locked too. As I find peoples opposing views on the best beer very offensive, and it ruins my day, and I can't make game art then.

Threads that are off topic from their origin, I am pretty sure if people start posting tea and coffee brands in that Beer thread, EarthQuake is going to close that one too. <.<
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nitewalkr wrote: »
    Because they assume that, when you agree to their code of conduct when joining the Polycount, you actually mean it.

You are going to have to be more specific.
    Besides they dont get paid enough to baby sit every thread that gets off topic. :)

2,3 threads a month? Really? Cause thats how many threads there are in GD that are about sensitive subjects from the beginning.
    Threads that are off topic from their origin, I am pretty sure if people start posting tea and coffee brands in that EarthQuake is going to close that one too. <.<

We can have a beer and booze thread, but not a tea and coffee types thread? Cause I was actually going to start one of those. Its relevant to us, and people can share their favourite brands/sites for buying online.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    Given that this is an art and industry board first and foremost, I'd rather have heavy-handed moderation.

People's expectations and behavior naturally seek to 'fit in' and reach the average quality of the posting and discussions. If you leave a bunch of horseshit terrible threads around, then that lowers expectations and behavior.

Finally, I'd really want to remind everyone that while polycount is totally cool, a bunch of your co-workers and/or future co-workers post here, so perhaps participating in or creating or feeding the sorts of threads that get locked all the time is not a wise career decision.

Most people understand that the internet and workplace professionalism are two different worlds, but there is no point in making a wrong impression with someone you may find on the opposite side of the hiring table at one point.

@Andreas, he's talking about adding that stuff to the booze thread, not making a new one.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    God would you let me edit my post before quoting? >.<

Anyways

You are going to have to be more specific.

In other words, they dont expect too much trolling here (I think thats what they meant by "dont be a dick.")
    2,3 threads a month? Really? Cause thats how many threads there are in GD that are about sensitive subjects from the beginning.

You expect them to keep all threads that contain sensitive subjects in check? They can, like, posting a warning in threads that are off, generally warning everyone to calm down and get back on topic. But I thought many of us are mature enough to keep our selves in check on our own while posting.
    We can have a beer and booze thread, but not a tea and coffee types thread? Cause I was actually going to start one of those. Its relevant to us, and people can share their favourite brands/sites for buying online.

I was trying to give you an example about an off topic thread. =\

EDIT1: Like they said, if you have any problems about them closing threads and keeping control here, than you should pm instead.

EDIT2: And make that Trolling, discussing something completely irrelevant to the main topic in the threads, inflammatory debates, etc. = Being dicks. (Thats what I assumed to understand when I read the code of conduct)

I agree with you, that they should just post a warning, stating that everyone should cool down and get back to the topic of the thread if its getting out of hands, and I disagree with you at the same time, because many of us are mature enough to know that the topic is getting out of hands or off the main topic, step back, observe, and fix without being moderated.

I am editing this post* because this was suppose to be my last post in this thread, explaining to you my understanding about "2-3 threads being closed a month."

Ghostscape wrote: »
    Given that this is an art and industry board first and foremost, I'd rather have heavy-handed moderation.

People's expectations and behavior naturally seek to 'fit in' and reach the average quality of the posting and discussions. If you leave a bunch of horseshit terrible threads around, then that lowers expectations and behavior.

Finally, I'd really want to remind everyone that while polycount is totally cool, a bunch of your co-workers and/or future co-workers post here, so perhaps participating in or creating or feeding the sorts of threads that get locked all the time is not a wise career decision.

Most people understand that the internet and workplace professionalism are two different worlds, but there is no point in making a wrong impression with someone you may find on the opposite side of the hiring table at one point.

Well said. Lets all read this last quote, acknowledge, and move on. :)
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In other words, they dont expect too much trolling here (I think thats what they meant by "dont be a dick.")

That doesn't explain why they cant partake in these threads if needed, to gently steer things back to acceptable levels of discussion. Surely they have an opinion on these things too, no?

I also really dislike people throwing that ironically stupid and moronic 'troll' tag around here. Guys, if someone has a strong opinion, or is presenting an opposing view to yours, they are not 'a troll'. The amount of actual trolls active on this board is nearly nil. Under 2 anyways. A troll is someone who deliberately incites for their own amusement. If it seems like they offer a genuine argument to a point, its not trolling.
  • Tenchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That doesn't explain why they cant partake in these threads if needed, to gently steer things back to acceptable levels of discussion.

Is that possible in high charged threads with differing opinions? I just see escalation till the thread is locked.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tenchi wrote: »
    I just see escalation till the thread is locked.

I don't understand, you quoted my solution to that :P

Its entirely possible. Here look.

Thread title: My favourite colour.

OP: I LIKE GREEN WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE COLOUR

Me: I like yellow.

OP: YOU'RE STUPID YELLOW IS FOR GIRLS AND BANANAS ARE YELLOW AND THEY TASTE TERRIBLE WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE FRUIT???

(Enter EarthQuake)

EarthQuake: Now now keep things civil and on-topic or I'll spank you. I like pink. Here is a nice article I was reading about pink the other day (thread)

et cetera
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Honestly, how many threads get closed a yeah? Less than a dozen? They are ALWAYS the ones that stream off topic and get vile no matter what anyone(moderator or otherwise) says to try and steer it back on topic. Seriously, political and religious threads, what makes you think that oh "this one will be different"?

Just get over it guys, there are PLENTY of websites on the internet to discuss these issues, and everyone has been told multiple times, polycount is not the place.

