Home General Discussion

Chinese Prisoners

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
I think its a general section, where we can share anything related to games but this one is very remotely related but I must share.

Chinese Prisoners Allegedly Forced to Play 'World of Warcraft'

Replies

• MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    Thank you chin-wong, suspected murder and rapist, for getting me to 85!
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Oh, what a disgusting news story :/
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    They dug trenches, broke rocks, and were put on night hour shift in playing WoW, and if they didn't meet the quota, they were beat with Plastic pipes?

It's pretty hardcore, and raises so many questions, it's not even funny.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ganemi wrote: »
    This has been going on for what seems to be a really long time. I wonder who didn't know about this?

Last thing that I heard about WOW in China was this

So they are farming gold for the game that is officially banned in China... =\
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    thats some crazy shit. but then again its China, its a given shit like this happen in china=P (yea and I'm asian)
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    It's more like a "soft" ban. Since most Chinese have no credit card, even less one that can be used to buy from foreign stores, they're stuck with the local version (sans skeletons'n'zombies). But as long as you have a foreign CC nobody stops you playing EU/US WoW. Latency can be annoying, but it's ok if you don't PvP.

Although playing WoW seems like one of the better things that can happen to you in a Chinese prison....
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm wrote: »
    It's more like a "soft" ban. Since most Chinese have no credit card, even less one that can be used to buy from foreign stores, they're stuck with the local version (sans skeletons'n'zombies). But as long as you have a foreign CC nobody stops you playing EU/US WoW. Latency can be annoying, but it's ok if you don't PvP.

Although playing WoW seems like one of the better things that can happen to you in a Chinese prison....

There is a huge difference between forcefully playing a game for Gold farming and playing it willingly to ease off your stress (even if you endup raging and getting more stress. <.<)
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    just saying, there's probably worse things that they could force you to do in a Chinese prison. Ranging from pollution cleanup, smashing rocks and other hard manual labour, working in open at -30 degrees in inner mongolia.

If a Chinese prison is a sweatshop on steroids, then it may be better to have a mouse in your hand than a hammer or a pick.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Oh. So they punish their criminals?

Imagine that.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    JacqueChoi wrote: »

Imagine that.

+1
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17

Imagine that.

There's a defined difference between punishment and slavery/profiteering.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    ambershee wrote: »
    There's a defined difference between punishment and slavery/profiteering.

Are you insinuating the US prison system is better? It's not profiteering if they're losing money paying for what's essentially a low-end hostel.

They're so overcrowded they simply let their criminals go.

Not sure what the issue is, if they're made to do something useful (aka bring in money). Isn't it nice, they're lessening the burden on taxpayers?
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Are you insinuating the US prison system is better? It's not profiteering if they're losing money paying for what's essentially a low-end hostel.

Not sure what the issue is, if they're made to do something useful (aka bring in money). Isn't it nice, they're lessening the burden on taxpayers?

I read a couple of articles about this and it was the guards making the money. I don't disagree with your sentiment but this sounds more like an abuse of power and torture.
  • Noodle!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noodle! polycounter lvl 8

There's so many things wrong here.

First of all, to get into prison in China you really don't have to be a criminal. You can be a journalist.

Secondly, slave labor is wrong no matter where it is. It's wrong in a US prison, it's wrong in a Chinese prison. Bad conditions in a US prison doesn't make bad conditions right in a Chinese prison.

Getting tortured if you don't gather enough gold when they're so tired they can barely see straight?

I guess I'm a bit crazy when I support human rights. I don't think prison should be a vacation, but I definitely don't condone torture or disproportionate punishment.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    So your concern is with the safety of the prisoners?

China has it's problems, but it's naive to think the US prison system is any safer. Throw a black guy in with a few neo-nazi's and see how long he lasts. Child molesters are treated so ruthlessly, they get separated (which costs the state more money), and then put out on the street early (99.9% re-offend rate with this one BTW).

You're talking that slave labor is wrong in prison? I thought freedom is something that's given up when they GO to prison.

