Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] AK-47

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Polygoblin polycounter
Everyone has to make one, right? :P
AK-47 w/ Custom Tiger Paint

I wanted to make the ordinary AK fun and new to look at, so I pumped it up with a custom tiger-stripe paint job.
AK47_T_V5.jpg
AK47_T_V5_wires.jpg

Modeled the hi and lo resolution meshes in Maya, baked with xNormal, textured with Photoshop, and rendered with Marmoset.

Thank you for viewing my work!

Replies

• Grimm_Wrecking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
    a medium grey blin, screen grab, and wires please. Atm its hard to tell if theres geometry pinching on the stock or if its just a really weird shadow.

The hole in the front sight isn't quite rounded enough in the corners. on your's its more of a tight squared edge, vs a smooth rounded look.
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    Thanks, Grimm. I see what you mean.
    wires
    AK47_V9_wires.jpg
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
    Yeah, thats what I thought. This is a high poly yea?
    Add some polies man.
    The stock, the grip and the forward grip could use some more to help get rid of the nerf bat look, and it'll get rid of the pinching on the rear stock. I doubt what you have atm would be horrible for the bake, but for the high, there's little reason to terminate it down like that.
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    I have to make one too XD
  • Purplepaint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Purplepaint polycounter lvl 8
    Next thing to make :) = ak

but good job, lookin good so far
  • Kitteh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitteh polycounter lvl 18
    All your furniture looks kind of amorphous/blobby. You need more control edges to define the shape better.
  • ToxiQ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ToxiQ polycounter lvl 11
    First of all, you did an amazing job on the AWSM and ( no offense) I kind of expected more from you.

OK, this site should be you best friend from now on
    http://www.pixagogo.com/1890304226
    (http://www.pixagogo.com/deicideNBF)

You've many scale and detail inaccuracies, to get rid of them get a good side, back and front reference from the above site, then build (or change) your model around it and make sure you get as many details as possible in your high poly.

Good Luck Mate :)

BTW: I'm working on an AK too :)

bulgarianak74render2.th.jpg
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    I posted some close-ups of one of my AKs in this thread here: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77500

I can take more tomorrow if you would like. I't's not a fixed-stock AK like the early version you're modeling, and it has a stamped rather than a milled receiver, but it could still be useful for you.
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    ToxiQ wrote: »
    You've many scale and detail inaccuracies, to get rid of them get a good side, back and front reference from the above site, then build (or change) your model around it and make sure you get as many details as possible in your high poly.

Thanks, but I have plenty of reference already. I'm curious of what scale and detail inaccuracies you are referring to There were pieces missing (due to the wip nature), so I assume that's what you mean. Either way, I'm glad you liked my AWSM :)

@GarageBay9- Thanks :) I appreciate it, mate. But like I said above, I have plenty of reference shots already.

AK-47 Ref Pack : for anyone who would like to use with my critique, or just to have anyways :p

AK-47 Reference Pack

AK-47 FS Reference Pack

AK Extras Reference Pack

I believe I have finished the hipoly. I've been busy with work and DomWar stuff, so this took the backburner :/ Please let me know if you see any inaccuracies (and please be specific)
    AK47_V12.jpg

Thanks in advance :) Oh, and Happy Thanksgiving to any of my friends from the States :)
  • Spitfire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks tight, are you using 3dsmax? if so you should add some fancy shaders too the highpoly and preview some texturestyles and what not.

Very solid work!
  • Kitteh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some really serious accuracy issues all over. Just compare these photos to your model. The whole thing is too wide, for one thing, and a lot of your shapes are wrong. You've also mistakenly modeled the magazine release and its housing as one chunk, which is totally wrong.

Yeah, the first one is airsoft. Airsoft guns are still about as accurate as it gets, unless they're really cheap/crappy ones.

ZX-AK-47-lg-a.jpg

Now obviously this one has a stamped receiver, not a milled one like yours, but the basic shapes are the same and it should show you what you need to change.

AK47_WOOD_8.jpg

Some more pics:

jk04702.jpg
    arsenalslr96058
    arsenalslr96020
    arsenalslr96021
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    @bobman0021- You're right, thanks :) I get those fixed in a jiffy.

@Spitfire- Thanks, sir :) That would be a good idea. Maybe nothing too strong that is distracting, but a few subtle material hints would do alot of good.