Also, there is a massive difference between an off-topic, but harmless and actually productive thread like the beer/booze thread, and threads that 100% of the time end in vitriolic arguing and flaming. If the beer thread turns into a heated debate over guineas and old stripe, ending in multiple users flaming/generally acting like assholes, that will be closed too. (This is very unlikely)

Honestly, part of moderating a community is upsetting a handful of the vocal minority that get involved in these threads every single time, and we're not going to change the way things work around here just to please some people who get a kick out of bitching/trolling useless political and religious threads. This has been the stance that we've stuck by for YEARS, why would we change now?

Nobody likes to close threads, I personally really try to avoid it, but sometimes it needs to be done. Our job involves looking at the greater picture.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

This would be absolutely fine.

What wouldn't be fine is a "Hey what is your favorite religion?" "Hey what is your favorite political party?" - for very obvious reasons.

I know people like to be over zealous about the whole "not your blog" thing, but a thread talking about food or drink, actually discussing something, is a big difference between a thread that is started to say "Oh hey i ate a burrito and now I got diarrhea LOLOLOL". - That would be a blog type post. Or "My mom won't let me have coffee, she's so mean!".

We're not going to police every thread and kill off all the off-topic ones, but the combination of off-topic and clearly destructive type threads will be dealt with.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    [REMOVED]

Joe (EQ) nailed it on the head with his replies above mine.
  • PatrickL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatrickL polycounter lvl 9
    I think anyone who has browsed their fair share of forums know that moderation is inevitable. You can't solve religion, or the death penalty by just pushing your opinion in a thread till it hits a few hundred pages. Those types of threads get locked because they spawn more ill will than hope 99.99999999% of the time.

There are plenty of forums that have moderation that make nazi concentration camps look like kindergarten. I have never seen anything even remotely similar here at Polycount, and it's one of the reasons I keep coming back.

This comes to mind when on the topic of forum moderators: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqLoQiMT6WE&quot;]Russian Police - Stern but fair - YouTube[/ame]
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    Forums without moderation defenately work, you just need to limit the user count to say 5 people
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Forums without moderation defenately work, you just need to limit the user count to say 5 people

and make it read only
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    actually productive thread like the beer/booze thread,

I'm being facetious, but the way you termed that seems funny as I know you mean it promotes goodwill for the alcohol drinkers on here. Purely from the objective though, it doesn't relate to art, unless all artists must be booze hounds (don't answer that :D )?

I guess what I'm saying in lets just be honest. The rules here are enforced by people. People with opinions. You even show your own bias EQ,
    Honestly, part of moderating a community is upsetting a handful of the vocal minority that get involved in these threads every single time, and we're not going to change the way things work around here just to please some people who get a kick out of bitching/trolling useless political and religious threads

Truthfully, its not that big a deal about closed threads. I just interpret it sometimes being self serving which threads are scrutinized while others are not. I wish there would be more honesty in that.
  • DEElekgolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DEElekgolo interpolator
    I'll put a sign with your name on my front lawn so you can come over and fight me.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm being facetious, but the way you termed that seems funny as I know you mean it promotes goodwill for the alcohol drinkers on here. Purely from the objective though, it doesn't relate to art, unless all artists must be booze hounds (don't answer that :D )?

Please read all posts.
    I know people like to be over zealous about the whole "not your blog" thing, but a thread talking about food or drink, actually discussing something, is a big difference between a thread that is started to say "Oh hey i ate a burrito and now I got diarrhea LOLOLOL". - That would be a blog type post. Or "My mom won't let me have coffee, she's so mean!".

We're not going to police every thread and kill off all the off-topic ones, but the combination of off-topic and clearly destructive type threads will be dealt with.
    I guess what I'm saying in lets just be honest. The rules here are enforced by people. People with opinions. You even show your own bias EQ,

Truthfully, its not that big a deal about closed threads. I just interpret it sometimes being self serving which threads are scrutinized while others are not. I wish there would be more honesty in that.
    Did I have some sort of vested interest in that thread? Did I even post in that thread? How could you possibly know that I closed the thread because of biased reasons?

Truth be told, that thread was a classic example of the typical political flame-bait thread, AND we got complaints about the torture/gore photos that were posted in it. We like to keep GD relatively worksafe.

I guess if you're accusing me of being a human and using my own judgement as when to close threads, guilty as charged?
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tumblr_lgld0bvC3w1qce7cdo1_500.gif

the torture/gore photos

Damn I missed those :(
  • Crash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crash polycounter lvl 18
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did I have some sort of vested interest in that thread? Did I even post in that thread? How could you possibly know that I closed the thread because of biased reasons?

Truth be told, that thread was a classic example of the typical political flame-bait thread, AND we got complaints about the torture/gore photos that were posted in it. We like to keep GD relatively worksafe.

I guess if you're accusing me of being a human and using my own judgement as when to close threads, guilty as charged?

FWIW. I wasn't referencing one thread nor are you alone in this. It was a general statement of all moderators. Hell, I don't even know what thread your referencing.

Now back to polycount, already in progress.
  • PhattyEwok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhattyEwok polycounter lvl 9
    Was thinking of simple solutions and what if Polycount had one thread under general discussion NOT stickied labeled.

Controversial Thread(UnModerated):

Give it some ground rules:
    Rule 1: No gruesome pictures or grotesque/hardcore Porn
    Rule 2: No solicitation of Illegal activities.(Mainly Links to pirated content)
    Rule 3: Have at it!

Then if anyone wants to start a political topic or start some A vs B rage they can do it here and the warning tag is like a giant "DON'T CLICK ME IF EASILY OFFENDED" tag.