BTW, I don't take the criminals account at face value. Seems a little sensationalized to me for more exciting journalism. Like do you know what happens when inmates don't meet their quotas for license plate manufacturing or whatever it is they're doing now?
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    You're ignoring Noodles point, that China puts journalists/religious leaders/people that speak out against the government in jail too; which is my question too. Not that playing WoW is that bad, but yeah I don't really approve of the plastic pipes bit.

And yeah this is a pretty old story. To be honest I'm more concerned that they may be world #1 economically in the next few months if the US goes in for a double dip. The US can be a messed up place, but its not populated by people who have gender selective abortions like they are going out of fashion, and occasionally even leave new born girls to die in the gutter. Not to mention their human rights abuses/censorship issues...The ramifications of a collective mind like that knowing they are the most powerful in the world makes me worry about the next 20/30 years.

Just something I worry about on the bus on the way to work. :P

Throw a black guy in with a few neo-nazi's and see how long he lasts.

Hmm, I find this pretty sensationalist, but you critisized sensationalism in the same post.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Kwramm wrote: »
    just saying, there's probably worse things that they could force you to do in a Chinese prison. Ranging from pollution cleanup, smashing rocks and other hard manual labour, working in open at -30 degrees in inner mongolia.

If a Chinese prison is a sweatshop on steroids, then it may be better to have a mouse in your hand than a hammer or a pick.

from the article:

"Liu Dali, a former prisoner at the Jixi labor camp in northeast China, told the Guardian that he spent his days breaking rocks and digging trenches and his nights playing video games."

this isn't a case of gold farming instead of hard labor, this is hard labor and then gold farming instead of sleeping.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12

China has it's problems, but it's naive to think the US prison system is any safer. Throw a black guy in with a few neo-nazi's and see how long he lasts. Child molesters are treated so ruthlessly, they get separated (which costs the state more money), and then put out on the street early (99.9% re-offend rate with this one BTW).

You're talking that slave labor is wrong in prison? I thought freedom is something that's given up when they GO to prison.

BTW, I don't take the criminals account at face value. Seems a little sensationalized to me for more exciting journalism. Like do you know what happens when inmates don't meet their quotas for license plate manufacturing or whatever it is they're doing now?

Did you know in China, the propaganda war in the internet got so bad, that the government has hired an army of posters to post 'pro' governmental comments? If a person if found to be a 'repeated' offender, they're taken to jail.

For example, if I get an unjust ticket, because my sister didn't want to sleep with the chief of police, and I make a post about it, on a random blog, over 500 comments will come in claiming that I'm wrong, hence persuading populace opinion on my issue. If I do it again, several times, I'm deemed as a threat, hence, once tracked down, I can very easily be taken away, and no one would hear about me.

Issue with the problem? Prisoners, that could be very easily be civilians that were trying to protect their loved ones, from someone who has too many connections in the right places, can end up in such a situation. Sorry to say this, but I can see the point you're making, but regardless of that, you're simplifying the situation WAY too much.

Blind justice is just as damaging as free justice.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Sure they need to be punished, and I think that having them work to leverage jail costs is a good solution. It's also definitely a good thing to keep prisoners occupied too, because it reduces violence.

But not in the current situation: the money doesn't go towards the state but to corrupt officials instead, and the amount of work and the punishments for not meeting quotas are a bit excessive.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not to mention sleep deprevation is proven to make people far more aggressive, so the violence within the jails may get worse as well.
  • Noodle!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I like how you ignored that I said it's just as bad that it happens in a US prison as in a Chinese prison. I'm very much against the way the US prison system works.

And while you give up your freedom, you don't give up your humanity. I think if a person does wrong he should be punished, but not to the extent that any sort of hardship can be put upon him with the only argument being that he is a prisoner and it's ok.

But yes, my concern is with the safety and well being of prisoners. I think that when a person gets out of prison they shouldn't be a worse person than when they came in. 5-25 years of mental and physical abuse isn't the way forward.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Didnt do Dostoyevsky any harm...
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Wow! Way too many scattered thoughts in this thread.

OK. So do people have issue with the countries hard stance against free speech (teachers journalists)?

Or is it about punishing prisoners by making them play WoW?

Or is this about the extent the prisoners are being punished for not making their quotas?
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Have they been sentenced to play wow ? Nope. So this is not about justice and punishment, it's about power abuse from the guards.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Ok.