@Kitteh- Thanks for you advice. I don't see how anything you mentioned is too serious, as I can barely tell what you mean by these "shapes" you mention. I see a bit of what you mean, but nothing I can hardly classify as "serious inaccuracies". Secondly, theres no way I'm going to use airsoft reference pics when I have real ones :poly124: Thanks for your time.
  • ToxiQ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ToxiQ polycounter lvl 11
    Sorry but your attitude on doing this is completely wrong:

-You cant have enough reference pictures, every ak is unique but they all have something common

-Kitteh is absolutely right, you have many serious inaccuracies mainly on shapes and proportions which make the gun look very bad.

-Airsoft guns are almost exact replikas of guns, so its ok to use them.
    Like I and Kitteh said before get as much referece as you can
    (watch shooting range videos, go on fpsbanana and look how they done their AK's, play some games which feature the AK like Cod or BF)

I think your main problem is that you misunderstand your reference pictures,
    that leads to inaccurate parts which I and Kitteh are talking about.

I got here something for you:

ak47v12r.jpg

PS: I'm sorry if my post sounds a bit harsh, but you really need to pay attention at our critism

Best regards,
    ToxiQ
  • Kitteh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you can't compare a picture to your model and notice the clear differences, you're gonna have serious problems with your future projects as well.
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    @bobman12- Thanks :) I'll upload some pics when I get home. Right now I'm spending Thanksgiving with the fam :D

@ToxicQ @ Kitteh-

Wow, wth guys? First off, I never said I wasn't going to fix anything. I simply said that I didn't understand these "shape inaccuracies" you both mentioned. Frankly, you guys did a shoddy job of explaining what you mean :poly124:

Comments like these are hard for me to decipher:
    Kitteh wrote: »
    Some really serious accuracy issues all over. Just compare these photos to your model.
    ...and a lot of your shapes are wrong.
    Now obviously this one has a stamped receiver, not a milled one like yours, but the basic shapes are the same and it should show you what you need to change.

What shapes are you talking about? Honestly, I want to know. I'm not trying to be a dick, I'd just like to make my models as good as they can be.
    Kitteh wrote: »
    If you can't compare a picture to your model and notice the clear differences, you're gonna have serious problems with your future projects as well.

I am sorry, as it isn't as clear to me as it is to you ;) I'm willing to accept any crits and you should know that already with our exchanges on my AWSM thread: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74710&page=2

Yes, you are right when you said you can never have too much reference ;)
  • Kitteh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin wrote: »
    @bobman12- Thanks :) I'll upload some pics when I get home. Right now I'm spending Thanksgiving with the fam :D

@ToxicQ @ Kitteh-

Wow, wth guys? First off, I never said I wasn't going to fix anything. I simply said that I didn't understand these "shape inaccuracies" you both mentioned. Frankly, you guys did a shoddy job of explaining what you mean :poly124:

Comments like these are hard for me to decipher:

What shapes are you talking about? Honestly, I want to know. I'm not trying to be a dick, I'd just like to make my models as good as they can be.

I am sorry, as it isn't as clear to me as it is to you ;) I'm willing to accept any crits and you should know that already with our exchanges on my AWSM thread: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74710&page=2

Yes, you are right when you said you can never have too much reference ;)

Well, ToxiQ already pointed out most of the accuracy issues. The edge of the back of the dust cover should be a much softer bevel too, not hard edged like you've modeled it.
  • ToxiQ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ToxiQ polycounter lvl 11
    My name is ToxiQ dammit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:poly122: xD
    Yeah we wanna see results man, hurry up :)
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    Hi-Poly Mesh:
    AK47_V14a.jpg
    AK47_V14b.jpg
    AK47_V14c.jpg
    AK47_V14d.jpg
    AK47_V14e.jpg

Wires:
    AK47_V14WiresA.jpg
    AK47_V14WiresB.jpg

Reference:
    Thank you for viewing my post. Comments/critiques are always welcome.
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    Got around to baking my AK-47 after working on a few other projects for a while.
    AK47.jpg
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    just FYI, the references youve used arent of an actual AK. It's like a movie prop or something. Gun nerds would know the difference (it's a question of whether that bothers you I guess. Keep in mind plenty of FPS players notice the difference)

I know it can be hard to pick up on all the little details and i know people think they can fudge guns cause nobody cares, but being able to see and interpret shapes is an extremely important skill which will apply to every single aspect of art including non-digtial mediums. Neglecting your skills of obvservation by asking people to point out *precisely* the accuracy errors they're seeing will eventually, down the trail, spell the difference between a decent artist and an exceptional artist.

Furthermore, the habit of neglecting study of your subject because you don't want to spend the extra time on it will help you in your professional development but not in your personal artistic development. Save skimming over details for when you're employed and have deadlines. While you're doing this for your own sake, get as much as you can out of it and don't rush.

Studying your subjects in their entirety, at your own pace now, will hone your skills of observation and help you do the same thing very quickly in the future. Artists like gabe and garagebay and toxiq are all spotting the accuracy issues off-hand in -demonstrably- that small amount of time they're willing to spend on your thread, so it's clearly not taking them days of study and observation. If you fancy yourself a competent hard surface artist, particularly if you're interested in doing "Real World" things, you should be aspiring to this level of familiarity with things, and that kind of eye for details.
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    I feel like I'm being portrayed in a very negative light in this thread :( Just trying to get better, guys...

First, thank you very much for your time and explanation :)
    Harry wrote: »
    I know it can be hard to pick up on all the little details and i know people think they can fudge guns cause nobody cares, but being able to see and interpret shapes is an extremely important skill which will apply to every single aspect of art including non-digtial mediums. Neglecting your skills of obvservation by asking people to point out *precisely* the accuracy errors they're seeing will eventually, down the trail, spell the difference between a decent artist and an exceptional artist.

I wasn't "fudging" the gun. This was my second weapon and hard-surface model overall, so I was (and am) still very new to this. I only asked them to point it out "precisely" when they assumed I refused to fix their vague crits and proceeded to bad-mouth me publicly for it. I wasn't going to hog their time pushing them for specifics otherwise... I am still learning and shapening my observational skills and never claim to be an expert.
    Furthermore, the habit of neglecting study of your subject because you don't want to spend the extra time on it will help you in your professional development but not in your personal artistic development. Save skimming over details for when you're employed and have deadlines. While you're doing this for your own sake, get as much as you can out of it and don't rush.

I wasn't "neglecting the study of my subject because I didn't want to spend the time" or "skimming". That's a heck of an assumption... :( As I mentioned before, I am still learning, and I post wips here for feedback for that very reason. If I had perfect observational skills, and did everything right, I'd probably just post final projects and collect paychecks :poly124:
    Studying your subjects in their entirety, at your own pace now, will hone your skills of observation and help you do the same thing very quickly in the future. Artists like gabe and garagebay and toxiq are all spotting the accuracy issues off-hand in -demonstrably- that small amount of time they're willing to spend on your thread, so it's clearly not taking them days of study and observation. If you fancy yourself a competent hard surface artist, particularly if you're interested in doing "Real World" things, you should be aspiring to this level of familiarity with things, and that kind of eye for details.

I know the importance of studying your reference, and I feel I'm getting better at really seeing the smallest of details. Each project gets more and more accurate the first time. I know those guys immediately spot the accuracy issues that make me look like an extremelly bad artist, and I thank them for it, but please don't assume that I don't care about my models :( That paints me in a very bad and unfair light.

I am eager to learn and grow as an artist, and am willing to listen to anybody who honors me with their time and advice. Thanks again.
  • ToxiQ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ToxiQ polycounter lvl 11
    Its ok, I understand you and you get better every time you post. :)
    But take some time and gather reference, for example: look at blueprints of bullets, picantinny rails and mags and try to model them exactly as they appear in your refs. Then try to model your weapons part by part with a side ref to get the length right.

Here's what my old AK74 looks like (note that the viewport of wings3d eats most of the details)
    pgs.png
    pgs3.pngpgs2.png

Don't misunderstand me, I don't think that my AK is perfect and yours is horrible. You just had bad/not true reference pictures that you modelled by. If you still want to make a AK I suggest you to model by the link that I posted earlier.
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    Thanks for the tips, ToxiQ :)

When I was doing my Glock 19, I rented one at my local firing range. The friendly salesman was kind enough to disassemble the entire gun and walk me through the details of all the small things like the trigger bar, the function of the slide, and numerous other safety features. It really helped me get a sense of an object I only saw pictures of online. I think you're right in that I have to do more of that to really immerse myself into my projects. Firing the gun I was about to model was very fun, educational, and motivating :D

I'm also doing alot more sketching which is helping me to recognize shapes and features faster. Things like that, coupled with more blueprints and measurements should benefit me greatly.