So as a westerner, we have the right to speak up against the social injustices of China, because our prison guards have absolutely no history of ever abusing our prisoners?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK. So do people have issue with the countries hard stance against free speech (teachers journalists)?
    Yes.
    Or is it about punishing prisoners by making them play WoW?
    Hard labor is their punishment, which is often undeserved and disproportionate by itself. WoW replaces sleep and is an additional punishment that was not handed out by the judicial system.
    Or is this about the extent the prisoners are being punished for not making their quotas?
    So as a westerner, we have the right to speak up against the social injustices of China, because our prison guards have absolutely no history of ever abusing our prisoners?
    Good plan, no one say or do anything and it will all just go away. I will say this for the US judicial system at least there are a series of checks in place where abuse can be ferreted out and even dealt with harshly. The media is free to report on abuse and often does which leads to change. The lawyers and even oversight organizations also help to provide a certain level accountability. In theory The Eighth Amendment protects citizens from cruel and unusual punishments, from imposing excessive bail and excessive fines.

So yea the US has a long way to go, but that doesn't mean we're on the same level as china or can't help the Chinese citizens get to the pitiful levels human rights we have.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    ^ Thread winner. They're already sentenced to hard labour, and that part of it isn't what anyone is up-in-arms about. I'm all for having prisoners work - here in the UK this system is made even better by giving the prisoners a small royalty for their work. It amounts to pennies an hour, but it means by the time they leave prison, they will often at least have a small amount of money in the bank to survive the first few days back in the normal world.

In this case though, this is prison guards profiteering from violating the human rights of the very prisoners that are supposed to be entrusted in their care. You're allowed to disagree of course, but personally if you can't see that this is wrong, I'd have to severely question your moral compass.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes.
    So yea the US has a long way to go, but that doesn't mean we're on the same level as china or can't help the Chinese citizens get to the pitiful levels human rights we have.

Well I kinda disagree with the last bit.. half the time the problem is the US "helping" other countries..
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its OK we still love you Jacque.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    For starters, I have issues with people in Iraq telling us how we should be treating our women, or South African Caucasians telling us how we should be treating our Blacks.

I Don't think we have any right as westerners living in our western bubble to tell any other country how they should 'Act' when we don't even have our own ship in order.

Like or not, more than half your population seems to believe every word Bill O' Reilly says.

Just reeks of:
    From The Country that brought you Abu-ghraib, comes "Lessons in Human Rights":

Abu-ghraib-leash.jpg
    AbuGhraibAbuse-standing-on-box.jpg220px-AG-8.jpg
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10

2nd to Last time I went to jail... the police planted syringes heroin/cocaine in my van.
    I met very few people in Austin who deserved to be in a cage.
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    Yes.

Thankfully, I have found this to be true so far. That by wit and hard work I have used the judicial system to empower myself against what real estate interests would have the police do to squash my life.
  • Noodle!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just reeks of:
    From The Country that brought you Abu-ghraib, comes "Lessons in Human Rights":

Really?

What happened there is heinous, but that doesn't make a message of Human Rights less poignant. Analyze the message and not the messenger.

Besides that, do you think everyone in the whole US have the same opinions? If someone is a human rights activist in a country and someone else is a mass murderer, does that make the opinions of the human rights activist unimportant?

There are many south african caucasians working for equal rights, and were during apartheid. If they recognize an injustice and division in equal rights in the US you'd have an issue with it because South Africa also has issues?

It makes no sense to me at all.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Maybe I'm just a bit astonished that this is even a point for debate, when there's countless occurrences in US prisons every day, yet doesn't make for any discussion at all.

I guess I thought this was a topic of discussion because it was WoW based, which it obviously isn't and therefore probably shouldn't belong on this forum.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    The US should learn from this: don't report on prison abuses and make journalist and dissenters disappear - heck send the internet police to arrest everyone in this thread.

We could also solve the death penalty issue the same way North Korea has, instead of death by lethal injection you just sentence a prisoner to hard labor and let them die from that.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess I thought this was a topic of discussion because it was WoW based, which it obviously isn't and therefore probably shouldn't belong on this forum.

Yep, closed.
This discussion has been closed.