Thanks again :)
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    Hey there, I'm texturing this old AK model. I wanted to give it some originality so I came up with a custom tiger paint job.

I'm still far from finished, but I'm to a point where I can start asking for critiques.
    AK47_T_V3.jpg

All C&C is welcome and greatly appreciated.
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    Update. Ditched the orange-painted metal
    AK47_T_V4.jpg
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    AK-47 w/ Custom Tiger Paint

I wanted to make the ordinary AK fun and new to look at, so I pumped it up with a custom tiger-stripe paint job.
    AK47_T_V5.jpg
    AK47_T_V5_wires.jpg

Modeled the hi and lo resolution meshes in Maya, baked with xNormal, textured with Photoshop, and rendered with Marmoset.

Thank you for viewing my work!
  • SnaFuBAR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Should do an NVA theme on it, with carvings in the stock or foregrip. That could be interesting.
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
  • JohnnyCrespo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dont know about these guys, but this is looking pretty good. Everything could use some touching up in any artists work/projects. Keep it up dude.
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heya Ben, how are ya?

Model looks fantastic. About being super accurate with objects: There comes a point to where worrying so much about accuracy is simply a waste of time. It's a video game weapon, and even 'modern' FPS titles like Call of Duty are in alternate universes anyways. Additionally, there are tons of variations of the AK-47 with subtle differences depending on where it was manufactured.

What matters is that based off your reference material, you've made one hell of a model.

My favorite part of your weapons have always been the textures though. Lots of subtle details but also not noisy. Nothing over-exaggerated or out of place either.

I have an SKS. It's basically a larger version of the AK-47. The metal texturing you've done looks nearly identical to it. Fantastic work.

Also, confused:

-You cant have enough reference pictures, every ak is unique but they all have something common

You just had bad/not true reference pictures that you modelled by. If you still want to make a AK I suggest you to model by the link that I posted earlier.

Err...... lolwut
  • ToxiQ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ToxiQ polycounter lvl 11
    RexM wrote: »
    Err...... lolwut

He modelled a film replica which has different shapes to maintain its functions, however my posts refer to a normal military grade ak which every soldier maintains customizes differently..... :)

B2T:
    I think if you just redo the upper reciever to fit a real ak you'll be save of gun nerds like me trolling :poly124:
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    textures look like it belongs in farcry 2 or something
  • mxb8924
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gj man. You did a good job no matter what anyone says, cant wait to see more. :)
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    He modelled a film replica which has different shapes to maintain its functions, however my posts refer to a normal military grade ak which every soldier maintains customizes differently..... :)

B2T:
    I think if you just redo the upper reciever to fit a real ak you'll be save of gun nerds like me trolling :poly124:

You do realize there are a substantial variety of AK-47 variants, right...?
  • SnaFuBAR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you talking about the dust cover? if so, yeah, that shape is entirely wrong, and it is, more or less, nearly the exact same on every ak variant save for ribs and outdents around the fire selector. Any ak cover will fit on every ak model. when you get the shape of that wrong, it stands out.
  • ToxiQ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ToxiQ polycounter lvl 11
    RexM wrote: »
    You do realize there are a substantial variety of AK-47 variants, right...?
    I know that, but all, hell even 74 s & 74u s and saigas(to a certain point) have the same stocks and lower+upper recievers in terms of shape.
    Harry, Kitteh and me said everything that could be improved and Ben improved the model alot but there are still some things that could be improved to make this ak one of the good ak models out there.

I never ment to discourage or even make him down so don't misunderstand me.:\
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    @JohnnyCrespo - Thanks a bunch, mate. I'll continue to learn and grow. I can promise that.

@RexM - Hey bud, I'm doing great. Thanks for asking. I hope all is good on your corner. Thanks alot for your comments, and you did a great job of summing up my stance and feelings about this project. I also really appreciate the support ;)

@n88tr - Thanks, that's the game I had in mind when I was approaching the style, so I'm happy it came across.

@mxb8924 - Much appreciated, man. Much appreciated :)